Fran Visits 5* 2012 Recruit

Six head coaches traveled to Wichita Heights H.S. on Wednesday night to check out ESPNU Super 60 forward Perry Ellis, his mother confirmed to ESPN.com.

In attendance were Greg Marshall (Wichita State), Jeff Capel (Oklahoma), Mark Turgeon (Texas A&M), Johnny Dawkins (Stanford), Frank Martin (Kansas State) and Fran McCaffery (Iowa), according to Fonda Ellis.

Good to hear he's at least out there working.

Of course a super long shot on this guy but it certainly would be awesome if we stole a stud from Kansas after they got ours.

I think Tom Davis might have retired here if it wouldn't have been for those Iowa guys who jumped ship for Kansas.

Of course a super long shot on this guy but it certainly would be awesome if we stole a stud from Kansas after they got ours.

I was just thinking that payback is a b!tch.. Would be to great to see it happen, albeit unlikely this kid ends up anything other than a Jayhawk I would guess.

I like that Fran is going into other states to try and grab some of the big fish.. Can't win if you don't play!!!

Don't you think it might be better to spend his time more efficiently? I mean if he pulled this kid it would be insane, because that list of coaches would be hard to compete against.

It just doesn't seem too realistic.

I know you can't win if you don't play. But that doesn't mean you should throw a bunch of money down on a questionable hand.

But, who knows, maybe Fran knows something here.

Last edited:
I love it!!!!!!! At least we have some interest from 4 and 5 star recruits. It can only help land more quality kids in the future. Whether we land them or not, I think having these recruits even showing interst will help legitimize the program. Go Fran

Don't you think it might be better to spend his time more efficiently? I mean if he pulled this kid it would be insane, because that list of coaches would be hard to compete against.

I know you can't win if you don't play. But that doesn't mean you should throw a bunch of money down on a questionable hand.

"The 2012 five-star prospect has some interesting connections not only to the state of Iowa, but the Hawkeyes too. Find out more about the visit and Iowa's chances here."
The teaser on Hawkeyereport.com, Its probably like his grandpa was a baseball player in the 70s or something extreme. But I am curious to know how the kid has links to the Hawkeyes.

"The 2012 five-star prospect has some interesting connections not only to the state of Iowa, but the Hawkeyes too. Find out more about the visit and Iowa's chances here."
The teaser on Hawkeyereport.com, Its probably like his grandpa was a baseball player in the 70s or something extreme. But I am curious to know how the kid has links to the Hawkeyes.

His mother was born and raised in Iowa and his head coach graduated from University of Iowa as well. I don't know how to link, so I'll just post this short blurb I found.....

By Alex Kline
Perry Ellis, a rising junior from Kansas, keeps adding on to his list of new offers.
The newest offer comes from Fran McCaffery of Iowa. The Hawkeyes offered today. Ellis now has offers from Wake Forest, Wichita State, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, Texas A&M, Memphis, Oklahoma, as well as Iowa.
Perry and the people around him have various connections to Iowa. “My mom grew up in the state of Iowa,â€￾ he said. “My head coach, Joe Auer, graduated from the University of Iowa, as well. I don’t find it surprising that they are recruiting me but it is funny how there are a few ironic connections.â€￾ With all of these connections, look for an unofficial visit to come soon, if it hasn’t already happened.
Among the others who are in on Ellis are Stanford and UCLA. It appears that Stanford will offer in the near future, but for now, Perry has a great amount of options with the latest scholarship.

Here is where I have a problem. Either Iowa doesn't recruit good enough kids or they shouldn't recruit good kids. Efficiently??? Not quite sure what you mean there. I mean, the fact is Fran is getting out there and getting positive momentum for Iowa.
How can recruiting a 5-star kid be a negative? If there are connections to Iowa no matter what they are, use them.
Kids are not dumb today, they check out all this technology, one to stroke their egos, but also to keep tabs on what everyone esle is doing.
Here is where I say this a positive with all the attention that is paid to recruiting today.
The more they are out there as a "finalist" the better, it makes them visible. Just take a look at the football program, it happened for a few years with Ferentz, where they just missed on some kids. I think everyone remembers the Army All-America game where they had, I believe 4 kids announce for Iowa and I do believe the football program has capitalized ever since.
The great thing about basketball is this though, one recruiting class can change the face of the program in one year.
Don't criticize Iowa for trying to get top recruits, I don't get it.

STFU! I'm not trying to start a ******* match but I'm hoping that you will come back on here and retract your statement or at the very least rethink your position. Fran is busting his hump trying to improve the Iowa roster. Not a single top 150 kid is going to want to even think about coming to play for him if he is willing to accept mid-pack status. Great ballers want to play with other great ballers.

Just being mentioned is worth the airfare and the afternoon spent talking to this kid.

I think you guys have somewhat of a chance with this kid (no sarcasm either).

As for some of your fans who think resources could be better used elsewhere? That's some *** backward, crapstain logic, IMO, but keep thinking that way. Good thing your new coach doesn't have that weakass mentality.

