Fran Visits 5* 2012 Recruit

Fran must be the hardest working coach we have every had. This guy is everywhere. I know we are going to miss out on a lot of the guys we shoot for but at least we are out there trying.

I gotta say, I think the players should take note of the work ethic FM seems to be showing on the recruiting trail. It is a breath of fresh air.

I understand where everyone is coming from but I just don't see a shot here and I just think FM's time and limited recruiting visits are better spent on more viable recruits.

But again, as I have said twice now, maybe he knows something that is not immediately obvious.

This all being said, it could be that FM has seen the writing on the wall and has decided to put all his cards in the 2012 class. If he does feel he has a legit shot at Paige and the rest of the Iowa kids, then he might think he has a better shot at some other top kids in the region. It does make a little sense because top players like to come with top players. The practice facility will be up and running as well.

Now, if he goes all in in 2012 without having signed a decent 2011 class, he could double-up or be out of the game.

Wasn't it you that said the coach has to get top recruits within two years to determine his success? How can he land those recruits if he doesn't give them an opportunity to say "yes" or "no"? Maybe the kid called him... Maybe the coach called him and the kid said he'd like to chat with him... Point is, Fran has been around it a lot more than anyone on this board... so I take him being there as a good sign. Whether he lands the kid or not...

Is being there mean success to the program? No. But a program can't do what the previous coach did either...

Wasn't it you that said the coach has to get top recruits within two years to determine his success? How can he land those recruits if he doesn't give them an opportunity to say "yes" or "no"? Maybe the kid called him... Maybe the coach called him and the kid said he'd like to chat with him... Point is, Fran has been around it a lot more than anyone on this board... so I take him being there as a good sign. Whether he lands the kid or not...

Is being there mean success to the program? No. But a program can't do what the previous coach did either...

I was going to say this as well. CAAR really got on my nerves all spring with that kind of stuff. Though I've found that while we butt heads a little when it comes to basketball, I do thoroughly enjoy discussing football with him.

I like that FM is going after him. There's a connection between Iowa and this kid, and you've got to see where you can get with that. We might not get him, but with the connection as well as what seems to be a lead for guys like Paige, I don't think it's as much of a longshot as it seems at first glance.

Personally, I think it's great that Coach McCaffery and his staff are throwing out a wide net. You never know when you might snag that big fish that you wouldn't have caught if you hadn't tried.

I was going to say this as well. CAAR really got on my nerves all spring with that kind of stuff. Though I've found that while we butt heads a little when it comes to basketball, I do thoroughly enjoy discussing football with him.

I like that FM is going after him. There's a connection between Iowa and this kid, and you've got to see where you can get with that. We might not get him, but with the connection as well as what seems to be a lead for guys like Paige, I don't think it's as much of a longshot as it seems at first glance.

I have to disagree with you that its not a longshot, but agree with you that there is no harm in trying and at least a 5* is willing to listen to what is on offer.

Having a problem with trying to get a 5* player blows my mind. Fran will know if he's interested or not.

Selling is all about selling good product in an honest way and being in a right place at the right time. Iowa has not had a good product in recent years, but the Coach is selling good future product at this point - playing time, exciting brand of basketball, chance to be the man in an exciting program. I am sure the coach is not traveling to Kansas to be away from his family for a couple of days - there is some interest on the other side obviously. You have to be bold in selling - you never know when you might strike the gold.

7 years ago my small Iowa City - based software company with best product but only 3 people dared to approach biggest electronics manufacturer to sell them software. I was told by my investors that was waste of time. Our much bigger competitors came in fancy SUVs with 2 hour power point presentation and full of themselves. We came and did 2 day detailed presentation, presented advantages and disadvantages, and won the multiyear contract. We had to contract with a bigger firm to help implementation worldwide, but we won the contract. That is why I live in Round Rock/ Austin area now. I learned over the years, being at right place at the right time is huge part of selling.

The Coach and his stuff will find way to sell their proghram, our University, and Iowa City and develop a great program. Hard work will pay off.

Quite honestly I don't understand the lack of interest in playing for Iowa has to be more than what is being told. It only takes a couple of recruits to turn this program around. Are we the only university not paying these athletes? Something is not right.

Don't you think it might be better to spend his time more efficiently? I mean if he pulled this kid it would be insane, because that list of coaches would be hard to compete against.

It just doesn't seem too realistic.

I know you can't win if you don't play. But that doesn't mean you should throw a bunch of money down on a questionable hand.

But, who knows, maybe Fran knows something here.

Yeah....these comments remind of the stuff that drops out of the backside of a bull. So you are suggesting we accpept our position at the bottom of the B10 and recruit kids we know we can get. Pretty dim view of things.

I have to disagree with you that its not a longshot, but agree with you that there is no harm in trying and at least a 5* is willing to listen to what is on offer.

Oh I'm not saying it isn't still a longshot. But I don't think it's a Harrison Barnes longshot, which is what it seemed like CAAR was thinking.

lol. good grief the coach has been at it what all of six months? Be patient, give him a little time. Honestly do you want Lickliter back?

Oh I'm not saying it isn't still a longshot. But I don't think it's a Harrison Barnes longshot, which is what it seemed like CAAR was thinking.

Yeah, that was pretty much what I was thinking. But wow, if we take a step back and think, a 5 star kid from Iowa is a bigger long shot than a 5 star kid from Kansas? I mean, just ruminate on that for a minute. No way anyone can win with situations like that.

AGAIN, look at the end of my first post. I said, "maybe Fran knows something." That is a qualifier that means I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt even though this does not look like a situation in which Iowa can win considering that there are no other recruits.

And yes, I was that one that said you will most likely be able to tell in FM's first two years whether he will be able to make it recruiting to Iowa. I have said in this case you might be able to stretch it to the third recruiting class because of the practice facility and the depth of the Iowa 2012 class. However, I thought that he had to at least have a reasonably respectable class in 2011 for those 2012 kids to have faith that it could get turned around and for the overall perception of the program to be more positive.

lol. good grief the coach has been at it what all of six months? Be patient, give him a little time. Honestly do you want Lickliter back?

Lackluster won't be employed for some time. Not a biggie as he's still laughing all the way to the bank. However, it's hard not to be at least concerned with the lack of commitments for the '11 class. Looks like the Clowns picked up another guard today. Hoiberg is building a strong program out West. Frankly, Iowa BB needs some good news soon. Fran cannot bank on the '12 Iowa class. We need some very solid guys out of the '11 class.

Lackluster won't be employed for some time. Not a biggie as he's still laughing all the way to the bank. However, it's hard not to be at least concerned with the lack of commitments for the '11 class. Looks like the Clowns picked up another guard today. Hoiberg is building a strong program out West. Frankly, Iowa BB needs some good news soon. Fran cannot bank on the '12 Iowa class. We need some very solid guys out of the '11 class.

I agree with this.. Fran needs to have a good start, and I honestly believe it all has to start with recruiting. I realize we probably aren't going to get any 4-5* type players right off the bat, but I sure hope that the first full class turns out to be made up of some guys that can at least be solid and get us back to being respectable again.

If it's more or less a wasted class, Fran will have dug himself a hole, and not sure if he would be able to climb out. We need to get some positive momentum right out of the gates, because the honeymoon doesn't last long.

McCaffery isn't a miracle worker. He needs some decent players to get things started. Can't get blood from a stone..

Yeah, that was pretty much what I was thinking. But wow, if we take a step back and think, a 5 star kid from Iowa is a bigger long shot than a 5 star kid from Kansas? I mean, just ruminate on that for a minute. No way anyone can win with situations like that.

AGAIN, look at the end of my first post. I said, "maybe Fran knows something." That is a qualifier that means I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt even though this does not look like a situation in which Iowa can win considering that there are no other recruits.

And yes, I was that one that said you will most likely be able to tell in FM's first two years whether he will be able to make it recruiting to Iowa. I have said in this case you might be able to stretch it to the third recruiting class because of the practice facility and the depth of the Iowa 2012 class. However, I thought that he had to at least have a reasonably respectable class in 2011 for those 2012 kids to have faith that it could get turned around and for the overall perception of the program to be more positive.

The top player in the country isn't going to go to Iowa when they are in the middle of the worst stretch in program history, especially when the coach who was running the ship during that time is still there. Fran has a better shot at this kid than Lickliter had with Barnes, IMO. He's still very much a longshot, but perhaps not as much as you might think.

Now I am not sure exactly what this positive momentum for the basketball team is? The early signing period is quickly approaching and Iowa does not have one verbal. People are speculating about guys they think are Iowa's to lose, but nobody has pulled the trigger. You do realize that Iowa is the only school in the Big Ten without a verbal from a 2011 recruit, right?

Now we see a story about FM recruiting some 2012 kid that has offers from all over the place and is awaiting more, and that is momentum? Really? Is it momentum for Witchita State because they have an offer out to this kid?

I am sorry, but it seems like the same kind of longshot like the kid from North Carolina or the one from California. Just seems like he might have a better shot going for kids from in-state, JUCO's, Euro's, and maybe some guys who fell through some cracks for other reasons. Find a Gary Trent, or Stephen Curry, or Reggie Evans, or Luke Recker (after the car crash.)

Just seems like if you get a couple of these types and it will open the door to some of the heavily recruited 5 stars in the future.

But like I said in my first post, "Maybe Fran knows something." I was serious about that because it doesn't seem at all immediately likely the kid would become a Hawk.

Now it has been about two weeks ago that this was posted and now Iowa has landed a Top 150 Recruit (Oglesby) and a very solid 3-star player in White. If people would just pay attention to what Fran is doing, there is a plan in place and he is executing that plan.
Expect Iowa to secure at least one more commit soon, thinking probably Kravish since he visited with White so there is a connection already.
This is setting up big things for Iowa, you may think I am getting ahead of myself, but just watch.
I will say time and time again, this is not the same Iowa Basketball program we are used to. This era of Iowa Basketball will be like the Golden Years with Olson, Raveling and Davis. The 2010 class was a solid foundation, now more pieces in place with the 2011 that is incomplete at this point. Two of three guys: Kravish, Harris and McDonald, I want all three, but I believe we can only get two.
POSITIVE MOMENTUM, I repeat, Fran is going to continue to get good to great players and build Iowa back to a power in the Big Ten.

sportstalent...I agree. I have talked with Coach Fran a number of times and I'm very impressed. I think Kravish is the next key piece to the 2011 class and I think Adam Woodbury is the key to 2012. Get those 2 guys and we are on our way.

Actually, 2012 will hinge greatly upon Point Guard. The need for a playmaker, a guy to run the O and set tempo is key.

Actually, 2012 will hinge greatly upon Point Guard. The need for a playmaker, a guy to run the O and set tempo is key.

I still think Cully can develop into a good PG, but Paige is the kind of player we need to keep regardless. Making Cully the #2 would make for great depth.

Latest posts