Fran's Recruiting

Fran's To Do list

1. Upgrade the guard play significantly.
2. Upgrade the guard play significantly.
3. Upgrade the guard play significantly.
4. Get a defensive coach in here that teaches proper help defense. Extend your man defense out passed the perimeter and deny passes ala Duke's typical man to man style.
5. Upgrade the guard play significantly.
6. Hit the transfer portal and get another big man as well while you are shopping for real point guards and faster off guards that can shoot the ball.
Great and true but this is year what? You could say the same exact thing for the last how many years? I am all for people learning every day of life and you are not too old to change but still don't see Fran ever learning and doing what needs to be done to be a serious March team. Some game coaching improvement, recruiting improvement and player development improvement is needed yet class after class seems to show the same warts and never quite reach their potential.

If being honest what is the likelihood Fran completes your to do list this time around? Most likely hold out hope and enjoy the ride and be let down again in the end. Plus next year is scary with Purdue and Maryland on the rise, the big three ahead of us this year still there and of the Wisc./Rutgers/MSU trio 2 of the 3 could be dangerous. Of course we don't seem to match up well with Indiana regardless. Fran and his staff have a bunch to do and do it well.

Great and true but this is year what? You could say the same exact thing for the last how many years? I am all for people learning every day of life and you are not too old to change but still don't see Fran ever learning and doing what needs to be done to be a serious March team. Some game coaching improvement, recruiting improvement and player development improvement is needed yet class after class seems to show the same warts and never quite reach their potential.

If being honest what is the likelihood Fran completes your to do list this time around? Most likely hold out hope and enjoy the ride and be let down again in the end. Plus next year is scary with Purdue and Maryland on the rise, the big three ahead of us this year still there and of the Wisc./Rutgers/MSU trio 2 of the 3 could be dangerous. Of course we don't seem to match up well with Indiana regardless. Fran and his staff have a bunch to do and do it well.
Agree on all points. I don't think we will ever be anymore than what we are under Fran. Good, but not great.

Joe Tousaint has been here awhile and I still don't know what to think of him. During games, he still seems to revert to street/playground play. He has the quicks to do good things but.......... I just don't know.

Agree on all points. I don't think we will ever be anymore than what we are under Fran. Good, but not great.
Another realist :)
Joe Tousaint has been here awhile and I still don't know what to think of him. During games, he still seems to revert to street/playground play. He has the quicks to do good things but.......... I just don't know.
Guess he is more of a project which is fine but Fran needs to get some better quicker players in general more than projects that fall to him.

Of course not exactly brain surgery. JT needs to have a little push shot and not over drive and get stuck under the basket. Stop with the charges and the hot dog unnecesary behind the back stuff. Would figure he we have progressed more by the end of the year and been a good weapon and taken more time away from JBo actually. Didn't have to worry about Garza as he and Frank did his work thankfully so more time to work with others. Kinda seeing more improvement in the young forwards like Kegan and PMac more than the guards. Pretty funny as Fran was a guard right? And "White Magic" so not sure what is going on. Even guys like Moss and Dailey I was underwhelmed with vs. the potential I saw in them.

JT reminds me of Andre Woolridge. He has the tools and potential to be that. Hopefully he comes along. We are certainly gonna need him to be like that for the most team success.

JT reminds me of Andre Woolridge. He has the tools and potential to be that. Hopefully he comes along. We are certainly gonna need him to be like that for the most team success.
Other than not being the same skin color and looking nothing like him, JT reminds me of Fackler off of Police Academy. Both natural disasters waiting to happen.
1616704489335.png

If Wieskamp comes back next year we should be pretty good on offense. But if he doesn't, our team is going to look completely different. We will need to win games in the 60s. The team will excel at all the things people on here complain about. Problem is, they will also struggle with all the things Fran is normally good at. People are going to find out real quick that they don't necessarily want better shot creators and better defenders. They simply want better players.

He seems like he can get that pull up jumper in the lane whenever he wants. He doesn't make it often now, but you gotta wonder if he will become more sure of himself when he's not worrying whether or not he should be deferring to better options. Could go either way for him next year.

Yeah Perkins seems like an aggressive guy that's not afraid. Not sure about his skill level just yet with his ball handling and shooting. But dude defends and hustles and is physically capable of doing them at a higher level. Two things we need more of the most.

JT would have to make a significant leap with his pace of play and just court awareness/IQ out there to be what we'd all like but hopefully he can. I'm ok with his limited range so long as he isn't turning it over a lot and plays well.

Agree on Ulis as well. It'd be tough to try evaluating what little we've seen of him too much. He's got a solid PG body though. It'll be fun to see him develop

All that plus

Patrick and Keegan can create their own shots

I never know what Patrick is going to do

Keegan is right here also

Perkins has no fear

Purdue is the only team I can think of that will have a good team left over from the year before. Teams like Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Rutgers are basically losing every reason they were good this year. Obviously they will fill in missing pieces, and some will do it better than we do. But like I said, Purdue pretty much stands alone in having a good returning team.

Weren't we the other school that Vanderbilt's DJ Harvey considered?

Indiana and Minnesota have plenly in the portal, and now Wisconsin's Trevor Anderson has put his name in. But Penn State takes the cake. I counted FIVE Nittanies entering the portal.

Wow! The days of Pat Chambers turning the corner with that program seem like decades ago. The downward slide began with Tony Carr leaving early for the NBA.

All that plus

Patrick and Keegan can create their own shots

I never know what Patrick is going to do

Keegan is right here also

Perkins has no fear
CJ can create his own shots. So can JW. So can JT. Yes, in different ways and with varying success. But they draw attention with their skill set.