Frans ability to recruit a legit B1G point guard

Thanks

Thanks for throwing Bowen’s name out there. Since we are primarily signing three star recruits I don’t pay a lot of attention to recruiting in either football or basketball.

What’s an average season in basketball looked like generally over the years? fourth to sixth place in the conference? That kind of results isn’t going to generate a lot of interest in following recruiting. At least not for me as I have a very time consuming career.

Whats worse yet is our history of early outs in the NCAA tournament. A really really good coach can take average to good players and get them ready for tourney play and make some noise when they get there. That’s not the Iowa basketball program. That’s bee Very frustrating. I wonder if our boys expel so much energy trying to get to the tourney during the regular season that maybe by tournament time they are burned out.

Everyone thought last season would be a break through year for Fran. The only thing that broke was the ice and we fell through it. Very disappointing.
“Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.” You fill the bill.

Well if he plays thirty minutes a game and only scores eight points I would not consider him much of a threat offensively considering how often a point guard handles the ball. Throw sixteen points a game in there and now your talking.

1643852855734.png
"How would you like to be a Spotted Elephant?"
"Or a Choo-Choo with square wheels on your caboose?"
"Or a water pistol that shoots... jelly?"
"We're all misfits!"
"How would you like to be a bird that doesn't fly? I swim!"
"Or a cowboy who rides... an ostrich?"
"Or a b-b-boat that can't stay af-a-afloat?"
"Or a guard at Iowa that can't shoot?"
"We're all misfits!"

Well if he plays thirty minutes a game and only scores eight points I would not consider him much of a threat offensively considering how often a point guard handles the ball. Throw sixteen points a game in there and now your talking.
Please name a BT point guard who averages 16 points per game. Seriously. Are there any?

JBo, Ulis, Joe T

0-18

This song goes through my head.

JBo, Ulis, Joe T

0-18

This song goes through my head.

Please name a BT point guard who averages 16 points per game. Seriously. Are there any?
Johnny Davis, Bryce McGowens, Jaden Ivey, Payton Willis, Alfonso Plummer, Eric Ayala, Brad Davidson

Johnny Davis, Bryce McGowens, Jaden Ivey, Payton Willis, Alfonso Plummer, Eric Ayala, Brad Davidson
giphy.gif

Depends on the team makeup. There are many teams who don't have PG's who get 10-16 pts a game but affect the game.

I'll take a PG who excels at lock-down defense, dishes out half dozen assists, maybe gets 6-8 pts and takes care of the ball any day. This kind of player can have a huge affect on a game and really play into "team net points". Say that lock down defender is guarding the other teams quickest or best player and holds said player well under his average in pts. That could be a 12-20 swing in net points. In addition, the PG may have speed like JT and be able to push the pace of the game.

My point is the many people get locked in on pt's scored for every player. Some players have a role that is different but still have a huge affect on the game.

Hell, I'd look past the pts scored for a player and take that any day. Fran usually has enough scoring on the floor at the other 4 positions anyway.

Last edited:

I just looked up the scoring averages for guards in the BT. I was not really surprised to see quite a few. I wasn’t thinking of including the 2 guards as you did. So there you go.

I just looked up the scoring averages for guards in the BT. I was not really surprised to see quite a few. I wasn’t thinking of including the 2 guards as you did. So there you go.
II am not trying to give you a bad time. We all know Fran has fallen short in this area. What may be debatable is whether part of that is recruiting or a lack of proper coaching. I would lean toward being able to close the deal on the top recruits. We know he has recruited some pretty good guards, but just came up short a few times in signing them. So Fran is good at identifying top talent. Hopefully this four star freshmen coming in can finally end that streak. Hoping.

Last edited: