Fran in February/March

phdsvp

Still garbage. Hard to have too much faith in the future of the program when you know you'll lose every meaningful game at the end of the season in the same fashion.

The 2014-2015 team went 8-2 down the stretch in the B1G in February/March.

Fran has had two teams fall apart at the end of the year and four teams playing their best ball at the end of the year. This year they are playing the exact same all year. Some good games and some bad games. Actually they improved from the beginning of the year to the middle. They have stayed the same since then tho.

The 2014-2015 team went 8-2 down the stretch in the B1G in February/March.
Then lost to an awful Penn State team in the B1G tournament and needed a win against the worst Davidson team in recent memory before getting their doors blown off by Gonzaga. One could argue that the Davidson win is the sole reason Fran is still employed at Iowa.

Personally as pissed as I am at watching a Fran led team crumble at the end of the year yet again I would give him 1 more. If he can't make the tourney with the talent he has in the Frosh class and what's coming in next year I think we know where our program is headed NO WHERE!

I've been a big supporter of Fran, but I think it is time to move on. Yet another February swoon, and still can't close out close games. But....he won't be fired. If the Hawks don't make the NCAA tournament next year....he should be.

The Davidson team that was the hot pick for all the experts to upset Iowa was a bad team? The game was almost a toss up by tip off. Last year wasn't even a choke job, we just hadn't played Indiana or Wisconsin until the end of the year and they ended up being the best teams in the conference by the time we played them.

Fran is 28-29 in Feb/March over his first 6 years. 30-35 if you include the BTT. His overall B1G record sits at 60-60 so his Feb/March record lines up with that pretty closely. 3 of his did better in Feb/March, 3 did worse. This season looks to be trending toward worse in the W/L department.

2010-2011: 3-6 (1-8 through end of Jan)
2011-2012: 5-4 (3-6)
2012-2013: 4-6 (5-3)
2013-2014: 4-6 (5-3)
2014-2015: 8-2 (4-4)
2015-2016: 4-5 (8-1)

2016-2017: 1-3 so far, 5-5 through Jan

The Davidson team that was the hot pick for all the experts to upset Iowa was a bad team? The game was almost a toss up by tip off. Last year wasn't even a choke job, we just hadn't played Indiana or Wisconsin until the end of the year and they ended up being the best teams in the conference by the time we played them.

Great point. Unfortunately these guys don't care about anything that doesn't fit their narrative.

ehhh, I don't like that comparison. LO had Iowa one Lester injury away from possibly winning a national title. I am all for sticking with FM, but I wouldn't make that the reason why.

The point is not who's a better coach. The point is that people saying he needs to be fired when he has a record like that, including the first few years inheriting a terrible team, sound asasine.

ehhh, I don't like that comparison. LO had Iowa one Lester injury away from possibly winning a national title. I am all for sticking with FM, but I wouldn't make that the reason why.

At this point, it really is a poor comparison. Lute won a B1G regular season championship and got Iowa to the Final 4 and went on to far greater success at Arizona.

I'm with you as far as sticking with Fran but he is a long, long way from deserving to be mentioned in the same breath as Lute.

There are so many excuses being made for poor performances...did I stumble into the wrestling board by mistake?

Losing to Illinois is terrible. I've been critical of Fran on many occasions. He needs to cut down the rotation and cut Jok's minutes. I'm just trying to educate the Fire Fran crowd.

Latest posts