Fran secretly acquires 4star player.

I've reads these boards for quite some time, but never created an account until recently. I just want to say I am very excited about yesterday's win over Wisconsin, and the direction the program is heading. We have a lot of promising young talent on the squad already, and have several more key pieces arriving next season. I read a stat that Wisconsin is something like 59-1 under Bo Ryan against unranked teams at home. Congrats to the Hawks on making that a 2! We will likely still have a couple of games where people get frustrated by the team's performance, but people just need to remember that this program was in complete disarray when Fran arrived, and it takes time to restore the program to where we want it. There are clear signs that the program is improving, and I'm proud to say I'm a Hawkeye basketball fan (as well as a fan of all Hawkeye sports). Go Hawks!

Well said!

Welcome to the boards.

The thing about White is that he did miss significant AAU times when he broke his wrist one year. He also was sick and missed some AAU time as well. I don't get how scouting services discredit their high school play, he didn't play against guys in HS that weren't good. In the area he played in there are a ton of D1 prospects emerging every year. I know being on AAU teams and playing with and against top players is meaningful, but it is also not nearly as structured unless it is one of the truly top AAU teams.
Having worked with some folks in the Cleveland area, all they would say was: "You will love this kid." Yeah, he is quickly becoming my favorite all-time Hawkeye.

Someone made the comparison to Chris Street, they are similar in how they play, but excel at different things, love that comparison. High energy, fearless and wants to win.

Don't forget about Clemmons. Here is a quote from Mlive of Michigan HS athletics.

"He has gone from a tough, athletic all around guard to a senior who can consistantly lead the scoring column for the states best team, against the states stiffest competition, in addition to his prior duties. Clemmons had 25 points in a win at Kalamazoo Central and 19 in a nuetral court win against Romulus. He can create his own shot, hit from outside (3 three pointers against Romulus) and is his best as a scorer going to the hole with his athleticism, toughness and finishing ability."

Sexton HS is the number one ranked team in Michigan and Anthony plays with Denzel Valentine, the coaches son, who is committed to Michigan State.

Good stuff!

What I love about White is that he has that "killer instinct". He loves to compete.

Did you see the smile on his face after the late 3? It was like, Wisconsin, I just stuck the knife in and you are dead!!!! Priceless!!!

We need more players like Basabe, Cartwright and White. They are tough kids.

White and Meyer have to players or they would not be playing on elite AAU teams in states with 10x the talent Iowa has. To an extent the same can be said about Ingram and Clemmons high school teams. I am sure almost every game they are matched up with other kids going D1.

He reminds me of Kevin Boyle. He runs the court, rebounds, he can shoot and is just a general pest to the other team.

I love the sound of Clemmons, and think he could have as much impact next year as anyone in that class. I think Ingram will add considerable toughness to the backcourt as well.

One of the most important aspects will be the competition they bring to practice. Marble and Oglesby won't be able to take anything for granted, and Gessell won't have anything handed to him either.

You are only as good as your guards in college basketball, and with an exception here and there, Iowa has had a pretty crappy (and soft) backcourt most years since Dean Oliver left.

Clemmons and Ingram sound exactly like the tough, gritty guards Iowa has lacked for years.

Everyone keeps comparing AW to Jess settles, he reminds me more of a jr Koch. Can dribble, comfortable on the perimeter, less athletic looking... Not that settles couldn't dribble or shoot long range, he was more of a post player and more athletic/stronger

White is way more athletic and competitive than JR Koch!

Agree, Koch was much slower and less explosive than White.

I don't think there is a good former Hawkeye to compare White to.

Hes longer, more athletic and much more offensively skilled than Bowen as a frosh, but not as quick or good at defense and rebounding.

Hes not anywhere near as physical as Chris Street or Jess Settles. I see very few similarities to them.

On TV the other night, someone mentioned Keith VanHorn, thats a decent comparison as far as their games go. A lanky inside out 3/4 combo with pretty good athleticism shooting ability and a high bball IQ.

definitely has that feel to him, doesn't he. seems like the kind of scrapper we need down low. McCabe kind of fills that role, but he's just not big enough.
I like the Ryan Bowen comparison, but I think AW is way more athletic, thus he will bring more than Bowen did. But he's a scrapper like Ryan was.
AW is a scrapper on D but needs to get quicker and stronger. He's a bit of a liability unlike Bowen who was a defensive stopper

What I love about White is that he has that "killer instinct". He loves to compete.

Did you see the smile on his face after the late 3? It was like, Wisconsin, I just stuck the knife in and you are dead!!!! Priceless!!!

We need more players like Basabe, Cartwright and White. They are tough kids.

When I was watching the replay it even looks like he might be smiling because he called the shot. When Cartwright was at the top of the key setting up the O, he was clearly saying something to the players on the bench before Bryce passed it out and he drained it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zionn45qRr0"]White Called It[/ame]

Last edited:
Watching the replay with my son, he mentioned that he thought Aaron deliberately threw the ball off the backboard, caught it and then made the basket. This happened during his second half run. I didn't notice it, but Andrew swears it happened.

One thing I really like about White is his court awareness. He seems to be around the ball whenever he is playing. He goes to the ball and makes things happen.

He is one of the most aggressive offensive players on the team, along with Devyn and Bryce. He takes the ball to the hole immediately every time he can without hesitation.
His game is getting more polished every time he plays. His three is becoming dependable.

He should make the Big Ten Freshman team, making it five in a row for the Hawks, Gatens, May, Paine, Basabe, White......

He was definitely a steal and another one of Fran's diamonds in the rough, an overused term, but absolutely true about Fran.....

One could determine from his YouTube clip that he would be a very good player.
Certainly looks the same at Iowa as he does at the 1:05 mark on his rare YouTube high school video.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7zHEGDVGJE

We are fortunate to have Aaron. He is a special player with infectious enthusiasm. He is an essential piece of the puzzle that Fran is assembling. Basabe, Marble, McCabe, White, Oglesby and Gabe are a very nice start to rebuilding the team. Next year's class will really get things going, taking the Hawks to another level, back to where we belong. By the time Mel, Devyn and Zach are seniors we will be a force to be reckoned with. Just my opinion.....

:D

Last edited:
The next couple years are going to be allot of fun to watch. This season is just a precursor.

Fran and co. will have manged to make Iowa the antithesis of a Licklieter team in just three years. Athletic, tall and deep.

I have a feeling this is going to be one of the more special groups Iowa has had at least since the Davis era.

Jack, your son is very observant. I thought the same thing. Great play. He should have gotten an assist to himself.

How are some suggesting he is a better athlete than Ryan Bowen? Bowen was a fantastic athlete. He was quick and agile and although not a high sure act he was a nice leaper who was quick off the ground and had great timing.

White reminds me of Bowen quite a bit right now but I dare say he may not quite be thecathlete Ryan Bowen was. Its close though.

Latest posts