Fran stands pat..."We're Good".

Boy he is really hitching his buggy wagon to this bunch, isn't he? He is doubling down on a 4-14 team that played too many players last year and is going to have an even bigger problem dividing minutes next year unless he forces a redshirt or two.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, look at happened last year at this time one state over. Miles cleaned house. And signed impact transfers. OSU took it a step further. A legend stepped down in June and virtually an entire recruiting class was cleaned out. But we go ahead and extend our guy. And will extend him again the moment he stumbles across a seven seed in the NCAA's. Because that's how Gary Barta operates.

All we can do at this point is hope that all returning players improve a notch or two, especially on the defensive end and hope that the coach punishes lack of effort. Not in isolated cases like the Indiana game but on a regular basis. I'm confident that what we have coming in plus Connor is better than what we lost. We are approaching the day of reckoning with Tyler Cook. And so much rides on his decision.

Maybe Fran's going the developmental plan going? 4 wins in one season, then 8 wins, then 12 wins. Rinse and repeat. And I'll bet that Gutless Gary is fine with that.

I like the team Iowa has returning. Even if Iowa could of found a talented recruit for next year, it wouldn't of necessarily made the team better. I don't think recruiting over guys is very good for the overall team moral.

When you're talking about a team like Iowa or ISU last year, people's feelings shouldn't matter. I expect at least 1 or 2 starters from ISU's team last year to be pushed to the bench next season and I consider it a good thing.

If cook returns Iowa should be around the bubble next year, IMO. Get your flights to Dayton booked early!

If cook returns Iowa should be around the bubble next year, IMO. Get your flights to Dayton booked early!
Maybe they could face Texas in Dayton.

And arguably the most overrated coach in the country.

Did Texas get confused and think they were getting Chaka Khan who still looks good today and can still sing?

EDIT: If Shaka Smart isn't the most overrated coach in the country we know who is. Think palm trees, hair gel, plane banners, and first round tourney exits.

Last edited:
If Cook doesn't return, it will be a pretty good indication that something isn't good in the locker room. He's nowhere close to NBA ready. If he believes playing D-league or European ball will help him develop more than another year under Fran...

He'll be back.

My dream for the opening B10 game next year is that Fran's team throws off the gloves prior to the opening tip and opens a can of whoopass ala hockey teams on whomever we are playing. Sure...it may mean automatic disqualification...but it would send a message. We ain't taking shit from anyone...and if you want to score in the paint...it will be at the free throw line.

Or we can lose 98 - 90 in a highly entertaining back and forth game where we fail to get stops in crunch time and lose. You know...same old script.
I wanted to let your post sink in for a few days before I commented on it, because I loved the fast paced 98-90 games that Tom Davis frequently coached. But he won his share because when the rubber met the road he would get just enough key defensive stops (perfect example, the 1992 NCAA round one game and subsequent 98-92 win over Tom Penders and Texas)

As entertaining as scoring 90 can be it doesn't matter if, like you said, you give up 98. About a month or so ago I mentioned our local high school legend Evan Richard. Evan should have played at Wisconsin or Iowa or maybe Minnesota. He played with Josh Gasser on one of Wisconsin's top AAU teams. But Bo Ryan saw the lack of defensive commitment and passed. Evan, who ended up with back troubles anyway, had a very pedestrian career at UW Milwaukee after never having advanced past sectional semifinal in high school (his older brother, who had less than half the talent, did play defense and made it to state his senior year). A small school Division One athlete should be able to do what Sam Okey once did-carry an entire team and community on his or her back and go to state without even breaking a sweat . Like Nebraska's Hannah Whitish did in high school.

There is just no substitute for hard nosed defense. I think the biggest reason for this is that if you are totally committed to intense defense it is very difficult for the upcoming opponent to simulate it in practice. Then when they face your live pressure for real it's deer meet headlights. I've seen a local high school girls team win six state championships since 2005. And perhaps three of them (players) even played as high as division three in college. But they sure as hell played defense.

So let's see how much our guys commit to it when they return next year. I'll settle for more 68-60 games if it means getting a few more in the win column. I've had it with the masochistic act.

Last edited:
I wanted to let your post sink in for a few days before I commented on it, because I loved the fast paced 98-90 games that Tom Davis frequently coached. But he won his share because when the rubber met the road he would get just enough key defensive stops (perfect example, the 1992 NCAA round one game and subsequent 98-92 win over Tom Penders and Texas)

As entertaining as scoring 90 can be it doesn't matter if, like you said, you give up 98. About a month or so ago I mentioned our local high school legend Evan Richard. Evan should have played at Wisconsin or Iowa or maybe Minnesota. He played with Josh Gasser on one of Wisconsin's top AAU teams. But Bo Ryan saw the lack of defensive commitment and passed. Evan, who ended up with back troubles anyway, had a very pedestrian career at UW Milwaukee after never having advanced past sectional semifinal in high school (his older brother, who had less than half the talent, did play defense and made it to state his senior year). A small school Division One athlete should be able to do what Sam Okey once did-carry an entire team and community on his or her back and go to state without even breaking a sweat . Like Nebraska's Hannah Whitish did in high school.

There is just no substitute for hard nosed defense. I think the biggest reason for this is that if you are totally committed to intense defense it is very difficult for the upcoming opponent to simulate it in practice. Then when they face your live pressure for real it's deer meet headlights. I've seen a local high school girls team win six state championships since 2005. And perhaps three of them even played as high as division three in college. But they sure as hell played defense.

