Fran in February/March

Problem is that we ALWAYS allow HC's to stay around just long enough to make the tournament....thus, they can't be fired for another 2-3 years....it's the "Iowa way".....get it? Snort.

The point is not who's a better coach. The point is that people saying he needs to be fired when he has a record like that, including the first few years inheriting a terrible team, sound asasine.
His record speaks for itself. Mediocre record is mediocre. 30-35 against BIG conf opponents. I'm glad you find that acceptable, Mrs McCaffrey but some of us don't.

-----First few years inheriting a terrible team. ????????? ISU has turned things around on the fly 5-6 times in the last 20 years!!!!!!!!!!!! You mean it takes us a decade???? This mess with Basketball and Football is COMPLETE Bullshit and I'm F'n sick of it!!!!

-----First few years inheriting a terrible team. ????????? ISU has turned things around on the fly 5-6 times in the last 20 years!!!!!!!!!!!! You mean it takes us a decade???? This mess with Basketball and Football is COMPLETE Bullshit and I'm F'n sick of it!!!!
Life sucks for you, doesn't it.

I mean ISU turning around their program 5-6 times in 20 years ... ? LLLLOL!

If that were happening at Iowa you wouldn't be holding that up as a positive example. You would have had your ALL CAPS button taken away because of monopolizing the market of CAPS.

I have news for All you snowflakes that can recruit 10 5-stars every season and take Iowa to the national championship every season (but hitting reset on a game or two that you lose so you can finish UNDEFEATED on your game console --

it's not real!

Life sucks for you, doesn't it.

I mean ISU turning around their program 5-6 times in 20 years ... ? LLLLOL!

I have news for All you snowflakes that can recruit 10 5-stars every season and take Iowa to the national championship every season (but hitting reset on a game or two that you lose so you can finish UNDEFEATED on your game console --

it's not real!

Come out from your parents basement, do a little raking in the yard to get a blister or two, get some sun, and maybe a girlfriend.
You're being a tad too dramatic.

The point is not who's a better coach. The point is that people saying he needs to be fired when he has a record like that, including the first few years inheriting a terrible team, sound asasine.

We play like 8 more games a year than we did then, that's why the lute comparison just based on total wins makes no sense.

------Life sucks for you, doesn't it.

Nope...it's great. Great wife. nice job, mild winter climate, my Cowboys are back...etc. What sucks is Iowa athletics....got it?

Start it at 2:42.00 How long has it been since we've had this kind of excitement??? 2015 was smoke, mirrors, and a fog machine. Ferments VS Hayden isn't even close....I don't care about comparing records. Just use the F'n eye test, and it ain't even close!!!

I wonder what Tom Davis might have been able to do on the recruiting front if he had the facilities that are at Carver now.

I think just about every team in the BIG has improved their facilities over the last 25 ears. Were Iowa's any worse than let's say Wisconsin's when Davis was coaching?

Problem is that we ALWAYS allow HC's to stay around just long enough to make the tournament....thus, they can't be fired for another 2-3 years....it's the "Iowa way".....get it? Snort.
Yeah, totally. Just like the year Tom Davis took Iowa to the sweet 16, and DIDN'T fire him? #alternatefacts

I think just about every team in the BIG has improved their facilities over the last 25 ears. Were Iowa's any worse than let's say Wisconsin's when Davis was coaching?
It feels like if the Athletic department would change some things up for the fans, ie seating game time atmosphere, there would be a much better home court. In football, it's amazing that Ferentz has done what he did given the facilities gap prior to the new ones.

I don't think anyone believes that Fran is a better coach than Lute. There is not only the difference in number of games a year, but also the competition. The same can be said in football, Ferentz is probably on par or maybe even better than Fry, given that there were two teams with a pulse in the B1G in the 70's and 80's just think about how much better all the other teams are that Iowa plays. Wisconsin was terribad before Alveraez, Isu was crap before McCarney and NW's fans would cheer about how even though they were getting pummeled they had a better education. It just happens that BB was better in the 80's and FB was worse in the 80's.

