Fran's contract extension was premature

ibahawkeye

I was one of the few that didn't like it a the time and it has a possiblity to come back and be bad move. Fran had things going in the right direction, absolutley, but I don't think there was a need for the extension and now we have him signed for an extended period of time. Look at what Miles at Nebraska or Fred in Ames has done. Steady improvement after 2 years wasn't enough in my opinion to warrant the extension.

With all of that said.... I'm not ready to give up on Fran and I'm not calling for his head by any means. I just wish Barta would have sat tight rather than have Fran signed to 2019. I think Fran still has more to prove.

In today's world, you basically have to give extensions out pretty frequently for recruiting purposes if nothing else. Even though this year may not have lived up to expectations, Fran still has improved the team every year he's been there.

I said it at the time of the extension and got killed.

But why don't you add something to the conversation rather than just waste your 1 post a day on this?

You got it.

It's an ignorant opinion..ignorant of the big picture, which is what the program needs and what an AD looks at. When he was hired, most everyone said year four would be the first realistic year for the team to make it to the NCAA's given the utter crater of a waste hole the program had devolved into. While it's not with momentum or fanfare, they're likely in the tournament...in year four.

The arena is full again, people are interested. The team plays an entertaining brand of basketball. Fran is recruiting to be expected.

So, that's why its ignorant. Because the expectations of some fans are out of whack and they are insufferable in their self loathing.

BLAME THE EXTENSION!!!! If Barta had not given Fran a contract extension, bringing his salary up to a respectable level compared to the rest of the Big Ten coaches, this end of season collapse would not have happened.

You got it.

It's an ignorant opinion..ignorant of the big picture, which is what the program needs and what an AD looks at. When he was hired, most everyone said year four would be the first realistic year for the team to make it to the NCAA's given the utter crater of a waste hole the program had devolved into. While it's not with momentum or fanfare, they're likely in the tournament...in year four.

The arena is full again, people are interested. The team plays an entertaining brand of basketball. Fran is recruiting to be expected.

So, that's why its ignorant. Because the expectations of some fans are out of whack and they are insufferable in their self loathing.

Agree. So why not just wait until after year 4? Barta would have had 4 years of work to evaluate and would have had a feel of the momentum of the program now. Although we will get our name called on Sunday, felt like we had more momentum after year 2 than we do year 4.

You got it.

Tired of seeing countless coaches do it in one or two years. Yeah, Lick had us in a pretty low place - but Fran's had four years of a player named to first team BIG.

You got it.

Now compare our situation to Iowa State's and explain how we should be happy with what we have and not expected to want what they have. I'm not even talking about a Blue Blood program or even a program in another state. How can you sell that load to Iowa fans when all they have to do is look a couple of hundred miles west and see that your explanation is just a load of excuses.
What about Nebraska? Talk about a basketball wasteland! They managed to hire a coach that has taken that "waste hole" and gone from 10th to 4th place and into the NCAA tournament in his second season.
Sorry Jon, I'm not buying it.

What Fran has done at Iowa in a short time is amazing. I think people get frustrated with the rotation, and all of the close losses. I do too. But I think this team has a good coach, they just may need a psychiatrist.

Tired of seeing countless coaches do it in one or two years. Yeah, Lick had us in a pretty low place - but Fran's had four years of a player named to first team BIG.

Pretty low place? Dude...that doesn't even scratch the surface. An historically low point for the Iowa program, and the Iowa program doesn't have recruiting advantages that most of its peers have. It was a smoldering crater of suck.

Now compare our situation to Iowa State's and explain how we should be happy with what we have and not expected to want what they have. I'm not even talking about a Blue Blood program or even a program in another state. How can you sell that load to Iowa fans when all they have to do is look a couple of hundred miles west and see that your explanation is just a load of excuses.
What about Nebraska? Talk about a basketball wasteland! They managed to hire a coach that has taken that "waste hole" and gone from 10th to 4th place and into the NCAA tournament in his second season.
Sorry Jon, I'm not buying it.

Fred Hoiberg has done a phenomenal job. Incredible. Frankly, it may be one of the best hires given the risk and zero experience I can think of. They do things a different way and it has worked...and many Iowa fans wouldnt tolerate taking transfers....at least, that's what they act like

If anyone thinks that Barta is going to fire Fran they are insane. An athletic director doesn't get a chance to hire a third bball coach at a major program. Barta will go down with the ship if this turns out badly.

Fred Hoiberg has done a phenomenal job. Incredible. Frankly, it may be one of the best hires given the risk and zero experience I can think of. They do things a different way and it has worked...and many Iowa fans wouldnt tolerate taking transfers....at least, that's what they act like
And Tim Miles? I think you can see what I am getting at. It might be easy to have patience if we weren't surrounded by examples of coaches/programs doing more. There is absolutely ZERO reason for Nebraska to be sitting in a better place than Iowa, in College Basketball.

Yes Jon it's Fran's fault that White had 5 pts and Mel 1 pt and Mike 1 pt and Woody 0 pts. This team IMO is missing some emotion and fire. Jarod hits 3 3's and you were lucky to even see a smile on anyones face on the floor.It seems there is no vocal leader on the floor. I think we will be a better all around team next yr and still have hope they can put a run together in the NCAA. I am not even close to losing confidence in Fran and what he has done and will do at Iowa.

If anyone thinks that Barta is going to fire Fran they are insane. An athletic director doesn't get a chance to hire a third bball coach at a major program. Barta will go down with the ship if this turns out badly.
That's why Barta should be fired. Frankly, he should have been fired after the Lickliter debacle.

Funny I was going to come on this morning and start a thread about Fran's performance. Here are my thoughts:

-Fran has had 4 seasons in 4 seasons what do we have a couple NIT wins and 5th and 6th place conference finishes C- to D+
-Player development
-Marble-Probably can credit some of this to Fran he is a difference maker on court
-White-Frustrating to watch and jumper production has become non-existent
-McCabe-about the same since sophomore year on
-Oglesby-while he makes everything in practice not fast enough to defend or create on Offense
-Basabe-Total Jekyll and Hyde sometimes he is phenomenal ie Michigan games and against NW can't do crap?
-Clemmons-A guy who started 13 games for you as a Freshman now all the sudden he can't play anymore? Or at least it appears from his playing time he lost the ability to play.
-Gesell-Can't hit a shot to save his life all the sudden (see 0-10 including a layup and at least 5 WIDE OPEN shot attempts)

Frankly, while the brand of bball is more exciting this coaching staff fails to understand how to make adjustments. If I see one more game where they are running the same tired wing screens to try and get Oglesby the ball in the same position that Everyone in the Big 10 knows he's getting it I might puke. The total inability to get the kids motivated is on FRAN yes I said it. I believe this train has peaked it's production and is NOT headed higher than what we saw this year and last. Fans it's as good as it is going to get.

I would. Frankly, I wish Fran had done that as well. Things are working out ok in the end, sure, but Fran is at least 2-3 years behind the pace Fred set at ISU. Fred DID WHAT IT TOOK to get some talent injected quickly, and you know what? They are now going to their 3rd straight NCAA tournament while Iowa is "probably" looking at their first.

I don't see what is wrong with taking transfers.. As if there is some moral high ground to recruiting players out of high school. As if either Iowa or ISU was in a position to be picky 4 years ago...

As for the extension, it was warranted. It's not like we're talking a KF-type extension for the next 10 years or something. IIRC, it was an extra 1-2 years and maybe a slight bump in pay? Big deal.

Latest posts