Fran McCaffery is a worker

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I have fielded a few phone calls over the last day and a half...talking hoops...

Fran McCaffery is busting it already. And people are impressed with how thoroughly he is going about things even though he is short handed. He is having to play catch up with Brust, but it sounds like there is some traction there. He is also interested in F John WIlkins who is a Juco from Burlington... he has been involved with ISU...I think even verballed...and was possibly to have visited Indiana. Hearing Iowa getting involved with him.

McCaffery is also beginning to work on the talented Iowa class of 2012.

Three different people that have followed Iowa hoops for a long time have told me nearly the exact same thing in the last 36 hours; that McCaffery may turn out to be the hardest working recruiter Iowa has had since Raveling.

Last edited:
I believe Jon is referring to Wilkins as well. This guy sounds like he would be a huge get. Everything I have read about him is that he is a great shooter with good handles and great athleticism. He just hasn't played for a couple of years. Also heard Ryan Bowen had worked out with him and thought he had NBA talent.

I would love John Wilkins!

Maybe somebody can confirm this but I believe he would have 3 years of eligibility if he came to Iowa

That is exactly the kind of recruit this guy finds. Still hoping the down low PG situation comes through. But that probably couldn't happen until Summer.

Basabe, Wilkins, and ? would make up a totally different look than the Hawks have seen in a long time. Makes the Fuller deal that much more frustrating. A front four of Fuller, Basabe, Cole, and Wilkins would really feel different from what we have seen the last decade.

Last edited:
Hardest working recruiter since Raveling...sounds like just what we need!!! Just wait until he has a full staff and they can all go at it. There is no doubt in my mind that he'll bring in a good staff and have the Hawkeyes moving up the standings in the near future

Also good to hear that there might be some traction on the Brust front.

Well we really are a fickle bunch, aren't we? Weren't we on the verge of calling for Coach's head a couple days ago? ;)

Why? Nothing that has transpired so far is Fran's fault. I am still very excited about the future.

Exactly. Thats why it makes it that much more annoying when people over react and act like the world is ending when a recruit asks out of his LOI

Why? Nothing that has transpired so far is Fran's fault. I am still very excited about the future.

I've never doubted McCaffery, not since his presser. I did have a lot of doubts about the fan base, though. Too many people losing their minds over guys making a smart decision (weighing their options in the wake of a coaching change).

33 John Wilkins FR 6'9" 215 Gary, IN

Father-in-Law went to every home SCC game this year...was raving about this cat months ago saying Iowa should go after him before others found out about him.

May be one of those diamonds...

33 John Wilkins FR 6'9" 215 Gary, IN

Father-in-Law went to every home SCC game this year...was raving about this cat months ago saying Iowa should go after him before others found out about him.

May be one of those diamonds...
Indeed he could, he would be in contention for instant playing time as well. Payne, Gatens, Cole, Basabe, Wilkins would be a nice starting 5.

Indeed he could, he would be in contention for instant playing time as well. Payne, Gatens, Cole, Basabe, Wilkins would be a nice starting 5.

I really hope they pull it off. It would be great to be able to have May, Cougill coming off the bench, not to mention Brommer, McCabe, and Marble. And don't give up on Brust yet. Larson is probably gone, but Brust is one I could see re-signing.

It says he is an outstanding shooter and has outstanding handles. If true, could he play the 3 if he came here and we went with a "big" lineup?

IF, and it's a big if, he comes here, could we see a lineup of Payne, Gatens, Wilkins, Basabe (if he comes) and Cole/Brommer/Cougill/Archie?

If Coach Fran can pull in Wilkins and Basabe to add with May and Marble (supposedly good athlete) and Archie (supposedly good athlete), then we'd have more athletes on our team than we've had in a long time. And some length to go along with it.

Trying not to get too excited in case it doesn't happen, but I definitely like looking at the possibilities.

Latest posts