So let's see how much our guys commit to it when they return next year. I'll settle for more 68-60 games if it means getting a few more in the win column. I've had it with the machocist act.

There is no doubt in my mind, Fran can coach on the offensive end. If he wants to keep his job...his teams better start playing on the other end. This team is deep again...there is no reason guys can't play aggressive and use some fouls if necessary. At the end of the day for me...after watching this team last year...it's about commitment and desire to compete on that end of the floor...and it's a night in and night out battle...not selective games. I hope our guards are in the weight room, because we are soft...I hope Garza and Nunge are in the weight room, because they are soft compared to top tier teams. We need Cook to come back...that would be huge for this team. I'm in the camp that he was much improved and if he makes the same strides...he's going to be a handful...and a go to scorer when we need it. He will also get looks for others because he will draw attention. He's the key to a successful season.

Is Fran supposed to do an interview and say that current players aren't good? Would that help? Fran and his staff know more about basketball than most. They see the problems too. Coaching can improve and so can the players.

People act like recruiting is such an easy thing to do. As if Fran can't locate talent. He doesn't know what it looks like. If you want to say he can't close on the recruits he needs then I can accept that argument. Just tired of hearing people act like he has no clue.

I'm along the same thinking as most that next year needs to be good. NCAA is realistic expectation in regards to job performance. DJ is an important recruit and Fran seems to be all in on him. Reminds me of when he was recruiting Gesell and Woodbury. Hopefully the same outcome.

Ok, I'm of the mind that when you give up 80 every game...you either have to say my players aren't getting it done, or our scheme sucks. It's one or the other. Which is it? In my opinion, Fran is dancing a bit like Kirk Ferentz was in 2013 and 2014 and unwilling to take a step back and say...we need to examine everything we are doing and make sure we have it right. Guess what...then 2015 happens. Coincidence...I think not. Does Fran sound like a guys that is contrite or making those assessments to you. The "body of work" comments just sound hollow to me. You finished last in the B10 and your defensive numbers were, well, downright offensive...yet you stand on "body of work". Ok...well your current body of work isn't pretty.

Ok, I'm of the mind that when you give up 80 every game...you either have to say my players aren't getting it done, or our scheme sucks. It's one or the other. Which is it? In my opinion, Fran is dancing a bit like Kirk Ferentz was in 2013 and 2014 and unwilling to take a step back and say...we need to examine everything we are doing and make sure we have it right. Guess what...then 2015 happens. Coincidence...I think not. Does Fran sound like a guys that is contrite or making those assessments to you. The "body of work" comments just sound hollow to me. You finished last in the B10 and your defensive numbers were, well, downright offensive...yet you stand on "body of work". Ok...well your current body of work isn't pretty.
Or there is a third option that reared its ugly head way too many times last year-subpar effort. Too many examples to mention. Some of which would have been inexcusable at the high school level.

Win, you were the poster who I think brought up that we had plenty of bodies to rotate inside and this plenty of fouls to give. And that it wouldn't have hurt to administer a hard one once in a while.

Again, poor effort from scholarship athletes is inexcusable. They run your ass out the door for that in the real world.

I can't fault the effort of the players, but they seem to play one-on-one to much. They need to play more in the team concept which is the responsibility of the coaches. When the team concept is stressed, I would think the defense would improve. Its nice we have big guys that want to take twenty footers, but unless they are fairly consistent, I'd rather they focus on defense, rebounding, and scoring in the paint. It seems there is to much going on during the game where the individual player needs to be focused on his job. Maybe experience will settle the issue.

I can't fault the effort of the players, but they seem to play one-on-one to much. They need to play more in the team concept which is the responsibility of the coaches. When the team concept is stressed, I would think the defense would improve. Its nice we have big guys that want to take twenty footers, but unless they are fairly consistent, I'd rather they focus on defense, rebounding, and scoring in the paint. It seems there is to much going on during the game where the individual player needs to be focused on his job. Maybe experience will settle the issue.
Most seasons I'm proud of our effort. Last year was not one of them. I don't know if the losing wore them down or what. I saw too many poor close out attempts and too many open court unmolested dunks and layups.

I'm in my fifties, overweight with iffy knees, and I can still break 30 minutes in a 5k. There's no reason world class athletes forty percent my age can't bust it up and down a court when called upon. Especially when the price is an uncontested poster dunk.

Most seasons I'm proud of our effort. Last year was not one of them. I don't know if the losing wore them down or what. I saw too many poor close out attempts and too many open court unmolested dunks and layups.

I'm in my fifties, overweight with iffy knees, and I can still break 30 minutes in a 5k. There's no reason world class athletes forty percent my age can't bust it up and down a court when called upon. Especially when the price is an uncontested poster dunk.

I think the poor effort was from arrogance early on, then due to knowing their season was over later in the year. I think that same exact team could cut their Kenpom defensive stats in half just by giving max effort.

I'm far more concerned that Fran is standing pat with his staff than I am not getting grad transfer. I think he needed to mix things up a bit, maybe find an assistant who knows anything about defense.

I'm far more concerned that Fran is standing pat with his staff than I am not getting grad transfer. I think he needed to mix things up a bit, maybe find an assistant who knows anything about defense.
I'm with you. I mentioned that as soon as the season was over. These assistants not only have been here for the same duration as Fran, they are getting a little long in the tooth. A change in the staff would have been a perfectly logical and reasonable move. Perhaps a younger assistant just starting to climb the ladder. Not necessarily Oliver, Horner or Gatens but someone cut from the same cloth. Someone who will question a "deer in the headlights" look from the other staff members. Someone who won't tolerate lazy defense.