Fran McCaffery Addresses Hawkeyes' Defensive Deficiencies

I watched the shot Cordell took from the Maryland player. If their coach has any balls, he will suspend the kid for at least one game. As I have watched the officials during Iowa's BT season games, I am absolutely appalled at how terrible they are. Yes. I am biased. However, I have seen a lot of basketball and I am not stupid.

I watched the shot Cordell took from the Maryland player. If their coach has any balls, he will suspend the kid for at least one game. As I have watched the officials during Iowa's BT season games, I am absolutely appalled at how terrible they are. Yes. I am biased. However, I have seen a lot of basketball and I am not stupid.
When I watch football I think the big ten officials are pretty good and the big 12 have the worst in the country . When I watch a big 12 basketball game I’m impressed with the officiating but when I watch a big 10 hoops game they are flat out terrible . The big 12 officials look like they could play the game when they were younger . I can’t say that about the big 10 . They look like former waterboys

At times I wonder who is more clueless, Fran or Kirk...and how much money they make and how long they can keep their jobs...in a clueless state...amazing

It is difficult to believe that none of the Hawks learned to play some D in high school. They all, with the exception of Baer do not seem to have a clue. The team D is pathetic. It should be somewhat automatic. You have to be able to depend on a teammate covering when one helps out. Three or more Hawkeyes do Not need to help defend one player.....

I know this will be ridiculed, but Uhl and Kriener know how to play D.....

Kriener suffers from lack of playing time. He needs to be in the game more than 2/3 minutes to develop experience and comfort about being in the game.....

Dom knows how to play D and would certainly help bringing the ball downcourt. Might as well use him when we are outmatched by quickness and speed on the perimeter. He would help defend the perimeter.....

Of course, the jury is out on him playing at all this season....,

:cool:

It is difficult to believe that none of the Hawks learned to play some D in high school. They all, with the exception of Baer do not seem to have a clue. The team D is pathetic. It should be somewhat automatic. You have to be able to depend on a teammate covering when one helps out. Three or more Hawkeyes do Not need to help defend one player.....

Kriener suffers from lack of playing time. He needs to be in the game more than 2/3 minutes to develop experience and comfort about being in the game.....

Dom knows how to play D and would certainly help bringing the ball downcourt. Might as well use him when we are outmatched by quickness and speed on the perimeter. He would help defend the perimeter.....

Zone requires a team work effort. Not hard to coach. Man D, a lot of schools don't do it. In HS most of the time teams should be man. The other team's quick PGs will destroy Iowa regardless of how good the others are.

I, for one, am just glad Fran recognizes that maybe our defense isn't up to par at this point. That's progress. I was kind of worried he didn't know that you play on both ends of the floor.
He has put a lot of the blame on a crappy offense previously. No. Seriously.

The staff has some great and/or draws up some great 1/2 court plays. After 3-4 consecutive empty possessions use a TO and call a play. Change lineup to run the play you want.

Do something to help your team stop the drought. They haven obviously demonstrated repeatedly again and again that they can’t do it or work through it on their own.

He has put a lot of the blame on a crappy offense previously. No. Seriously.

The staff has some great and/or draws up some great 1/2 court plays. After 3-4 consecutive empty possessions use a TO and call a play. Change lineup to run the play you want.

Do something to help your team stop the drought. They haven obviously demonstrated repeatedly again and again that they can’t do it or work through it on their own.

They don't even have to call timeouts to stop runs. Just quit running the ball up the court for a few possessions. Slow it down and run the offense.

"maybe"?
smh
I'm not so sure. He said "the last 10 minutes the defense was bad. The first 30 minutes the defense wasn't as bad". The score was 64-61 with 10+ mins to go. Giving up 64 pts in 30 mins is awful defense. Any way you want to look at it.

I'm not so sure. He said "the last 10 minutes the defense was bad. The first 30 minutes the defense wasn't as bad". The score was 64-61 with 10+ mins to go. Giving up 64 pts in 30 mins is awful defense. Any way you want to look at it.

It is awful defense. But like Fran said, it wasn't "as bad" as the final 10 minutes. That's pathetic, but technically, Fran was right.

Defense isn't much fun...there are no points to be made...it takes deliberate work, intelligence, fighting through screens, helping out, blocking out, teamwork, toughness, diligence, heart, pride, patience and practice.

How many of the above has this team demonstrated on a consistent basis...ZERO?

That's why the record is hideous and the team sucks...work on the above...things will change.

Who will lead them?

Iowa is soft...fun to play against a team like that...fire it up, again and again...over the course of the game, Iowa will capitulate and the coach will go psycho...

Painful to watch...fewer are...

I'm not into narrow focus.

Season long problem+former player testimony=not maybe

Kriener gets abused on the defensive end.

Latest posts