Fran Out for Sunday's Game

RobHowe

Administrator
UI Press Release

IOWA CITY, Iowa - University of Iowa head men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffery has entered health and safety protocols after testing positive for COVID on Friday. McCaffery will miss Sunday’s home game versus Minnesota.

Assistant Coach Billy Taylor, who has the scout for the Gophers, will serve as acting head coach for the Hawkeyes in McCaffery’s absence.

Iowa (14-7, 4-6) hosts Minnesota (11-8, 2-8) on Sunday at 3:31 p.m. (CT) on Mediacom Court at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City, Iowa.

Hope he recovers quickly.

Interesting choice to lead the team though. Dillard and Speraw have been with Fran much longer and have an equally dismal head coaching record as Billy T.

So, if Iowa vs Ohio St would have played last night, was it going to be announced that he would sit out of that game? Haven't heard about his positive test until now and apparently he tested pos last Friday, about a week.

Also, will be interesting to see if this is going thru the team members or who else will test positive. It is such a close knit group.

I've heard he's quarantining at home. He has symptoms. As of now, players and rest of coaches are OK. They don't need to test unless they have symptoms. They all are vaxed and boosted.

Billy Taylor is the one who scouted MN. It's the correct move.

Hope he recovers quickly.

Interesting choice to lead the team though. Dillard and Speraw have been with Fran much longer and have an equally dismal head coaching record as Billy T.
I think when Fran was suspended a couple of times - he gave it to the coach that had the scout. Pretty sure both Speraw and Dillard have been active HC for Iowa over the years.

about 80% of the country has Covid right now or has had it the last 3 weeks or so. Most people have no clue unless they get tested. I've been stabbed 3 times, I got it, never had a single symptom and would have never known had a friend that had it not reach out and tell me she got it. I actually drank heavily through most of it.... I got 2 weeks of WFH, wasn't much else to do.

I've heard he's quarantining at home. He has symptoms. As of now, players and rest of coaches are OK. They don't need to test unless they have symptoms. They all are vaxed and boosted.
I'm assuming Fran was vaxed and boosted as well? Covid worked its ways through the team over the summer I believe. This should give them even better protection at this point.

Latest posts