That being said, Fran came in while Iowa was, at least historically, the worst in the programs history. If you can't concede a few of the years based on that, then I don't know what to say. Furthermore, Fran can't make the shots for the players. There have been a few wide open shots in the late game that didn't fall. If the game is close usually players make plays, the coaches can only prepare them for it (maybe you think Fran isn't doing this?).

I'm curious... how many regular season games did Lute's teams play during his tenure compared to how many regulare season games Fran's teams have played. Not arguing, just curious....

Iowa's 1980 team played 27 regular season games (9 non conf).

Iowa's 2016 team played 30 regular season games. (12 non conf) So there's 3 additional "regular season" games in a year (and at least one additional game in the Big Ten tourney)

4 more games a year, minimum for Fran's teams...3 of which are potential cupca...er, non conference.

Last edited:
Still garbage. Hard to have too much faith in the future of the program when you know you'll lose every meaningful game at the end of the season in the same fashion.
Only answer i have is this: TOUGHEST TEAM TO DATE.INEXPERIENCE IS NOT!! A COLLAPSE NO? Only a opinion. Beat indiana and big surf on WAY.IOWA SURFER.KENNY GOT ASSISTANCE.T-SHIRTS HELP.STRONG HAWK

We need a better level of Hawk(fan)Haters to put pressure on Barta to make these programs elite like ISU basketball does repeatedly for 20 years:

Hatin' on the HC ....
Hatin' on players ....

This is hatin' at the most mediocre of levels and you should all be ashamed for such poor posting execution and efforts.

Haters need to step up their hatin' to elite level to help Iowa establish elite programs!!

More CAPS!
More !!!!!!!
More cussing you &(/?&
More personal attacks on players and coaches

You Hawk(fan)HATER! YOU need to pick IT UP!!!!

When looking at results, it's hard to compare Fran to Miller and Olson. Both had big messes to clean up. Both brought Iowa to national recognition, something Fran just hasn't done. Fran hasn't really equaled Davis and one could arguable compare Fran to Alford. Alford at least had one nationally recognized team and made some noise in the Big Tourney. Miller had 2 1sts and 1 3rd place finishes. He had a team that was national championship caliber. Olsen had to overcome some adversity, with injuries to Lester, Greg Boyle, and Kenny Arnold. Wasn't GREG Boyle a Parade All American?

Fran in my opinion was a point guard away from a nationally recognized team last year.

My God! Comparing what happened at Iowa St to Iowa in the last 20 years? Tim Floyd - his teams were trending downward and went to a failed coaching stint with the bulls. Larry Eustache - Please! He violated the conduct clause in his contract and was fired - and his teams were trending downward. Wayne Morgan - teams trended down even though he recruited highly ranked classes. Greg McDermott - mediocre at best. Fred Hoiberg - his teams got better, but also the off-court incidents increased. He left to coach the Bulls (and probably won't stay there much longer). Steve Prohm - the jury is still out.

Each one of those guys took the previous coach's recruits and did well but couldn't do so well with their own recruits (except Hoiberg). And you want that?

Iowa's 1980 team played 27 regular season games (9 non conf).

Iowa's 2016 team played 30 regular season games. (12 non conf) So there's 3 additional "regular season" games in a year (and at least one additional game in the Big Ten tourney)

4 more games a year, minimum for Fran's teams...3 of which are potential cupca...er, non conference.

In 1980, we actually played 8 non-conference games, 26 regular season. You are counting the loss in the third place game of the Final Four in your total of 9. I'd say most of the added non conference games now are against good competition in extra tournaments, not additional cupcakes. The cupcake total stayed the same for the most part given the season (never know if a UNI or Drake is a cupcake or not until that season plays out for instance). Incidentally, that final four team didn't even finish in the top 20 that year (wasn't a top 25 yet), which is quite a surprise to me looking it up.

A deep run in the tournament is nice and all, but I don't think that's how you judge a coach. What happens in a single elimination tournament is too random.

Latest posts