Frans ability to recruit a legit B1G point guard

It is a big negative on Fran's tenure. Fran was a top point guard himself so you would think he could make that connection and draw in a player who could for two years just put the team on their shoulders.

It's surprising that we haven't landed a really good point guard lately. I would assume Fran thought he hit the jackpot with Joe T, but that train is off the tracks and it makes you wonder why. I know when players are younger you might think you have the next superstar, but as they move into high school ball everyone passes them in talent and they are never a factor. Possible that same thing happens from that transition from high school to college. Don't know Joe T high school stats but guessing they were impressive. Move to next level and wham...turns out you peaked in high school and now everyone is heads and shoulders above you.

I'm pretty sure the kid coming in next year is a 4 star. I think it's a combo of having Connor for the last 5 years and a bit of bad luck with some kids he got in on early ending up way too good and they go somewhere else.

Ulis and JT certainly seemed to be good recruits. They are as quick as any BT guards, play very solid D, and don’t allow the “blow by” everybody bitches about, at least rarely. They are not turnover prone, get a fair amount of assists. But, yeah. Their offensive production has been really disappointing. Perfection is hard to come by, but we need more points from our PG’s.

Ulis and JT certainly seemed to be good recruits. They are as quick as any BT guards, play very solid D, and don’t allow the “blow by” everybody bitches about, at least rarely. They are not turnover prone, get a fair amount of assists. But, yeah. Their offensive production has been really disappointing. Perfection is hard to come by, but we need more points from our PG’s.
Am I missing something PSU blew by all our guards at will last night. We don't have a B1G PG on this team.

Well said by everyone.

They are crowding back on Murray because our points can’t break down the opponents defense. If they could break down their defense it would cause the post players to come out to guard our guards and give Keeg an even chance to go one on one instead of being double or tripled teamed.

Wide open shots from the outside need to be made by our point guards also. Otherwise they just sag back and clog up the lane and. Neutralize Keeg.

If a team is physical on the perimeter, it’s good night for our guards. They absolutely can not handle that. Fran has really good out of bounds plays, but his half court offense is…nothing special

I'm pretty sure the kid coming in next year is a 4 star. I think it's a combo of having Connor for the last 5 years and a bit of bad luck with some kids he got in on early ending up way too good and they go somewhere else.
I sure hope your right about the kid coming in being a four star. If so I hope he fills this gap in our program.

Why am I skeptical though. It seems like the point guards we get are scraps that everyone else passed up because they knew better. Seems to be a common thread with the four star quarterbacks we have gotten too.

Would love to see Ulis show some genes in his DNA resemble his brother’s skills.
Damn we were so close to getting his brother.

I sure hope your right about the kid coming in being a four star. If so I hope he fills this gap in our program.

Why am I skeptical though. It seems like the point guards we get are scraps that everyone else passed up because they knew better. Seems to be a common thread with the four star quarterbacks we have gotten too.

Would love to see Ulis show some genes in his DNA resemble his brother’s skills.
Damn we were so close to getting his brother.
And then, how many minutes will his boys get while he watches from the bench from long stretches of the game?

How old is the younger McCaffery? How much longer does he have before coming here? Some say he is the best of the three.

And then, how many minutes will his boys get while he watches from the bench from long stretches of the game?

How old is the younger McCaffery? How much longer does he have before coming here? Some say he is the best of the three.
Well if he is the best of the three then maybe he will be the one that makes the difference.

Patrick is showing signs of becoming really good. He looks great and then not so great. I know it’s basketball and these type of up and downs happen. By junior year the ups should far outweigh the downs. So next season should define Patrick. However his height has put him more into the category of a small forward more than a guard.

Still waiting for someone to break through the ice at the point guard position like Keeg did at the forward position. Can’t imagine at this point who it would be.

Yeah Ulis and JT just can't/don't score. They can hit FTs when they get to the line but they don't get there often enough to make an impact at it. I was hoping Ulis could turn into a player. He's got the size one likes with the position he just can't seem to score much or be consistent.

Dasante Bowen who they have coming next yr is 6'3 and more of a scoring/shooting threat it sounds like. He was a highly sought after kid that Fran landed so no pressure on the kid but there's gonna be pressure on him to be the guy we've been looking for the last 10 plus yrs...

Yeah Ulis and JT just can't/don't score. They can hit FTs when they get to the line but they don't get there often enough to make an impact at it. I was hoping Ulis could turn into a player. He's got the size one likes with the position he just can't seem to score much or be consistent.

Dasante Bowen who they have coming next yr is 6'3 and more of a scoring/shooting threat it sounds like. He was a highly sought after kid that Fran landed so no pressure on the kid but there's gonna be pressure on him to be the guy we've been looking for the last 10 plus yrs...
Thanks

Thanks for throwing Bowen’s name out there. Since we are primarily signing three star recruits I don’t pay a lot of attention to recruiting in either football or basketball.

What’s an average season in basketball looked like generally over the years? fourth to sixth place in the conference? That kind of results isn’t going to generate a lot of interest in following recruiting. At least not for me as I have a very time consuming career.

Whats worse yet is our history of early outs in the NCAA tournament. A really really good coach can take average to good players and get them ready for tourney play and make some noise when they get there. That’s not the Iowa basketball program. That’s bee Very frustrating. I wonder if our boys expel so much energy trying to get to the tourney during the regular season that maybe by tournament time they are burned out.

Everyone thought last season would be a break through year for Fran. The only thing that broke was the ice and we fell through it. Very disappointing.

Thanks

Thanks for throwing Bowen’s name out there. Since we are primarily signing three star recruits I don’t pay a lot of attention to recruiting in either football or basketball.

What’s an average season in basketball looked like generally over the years? fourth to sixth place in the conference? That kind of results isn’t going to generate a lot of interest in following recruiting. At least not for me as I have a very time consuming career.

Whats worse yet is our history of early outs in the NCAA tournament. A really really good coach can take average to good players and get them ready for tourney play and make some noise when they get there. That’s not the Iowa basketball program. That’s bee Very frustrating. I wonder if our boys expel so much energy trying to get to the tourney during the regular season that maybe by tournament time they are burned out.

Everyone thought last season would be a break through year for Fran. The only thing that broke was the ice and we fell through it. Very disappointing.
Check out Bowens highlights sometime. He's got a good shot. Shoots off the dribble really well from deep and with his length can slither to the hoop. Can dunk in in traffic. Haven't had a PG that could do that since MG and that wasn't a lot. I would think if he's not a TO machine he could play quite a bit day one just because he can score compared to the other two.

Gessell was a 4 star kid and 4 year starter. I know many didn't appreciate him, but you can't say he was not a legit Big10 PG. I won't mention JBO for the same reason.

Finding a PG that plays great D, can take it to the hoop, can distribute, AND can shoot the 3 is pretty damned rare in college basketball, and those guys are lottery picks. I am not going to bag on Fran for not landing a unicorn. For years, everyone on here has complained that we have slow PGs who cannot penetrate or play perimeter defense. Now, we have that, and everyone is complaining they cannot score. Sigh.

IMHO, we have a legit PG in JT, but Fran does not like/trust him for some reason. His defense is undeniable, his speed is off the charts, he can take it to the rack and ocassionally hit a bucket, and he is not as bad of a turnover machine as he used to be. If Fran played JT 30 minutes, I think he could be an 8 points, 6 assists, 3 steals sort of guy. If he keeps his TOs to 3 or less, those are legit numbers. But alas, Fran would rather give his minutes to JBO Do Nothing, Uhlis Can's Score, or even Connor I finally found the range for 1 game.