Fran in February/March

At this point, it really is a poor comparison. Lute won a B1G regular season championship and got Iowa to the Final 4 and went on to far greater success at Arizona.

I'm with you as far as sticking with Fran but he is a long, long way from deserving to be mentioned in the same breath as Lute.

It's not meant to be a comparison of two coaches. It's meant to show that Fran is in rather elite company after inheriting a mess.

Should I put "I don't think Fran should be fired today" in my signature so we can dispose of this strawman? I think you're allowed to think that Iowa doesn't need to make a coaching change this year and simultaneously wonder why the team doesn't win big games during the time of the season when they actually count?

-----It was the third loss in a row for the Hawkeyes, and the hardest to comprehend.

Not really hard to comprehend at all....he is not D1 material as a HC. And he should lose his job at years end...but won't. It's the "Iowa way" don't you know. Snort.

Last edited:
ehhh, I don't like that comparison. LO had Iowa one Lester injury away from possibly winning a national title. I am all for sticking with FM, but I wouldn't make that the reason why.
Exactly Jon is a homer as are most of us on here but many many many Fran wins are against UNO (oops we lost that one) and Savannah States of the college bball world and D1 teams have skyrocketed in the past decade so the number of cupcakes you can play makes it an unfair comparison versus Lute Olsen...and Fran hasn't come anywhere close to Lute's post season success.

I think if you look at what Altman has done at Oregon, and yes folks Oregon has a significantly less pedigree as a basketball power than Iowa, it would be hard to argue that Fran should get a LONG rope in the next year or 2. I think if he makes the tourney next year he's safe for possibly a looooooong time going forward.

Losing to Illinois is terrible. I've been critical of Fran on many occasions. He needs to cut down the rotation and cut Jok's minutes. I'm just trying to educate the Fire Fran crowd.
I do agree to fire a guy when he's started 3 or 4 freshman every game is a little hair trigger but the next 2 seasons he needs to show really good progress otherwise why are we wasting more time. It's like being engaged for 15 years and never getting married.

The reality is we will be better. However the one thing that is about to happen could be the worse 6 years of Iowa basketball. It is called Daddy ball.

This team won't make the NIT. Fran doesn't adjust his rotations or game plans and just keeps trying to shove a square peg in a round hole. Groce will likely get fired and we lost to his crap team twice.

The reality is we will be better. However the one thing that is about to happen could be the worse 6 years of Iowa basketball. It is called Daddy ball.
That's such a stupid statement, thought you were braymaker at first.

No one knows if Conner is even going to play BB at Iowa as he could actually get paid playing Baseball. and as for PMac there is a chance that he's even better. Would you really want them, who are both ranked as 4 star players, to sit on the bench?

Been wondering about that aspect which will soon tie into the general stagnation of the program. We have the whole aspect of Connor seemingly having a brighter future in baseball than in basketball but wanting to play for Dad at the same time. He seems like a very bright kid who will figure it out but how Fran moves this program forward with that going on at the same time seems an open question. It will get ugly if we don't seem to progress with Baer and this freshman class and then the boys getting caught up in the cross fire.

I'm curious... how many regular season games did Lute's teams play during his tenure compared to how many regulare season games Fran's teams have played. Not arguing, just curious....

I kind of was wondering that too. I didn't look to hard but it appears they played about 30 games like now.

Pops Harrison won 70% of his games while at Iowa.
Bucky O'Connor won 65.9% of his games while at Iowa.
Tom Davis won 65.8% of his games while at Iowa.
Ralph Miller won 65.1% of his games while at Iowa.
Lute won 63.9% of his games while at Iowa.
Steve Alford won 58.9% of his games while at Iowa.
George Raveling won 58.7% of his games while at Iowa.
Fran has won 57.1% of his games while at Iowa.
Sharm Scheuerman 51.1% of his games while at Iowa.
Dick Schultz won 42.7% of his games while at Iowa.
Todd Lickliter won 39.6% of his games while at Iowa, but won 68.2% of his games while at Butler.

Last edited:
I wonder what Tom Davis might have been able to do on the recruiting front if he had the facilities that are at Carver now.

Oh, so I guess Fran is better then?
Well I'm glad we got to the bottom of that.

Jon tweeted it at 1:48 p.m., before halftime even, while Iowa was ahead. Some here seem to be acting as if Jon was running to Fran's defense. Maybe he just posted it for informational purposes.

But don't let that get in the way of your victimhood need.

You guys are wild.
Tthey're playing more games now. Not sure of the number, but my guess is it's 3-4 more a year. After 7 years, that's 21-28 more games. That's why it's difficult to look at raw numbers. Better to compare winning percentages.

Tthey're playing more games now. Not sure of the number, but my guess is it's 3-4 more a year. After 7 years, that's 21-28 more games. That's why it's difficult to look at raw numbers. Better to compare winning percentages.
Yep, Fran's almost a full 7% lower than Lute on winning percentage at Iowa.

Latest posts