Fran and his kids Gotta go

I’ve read some posts on this thread about Ferentz vs Fran. Don’t even compare the two because one: Ferentz, even in down years, is competitive. Fran: he’s great at coaching inconsistency and how to not play defense and not have toughness...list goes on.

And two: Ferentz is the Goat. People love playing for him. People behind closed doors and true Hawks fans(most) know Ferentz is a HOF coach. Fran is a crybaby who thinks 10-10 is “tremendous” in the B1G and it is a STRAIGHT REFLECTION ON HIS PLAYERS.
They're literally polar opposites.

$

add another 8,999,999 of those -- that's why he's not going anywhere no matter how much you wish for it.
I’d like to think and hope that the University of Iowa’s athletic department would have that kind of money for a buyout. You do realize how much money this athletic department makes off these kids right?

I'd argue Fran is a player's coach too. The outpouring of support after his suspension is evidence of that.

It's still not enough though.

I liked my first college football coach a lot. I credited him and the DC for getting me to a school I love, and I loved playing for them. That doesn't mean it was improper of the administration to ask him to step down after we won 9 games in 3 years, including an abysmal 1-9 season that could have just as easily been winless.

While I never want Iowa to be a "win at all costs" type of place, at the end of the day, you gotta have results.
I’d disagree to be honest, in my opinion I don’t think he’s quite the players coach like Kirk.

I’d like to think and hope that the University of Iowa’s athletic department would have that kind of money for a buyout. You do realize how much money this athletic department makes off these kids right?
They’re not going to throw away $9M — doesn’t matter how much they make.

they make money off the fans — not the kids. The kids know what’s what. It’s not slavery.

Barta would have to raise the money. They can't just use revenue from the athletic department. That would need to be approved by the Board of Regents. The revenue in any year is already earmarked to be distributed throughout the University.

Imagine that call from Barta to the boosters. "Ya um, I hired this guy, gave him insane contracts in the face of stagnation, and publicly backed him multiple times upon embarrassment. So you want to kick in to fix my mistakes?"

they make money off the fans — not the kids. The kids know what’s what. It’s not slavery.
They had no problem throwing away $6m. But I guess they have to draw the line somewhere.

So Fran gets a pay raise from finishing in the top half of the big ten(so I heard) but using your logic he could do that without the players.

You’re brainwashed if you don’t realize how much money the PLAYERS bring in to the university.

Because duke has Zion tickets to the Duke vs North Carolina game were more expensive than usual (more than some SB tickets). While Iowa does make most money off the fans they make a lot from the players performing well.

So Fran gets a pay raise from finishing in the top half of the big ten(so I heard) but using your logic he could do that without the players.

You’re brainwashed if you don’t realize how much money the PLAYERS bring in to the university.

Because duke has Zion tickets to the Duke vs North Carolina game were more expensive than usual (more than some SB tickets). While Iowa does make most money off the fans they make a lot from the players performing well.
I'll make it easy for you. one thing at a time.

they're not getting rid of Fran at 9 million dollars and it doesn't matter how many millions of more dollars the athletic department makes. even brainwashed people know the rich don't throw millions away because they make millions more. do you understand that?

They had no problem throwing away $6m. But I guess they have to draw the line somewhere.
of course they had a problem with that? that's why they went to trial instead of settling out of court.

I mean...are we sure that Patrick is any good? He didn't do anything at State, and Iowa state ain't exactly New York...

Its pretty simple to me. When you subtract the gimme wins from the total win column, and you end up with more losses than wins the team is below average. The games are pretty boring to watch. The coaches don't seem to focus on rebounding, ect. ect. . The Lute Olson and Tom Davis teams were well coached and fun to watch. The Lickliter, Raveling, and Alford teams were boring. I have a feeling that next years team will be boring too, but they would be a lot more interesting with a different coach. Its boring to watch a team that wants to run when they don't really have the athletes for it. This team has a lot of talent that could be utilized more effectively.

I mean...are we sure that Patrick is any good? He didn't do anything at State, and Iowa state ain't exactly New York...
I don’t expect Pat to be an instant contributor, or at least as much as you normally would expect a kid ranked that high. His ranking is based on potential. If the weight comes and the 3pt shot comes in a couple year soon he could be a pretty solid player.

As an aside I watched some videos of Joe Toussaint’s playoff run in whatever NY league he was in. It was awful basketball, the teams played worse fundamental defense than this Iowa team does. There were a few athletes here and there but quite honestly it looked like an AAU tournament. Joe was lost on defense at a fairly alarming rate as well, which means he will fit right in at Iowa (I thought defense was supposed to be his calling card which made it more frustrating).

Latest posts