Four Hawkeyes Invited to NFL Draft Combine

338 guys would be over 10 full rounds of 32 picks. Last year there were 256 total selections.

Seems it not much of an honor to be selected to the combine. With that said I think all four Iowa guys are locks to be drafted.

So what do people think about the odds of the graduated Hawks in finding their way onto an NFL team. If you had to rank, how would you order them most likely to least: Gervase, Easley, Render, Reynolds, Hesse, M. Nelson?

So what do people think about the odds of the graduated Hawks in finding their way onto an NFL team. If you had to rank, how would you order them most likely to least: Gervase, Easley, Render, Reynolds, Hesse, M. Nelson?
I think Render has a good shot at sticking, especially if you count the practice squad. He's able to play center or guard, and could be a useful guy to bounce on and off the 53.

I think Render has a good shot at sticking, especially if you count the practice squad. He's able to play center or guard, and could be a useful guy to bounce on and off the 53.

I would rate him #1 as well, probably followed by Matt Nelson. I would kind of lump the rest in a similar, lower tier, but probably give Reynolds and Easley the slight advantage within that tier.

Render
Nelson
Reynolds
Easley
Hesse
Gervase

If James Ferentz is still practice squading it up in the league. Render and Reynolds can do no less than that...

I'm curious about Gervase and how he'd might do. He might be a special teamer in the NFL. M Nelson should get a shot as well but the defensive line in this class is ridiculously deep. Hesse's measurables won't endear him to the NFL I'm afraid. And Easley it just depends on how fast he might be. I thought McAaron would do well especially with Brady when he went to NE but he's struggled. And he's fast ran a 4.3 something. I'm not so sure Easley can get close to that..

If James Ferentz is still practice squading it up in the league. Render and Reynolds can do no less than that...

I'm curious about Gervase and how he'd might do. He might be a special teamer in the NFL. M Nelson should get a shot as well but the defensive line in this class is ridiculously deep. Hesse's measurables won't endear him to the NFL I'm afraid. And Easley it just depends on how fast he might be. I thought McAaron would do well especially with Brady when he went to NE but he's struggled. And he's fast ran a 4.3 something. I'm not so sure Easley can get close to that..

Not practice squad, active roster for the Super Bowl (activated from practice squad in November).

Easley is basically a bigger (5' 11", 205 vs. 5' 9", 186), faster (he has broken some of McCarron's testing records), more productive version of McCarron.

GP REC YDS TD Long REC/G AVG/C AVG/G
2017 13 51 530 4 45 3.9 10.4 40.8
2018 13 52 494 5 75 4.0 9.5 38.0
Total 26 103 1024 9 75 4.0 9.9 39.4

GP REC YDS TD Long REC/G AVG/C AVG/G
2015 14 5 56 1 25 0.4 11.2 4.0
2016 13 42 517 4 77 3.2 12.3 39.8
Total 46 50 584 5 77 1.1 11.7 12.7

Also notable, there was this from the article @99topdawg posted recently.
Deep Sleepers
Nick Easley, WR, Iowa

A JUCO transfer who walked on at Iowa only to start the last two seasons, Easley wasn’t crazy productive in an Iowa offense that has never really produced big-time talent at receiver, but he consistently caught my eye watching Fant and Hockenson. He ran a 3.77 short shuttle at Iowa, best in program history. That is a BLAZING number.

Meanwhile, this slot fade from Nick Easley (WR 84) is great.
-Inside - outside release
-Great jab step w/inside foot
-Splits the double coverage
-Ball is placed perfectly -- he secures it

Easley didn’t get any all-star love, so the Combine is unlikely, but his pro day will be one to watch for the 5-11, 205-pound senior.​

Hesse is smaller than Mitch King by a country mile.

Like King, he's a hell of a ball player, a stand up guy, and a great Hawkeye that I'll be a fan of forever, but he has zero chance of playing in the NFL.

NFL ball is the great equalizer of the entire sport, more so than the MLB or even NBA in baseball and basketball respectively. You could have the highest motor on the planet and hip sled 2,000 lbs, but--as put so eloquently by big block motor fans--there's no replacement for displacement. Gravity wins every time and NFL OTs have plenty of it.

With his amount of smarts and talent, genetics fucked Parker Hesse and didn't even buy him dinner. Give the kid 2 inches and 25 lbs. and he'd be getting drafted. And yes I know Yannick Ngakoue is smaller, but Parker Hesse ain't Yannick Ngakoue.

I would rate him #1 as well, probably followed by Matt Nelson. I would kind of lump the rest in a similar, lower tier, but probably give Reynolds and Easley the slight advantage within that tier.
Is Nelson even interested? He's on a path to be a surgeon.

But back to the question at hand. They will all get a chance at their cup of tea. Hopefully they make the most of it.

Why, don't the tables go up and down?

Only one person in a big team around the operating table; doubt the others will be 6' 8". No problem, though, it will all be robotic soon, and it will be much easier to adjust his robot controls.

Only one person in a big team around the operating table; doubt the others will be 6' 8". No problem, though, it will all be robotic soon, and it will be much easier to adjust his robot controls.
As for robotics, I believe he's said he wants to go into orthopedics, in which case I think robotics are a long ways off for many procedures.

Hesse is smaller than Mitch King by a country mile.

Like King, he's a hell of a ball player, a stand up guy, and a great Hawkeye that I'll be a fan of forever, but he has zero chance of playing in the NFL.

NFL ball is the great equalizer of the entire sport, more so than the MLB or even NBA in baseball and basketball respectively. You could have the highest motor on the planet and hip sled 2,000 lbs, but--as put so eloquently by big block motor fans--there's no replacement for displacement. Gravity wins every time and NFL OTs have plenty of it.

With his amount of smarts and talent, genetics fucked Parker Hesse and didn't even buy him dinner. Give the kid 2 inches and 25 lbs. and he'd be getting drafted. And yes I know Yannick Ngakoue is smaller, but Parker Hesse ain't Yannick Ngakoue.

Karl Klug played 7 seasons between 270 and 280, 90% of that was on the inside. Technique and leverage carried him a long way. Odds are against Hesse making it, but I wouldn't say zero chance.