Fran Gets Paid

Interesting but smart move by Iowa. Can't wait to hear some hypocritical opinions from some Hawk fans.

I do think Fran will get Iowa back to the tourney eventually though. So good for Iowa.

Last edited:
Cograts to Fran, guy has earned it and will not rest. Iowa will be dancing in 2013, just have to believe people!

Interesting move by Iowa. Can't wait to hear some hypocritical opinions from some Hawk fans.

I'll oblige. What are we doing giving a guy that has yet to sniff the NCAA tournament that kinda coin for that long? If I could do better let me know, but that's all I had on short notice.

He's doing a good job getting the BB juices in paople flowing again. I believe he'll build on the momentum of last season. Where does this put him in the B10 pay hierarchy? I'm guessing lower middle, which at this time is fair and commenserate.

Interesting but smart move by Iowa. Can't wait to hear some hypocritical opinions from some Hawk fans.

I do think Fran will get Iowa back to the tourney eventually though. So good for Iowa.

ok, I will bite on this. I like the job Fran has done in turning around the basketball program. But I would not have been in any hurry to lock him down to a long term deal until at least Iowa has been back to the NCAA Tournament. IMO, a NIT bid and signing a top 25 recruiting class is not enough. If I am Gary Barta I still want Fran feeling like he has to earn that contract extension. After all, I do not see other institutions beating down Frans door for his services.

I don't envy Barta at all in situations like this.....

If you wait one more year to see if the turnaround is essentially complete, you run the risk of a bidding war with some other school and run the risk of losing him.

On the other hand, by signing him right now, you're locked in for quite awhile and if for whatever reason the momentum is lost this year, you're stuck.

For what it's worth, I agree with signing him and giving him the add'l coin....especially in light of the attendance increases and the overall add'l money that is coming into the athletic dept from increased television revenue from BTN. On the other hand, I probably would not have made it for 7 years.

Look at this from Gary Barta's perspective. If Fran has a decent year, which everyone expects will happen, then some bigger program may come calling for Fran. Without an extension, Fran would be foolish not to listen.

With wins, attendance and program interest increasing, the last thing Barta needs is to lose his coach and have to start over again which could cause the program to regress. At that point, Barta's job becomes in jeopardy. So this extension is also in part a way for Barta to protect his own employment.

Great move. I support this 100%. Iowa basketball is on the move again. The NIT bid was the beginning.

Congratulations Coach Fran!!!!

Look at this from Gary Barta's perspective. If Fran has a decent year, which everyone expects will happen, then some bigger program may come calling for Fran. Without an extension, Fran would be foolish not to listen.

With wins, attendance and program interest increasing, the last thing Barta needs is to lose his coach and have to start over again which could cause the program to regress. At that point, Barta's job becomes in jeopardy. So this extension is also in part a way for Barta to protect his own employment.

If Fran doesn't pan out, Gary Barta will not have the opportunity to choose a 3rd basketball coach. So signing him or not signing him to an extension doesn't necessarily save his job. Fran's performance is what will save his job.

Good move by Iowa to lock him up. And I can tell you this...................

If he succeeds at Iowa, he would only get more expensive.

If he fails at Iowa, it would cost Iowa more than that to get a high-enough-quality coach to turn around a program that will have sucked for over a decade by that time (unless a former player would decide to take the reins to revive the program--I'm talking about BJ Armstrong--don't dismiss).

Easy call for Barta.

If Fran doesn't pan out, Gary Barta will not have the opportunity to choose a 3rd basketball coach. So signing him or not signing him to an extension doesn't necessarily save his job. Fran's performance is what will save his job.

I just meant that if Fran left next spring for a bigger job, because he didn't have an extension yet, then Barta would be under a lot of heat. So signing him now, eliminates that Risk. But you're right, if Fran doesn't win Barta will not be picking the replacement.

Those who are bemoaning this move are missing the cardinal rule of investment: Buy low.

If you've been following our roster at all this summer, I think you have a pretty good idea of where our team is headed. Better to sign him to a long-term deal now as opposed to in couple years when he has established himself as a program builder.

I just meant that if Fran left next spring for a bigger job, because he didn't have an extension yet, then Barta would be under a lot of heat. So signing him now, eliminates that Risk. But you're right, if Fran doesn't win Barta will not be picking the replacement.

Couldn't Fran STILL leave for another job? Or is something written into a coach's contract that says he can't, or would owe "compensation" of some sort, etc. if he bails on the contract?

Those who are bemoaning this move are missing the cardinal rule of investment: Buy low.

If you've been following our roster at all this summer, I think you have a pretty good idea of where our team is headed. Better to sign him to a long-term deal now as opposed to in couple years when he has established himself as a program builder.

I agree though I'd debate that it'd take a couple of years for him to establish himself as a program builder... isn't that why we hired him in the first place, because of his history as a program builder? That said we're all pessimists due to the last 10 years or so of the program so I understand that many of us don't see that Fran's already well on the road to doing at Iowa what he's done elsewhere.

ok, I will bite on this. I like the job Fran has done in turning around the basketball program. But I would not have been in any hurry to lock him down to a long term deal until at least Iowa has been back to the NCAA Tournament. IMO, a NIT bid and signing a top 25 recruiting class is not enough. If I am Gary Barta I still want Fran feeling like he has to earn that contract extension. After all, I do not see other institutions beating down Frans door for his services.

+ 1

And if we do make the tournamnet this year, 1 appereance still wouldn't make him the next hot coach. He would have to make a deep run in the tourney to be the "next hot coach" and we aren't there yet.