Last edited:
Here is where I have a problem. Either Iowa doesn't recruit good enough kids or they shouldn't recruit good kids. Efficiently??? Not quite sure what you mean there. I mean, the fact is Fran is getting out there and getting positive momentum for Iowa.
The more they are out there as a "finalist" the better, it makes them visible. Just take a look at the football program, it happened for a few years with Ferentz, where they just missed on some kids. I think everyone remembers the Army All-America game where they had, I believe 4 kids announce for Iowa and I do believe the football program has capitalized ever since.
The great thing about basketball is this though, one recruiting class can change the face of the program in one year.
Don't criticize Iowa for trying to get top recruits, I don't get it.

First: The football program got to the point of the 2005 class because they had finished in the top 8 three years running from recruiting more lightly recruited players who they were able to develop. That was the positive momentum.

Now I am not sure exactly what this positive momentum for the basketball team is? The early signing period is quickly approaching and Iowa does not have one verbal. People are speculating about guys they think are Iowa's to lose, but nobody has pulled the trigger. You do realize that Iowa is the only school in the Big Ten without a verbal from a 2011 recruit, right?

Now we see a story about FM recruiting some 2012 kid that has offers from all over the place and is awaiting more, and that is momentum? Really? Is it momentum for Witchita State because they have an offer out to this kid?

I am sorry, but it seems like the same kind of longshot like the kid from North Carolina or the one from California. Just seems like he might have a better shot going for kids from in-state, JUCO's, Euro's, and maybe some guys who fell through some cracks for other reasons. Find a Gary Trent, or Stephen Curry, or Reggie Evans, or Luke Recker (after the car crash.)

Just seems like if you get a couple of these types and it will open the door to some of the heavily recruited 5 stars in the future.

But like I said in my first post, "Maybe Fran knows something." I was serious about that because it doesn't seem at all immediately likely the kid would become a Hawk.

Last edited:
First: The football program got to the point of the 2005 class because they had finished in the top 8 three years running from recruiting more lightly recruited players who they were able to develop. That was the positive momentum.

Now I am not sure exactly what this positive momentum for the basketball team is? The early signing period is quickly approaching and Iowa does not have one verbal. People are speculating about guys they think are Iowa's to lose, but nobody has pulled the trigger. You do realize that Iowa is the only school in the Big Ten without a verbal from a 2011 recruit, right?

Now we see a story about FM recruiting some 2012 kid that has offers from all over the place and is awaiting more, and that is momentum? Really? Is it momentum for Witchita State because they have an offer out to this kid?

I am sorry, but it seems like the same kind of longshot like the kid from North Carolina or the one from California. Just seems like he might have a better shot going for kids from in-state, JUCO's, Euro's, and maybe some guys who fell through some cracks for other reasons. Find a Gary Trent, or Stephen Curry, or Reggie Evans, or Luke Recker (after the car crash.)

Just seems like if you get a couple of these types and it will open the door to some of the heavily recruited 5 stars in the future.

But like I said in my first post, "Maybe Fran knows something." I was serious about that because it doesn't seem at all immediately likely the kid would become a Hawk.

I don't see how those recruiting tracks are mutually exclusive. Recruiting the top kids in Iowa might bring in a top recruit from another state. One success might spur another. I think your outlook is too pessimistic, probably beaten down by the recent past coaches.

I am learning to practice patience with the program. Lick came in as COY and we see where that went, so just because people like Fran so far does not mean it will show in Wins or filling up CHA.

Fran has put together what looks to be a great staff. Perception of Iowa is what people have seen on the court and in the stands the last 3 years.

It may very well be that the class fills up slow and more in the spring, even with JUCO or transfers. Recruits will be watching our progress on the court like everybody else. We may have to play ourselves back into the picture. However, if a couple of top kids commit early, it may well be enough to get it all started. I also think Fran wants kids that fit his program and represent the school well.

I understand where everyone is coming from but I just don't see a shot here and I just think FM's time and limited recruiting visits are better spent on more viable recruits.

But again, as I have said twice now, maybe he knows something that is not immediately obvious.

This all being said, it could be that FM has seen the writing on the wall and has decided to put all his cards in the 2012 class. If he does feel he has a legit shot at Paige and the rest of the Iowa kids, then he might think he has a better shot at some other top kids in the region. It does make a little sense because top players like to come with top players. The practice facility will be up and running as well.

Now, if he goes all in in 2012 without having signed a decent 2011 class, he could double-up or be out of the game.

I think it's more about Fran trying to show evidence of change in the Iowa program, to catch other higher regarded recruits attention. Showing Iowa is looking for the best players nation.

I think this has positives not only in recruiting better for top recruits, but any lower rated players should feel more unique knowing the coach that is recruiting them is truly looking for the best.

And it's not fair to compare football recruiting with basketball recruiting, its a different game.

You'd be the same guy complaining when he DOESN'T go after guys like this. You don't get them, if you never recruit them.

Latest posts