Fran Talks Rebuilding with ESPN

Link worked and it's an excellent article. I'm looking forward to basketball, "almost", as much as football.

Link worked and it's an excellent article. I'm looking forward to basketball, "almost", as much as football.

Maybe it was because Lick completely ruined any expectations that I had towards a head coach, but Fran seems to kill it anytime he speaks with the media. I just feel like he is the type of guy who gets "it" and I think he is going to lead this program to big things eventually. It is awesome having a representative for the university who isn't ashamed to speak his mind and have a little swagger behind what he says.

"This is different than rebuilding in the SoCon or the MAAC in that we're playing Ohio State and Michigan State twice a year, but the basic rules still apply"

THAT is a refreshing comment. Neither of our last two coaches got that...at least not right away. Alford caught on eventually. I'm not sure Lick ever did.

What was done in the mid-majors has its place and some of it will translate to the Big Ten. But you're going to have to tweak some things if you want to compete in the big leagues.

No doubt Drew. I love his confidence. He's realistic in knowing it won't be done overnight but he also sees the upside which is considerable.

Lick had never built a program, much less rebuild one, he didnt have a credible plan to do it. Fran has done it(as HC), has experience at major level universities as an asst and has a plan that has worked to base it all on, plus he has the presonality and energy to sell himself and the university, what an exhilerating thing for IOWA BB.

I haven't been keeping up on the Carver renovation at all, but are there any plans to move the student section? I know there are some complications and politics behind it, but the place really isn't that intimidating to play at now, nor has it been for awhile.

No doubt Drew. I love his confidence. He's realistic in knowing it won't be done overnight but he also sees the upside which is considerable.

I like McCaffery's swagger. About time somebody around Iowa basketball exuded some confidence.

Don't get me wrong, I love what I have seen from Fran so far... but, Drew, we had a very confident and guy with swagger named Steve Alford. Some people didn't like his arrogance/ego.

I'm ok with it, though.

Don't get me wrong, I love what I have seen from Fran so far... but, Drew, we had a very confident and guy with swagger named Steve Alford. Some people didn't like his arrogance/ego.

I'm ok with it, though.

I think that is more on the fanbase then Alford. Some people get their panties all worked up pretty easily. Alford had a little more blowhard/condescending attitude in him, but people need to accept a certain level of swagger from a head coach. Most truly successful people have an ego, and confidence also sells to recruits.

Agree.

Fran is going to bring winning basketball back to Iowa....I just feel it. If Fran can't get it done, then nobody can (unless they are a cheater).

I think that is more on the fanbase then Alford. Some people get their panties all worked up pretty easily. Alford had a little more blowhard/condescending attitude in him, but people need to accept a certain level of swagger from a head coach. Most truly successful people have an ego, and confidence also sells to recruits.

I have no problem with swagger, confidence...even a little cockiness. As a head coach you HAVE TO believe in your ability to get the job done. You HAVE TO believe that you and your team have the ability, the know-how and the toughness to beat anyone, anywhere, anytime. I have no problem with swagger.

But as the head man you had also better buy into the notion that "the buck stops here". I did not dislike Steve Alford, but I always felt he was pretty quick to pass blame. Cockiness is fine...as long as you're also willing to shoulder some of the responsibility when things don't go well.

For the record, I was always on board with Alford's intensity. There were other issues that I had with him and they didn't start bugging me until the last couple seasons.

There's a difference between confidence and arrogance. Time will tell with McCaffery, but I like what I see and hear so far.

Agree.

Fran is going to bring winning basketball back to Iowa....I just feel it. If Fran can't get it done, then nobody can (unless they are a cheater).
What if they have NBA GMs on speed dial??? Sorry, had to say it.

I'm ok with it, though.

There's a difference between confidence and arrogance...a big difference. Confidence looks you straight in the eye and is steady, arrogance looks down at you and has a bit of a condescending tone.

Once need only observe McCaffrey and Alford to see the difference.

I thinnk there are some differences and smilarities in the last three coaches:

McCaffery=Ego+Swagger

Lickliter=Ego+Subborness

Alford=Ego+Arrogrance

I will take McCaffery's style over the other two any day.

What if they have NBA GMs on speed dial??? Sorry, had to say it.

Ha ha.

Having NBA GM's on your speed dial doesn't mean squat in coaching a college BB game! I can see it now:

Coach (after punching up an NBA GM on his speed dial): "Hey, my team is down 5 with a minute to go. They keep breaking our press. What should I do?"

GM: "Sorry kid, you're on your own."

Latest posts