Forum Rules

RobHowe

Administrator
I figure it would be a good time remind everyone of the forum rules. I won't be covering everything, but will focus on the recent COVID-19 thread on our basketball board.

With an unprecedented pandemic hitting the world, I wanted to let people discuss it. I thought it would be a good source of information and a way to hopefully bring people together during a tough time.

While it served what I felt should be its purpose to a degree, it deteriorated into a politically charged debate with news about the virus being drawn down partisan lines. It was fair to expect the discussion to become political and that was probably the sign that it wasn't going to work longterm.

I locked the thread today and we are moving back to the "old rules" here at HN. These message boards are for Hawkeye sports discussion. They're not for political discussion. They're not for religious discussion. They're not for discussing social issues. I'm not creating an off-topic board. There are plenty of places to discuss other topics. And, again, if you guys want to start your own board, here's the LINK to a free site to do so.

Now, there's a thread on the football board about whether or not college football returns in the fall. While I realize folks will be discussing the virus in that thread, it will not include politics, period. It won't include posting politically driven links about the virus. It will not include posts about what could have been done previously to contain the virus or what should be done going forward. We are not experts. We don't know. It won't include posts on whether or not masks should be worn, etc.

You get the idea.

We can discuss the virus as it relates to Iowa Hawkeye sports, when they might return and what that might look like. That's it.

Please do not push it. Moderating these message boards by myself is not easy. I'm not going to spend time babysitting people and take away time I can spend producing content.

Thank you,

Rob

Heh...it's hilarious you capped it at 4,999 replies. You should have dropped one final reply then locked it at 5k.

There used to be a rule of thumb

Don't discuss Religion or Politics

That is how my relatives and friends communicate with each other

1ddd877f06600441cebfdde75758caec.jpg

What is quite sad and disconcerting is that we have evolved into a society who can't now. It is so extreme to both sides that people can't have a genuine and sincere discussion. Quite sad.

I figured that someone from your political party would feel this way. ;)

Disclaimer: That was sarcasm for those who don't have their detectors on. I do not know Melrose's party. I wouldn't rip on his party anyway, because I don't have a party...just like high school. :(

I locked the thread today
Best thing that's ever happened on this board.

I hope everyone is healthy, employed, and doing as well as possible. I know some of you likely are struggling in one or more of those areas due to this mess, and I want to say that I feel for you and I hope things improve quick. Genuinely.

Anyone can feel free to PM me if they want or need to chit chat outside of a thread.

Go Hawks, whenever it may happen again.

You must be of the younger age, because it's never been this polar opposite and extreme. There is no middle ground and if a politician doesn't stick with and/or support either the donkey or elephant's ideologies, that party shuns them.

Go back and study presidential elections from after George

Best thing that's ever happened on this board.

I hope everyone is healthy, employed, and doing as well as possible. I know some of you likely are struggling in one or more of those areas due to this mess, and I want to say that I feel for you and I hope things improve quick. Genuinely.

Anyone can feel free to PM me if they want or need to chit chat outside of a thread.

Go Hawks, whenever it may happen again.
Welcome back Fry! Missed you around here. Now things can get rolling again!

It was all contained to one thread pretty much.
Now it can be contained to zero threads.

That garbage turns forums into reddit, facebook, and twitter all rolled into one. Aren't there enough people to squawk at on those three formats?

And what's wrong with the free board idea that Rob posted? You shot down my idea of going to reddit several times, but I'd bet dollars for donuts if you started a free board all 20 of the people you argued COVID and politics with would follow you over there for more discussion. You could be a mod and do whatever you want. Hell, I'd even go join just so you could have the long awaited pleasure of dropping the ban hammer on me. Tell me why that wouldn't work for you. I'm honestly curious, no sarcasm.

We get bombarded with virus talk 24 hours a day in every aspect of our lives; this place is (or should be) a respite from it.

And you've still never answered my question (even before the current events) about why you have a need to talk politics here when there are numerous places that are purpose-built for it with folks who like that stuff. The only reason I can possibly think of is that you feel a primal need to scream and be heard, because you're not dumb enough to think that you'll change anyone's mind. There are literally hundreds of places online that would nurture your desire to argue this stuff yet you have this weird compulsion that it has to be done here.

Now it can be contained to zero threads.

That garbage turns forums into reddit, facebook, and twitter all rolled into one. Aren't there enough people to squawk at on those three formats?

And what's wrong with the free board idea that Rob posted? You shot down my idea of going to reddit several times, but I'd bet dollars for donuts if you started a free board all 20 of the people you argued COVID and politics with would follow you over there for more discussion. You could be a mod and do whatever you want. Hell, I'd even go join just so you could have the long awaited pleasure of dropping the ban hammer on me. Tell me why that wouldn't work for you. I'm honestly curious, no sarcasm.

We get bombarded with virus talk 24 hours a day in every aspect of our lives; this place is (or should be) a respite from it.

And you've still never answered my question (even before the current events) about why you have a need to talk politics here when there are numerous places that are purpose-built for it with folks who like that stuff. The only reason I can possibly think of is that you feel a primal need to scream and be heard, because you're not dumb enough to think that you'll change anyone's mind. There are literally hundreds of places online that would nurture your desire to argue this stuff yet you have this weird compulsion that it has to be done here.
First off, you have no problem at all writing long drawn out posts about your beliefs, just like the one I just quoted. Secondly, the only reason I've done it on here is this is the only place I go to. It's a convenience thing. Rob made it as convenient as possible by providing a link and I thanked him for that. I even said I would do it as long as someone else got it started because I suck at technology. And C, I would never ban you. You would be my favorite poster.

First off, you have no problem at all writing long drawn out posts about your beliefs, just like the one I just quoted. Secondly, the only reason I've done it on here is this is the only place I go to. It's a convenience thing. Rob made it as convenient as possible by providing a link and I thanked him for that. I even said I would do it as long as someone else got it started because I suck at technology. And C, I would never ban you. You would be my favorite poster.
Here you go. All ready to go. I called it PCHawkTalk. JOIN UP, BOYS.

https://pchawktalk.proboards.com/

I'll moderate and manage it for you 100% free of charge until such time that you want to take it over. I only have two requests...

1) that you guys still patronize HN for Hawkeye sports or I'll close it down.

2) For those people currently members of HN, use your HN user ID.

I created a forum where you can request new forum topics. IDGAF what you guys talk about over there as long as it keeps it off this board. If anyone falsely uses someone's HN user ID it'll be a ban, but other than that knock yourselves out. Obviously no threats, slurs, etc. and train wrecks that devolve into strictly name-calling, etc will get locked.

I might even play along if a thread seems interesting since it won't be on this board.

@RobHowe if this isn't allowed let me know and I'll kill it. I specified that it's for off-topic stuff. If you want to join too I'll even make you a kick ass custom PCHT avatar.

Last edited:
Welp. It ain't the base of this message board. So stop. And don't argue with me. I'm not in the mood.

Well I will. I've sat byf years you let Fry, Dean, TK, DD, and Let be nasty as hell to people and since it wasn't you it was OK. You didn't say a word to Mel.

Kiss my ass...bye. At least have the guts to delete rather than ban. I'm not in the mood to put up with Fry or your taking an easy shot at me. Mympost was as fine as MEL AND Fry is an ass.