Former verbal committments to Iowa

khock

2011 - Melvin Gordon - 4 star (Wisconsin)
2012 - Alex Kozan - 4 star (Auburn)
2013 - Delano Hill - 4 star (Michigan)
2014 - Ross Pierschbacher - 4 star (Alabama)

I love the Hawks, I'm an alum of Iowa and I definitely take a positive approach to each year but this is not a good trend ... combined with last years 4-8 season. Ouch.

It happens. Not saying I'm thrilled with it, but it happens to everyone. I would also guess there is a correlation between star rating & likelihood of switching (more stars = more schools staying in the kid's ear after his initial commitment).

I don't recall that Kozan was ever a verbal commit but I do agree that I wish the players named were in IOwa uniforms.

Kozan never commited

What about players that have switched to Iowa?

CJ Fed
Reggie Spearman
Leshun Daniels
CJ Beatherd
Barkley Hill

Last edited:
2011 - Melvin Gordon - 4 star (Wisconsin) [would have been nice get at the time, but didn't need]
2012 - Alex Kozan - 4 star (Auburn) [didn't need]
2013 - Delano Hill - 4 star (Michigan) [didn't need]
2014 - Ross Pierschbacher - 4 star (Alabama) [don't need or want]

I love the Hawks, I'm an alum of Iowa and I definitely take a positive approach to each year but this is not a good trend ... combined with last years 4-8 season. Ouch.

Melvin Gordon - was from Wisconsin, he said publicly that his whole family and friends were pressuring him to switch to Wisconsin.
Alex Kozan - it was a rumor that he committed, never actually verified by anyone in the recruiting business, by anyone at Scout, Rivals or 247sports.
Delano Hill - was from Michigan and said before he committed to Iowa that Michigan was his dream school and was told by Michigan they didn't have room for him. Then someone decommitted or transferred until after he committed to Iowa.
David Kenney - his dad was hired by Indiana to be a recruiting assistant, a few months later his dad left Indiana by then he had formed a good relationship with coaches and other commits.
Ross Pierschbacher - As Jon Miller pointed out, he didn't have an Alabama offer until after he committed to Iowa. Within a few weeks he was already showing signs in interviews that he committed too early.

Gordon , Kenney, Hill and Ross P would all be in the need category for me. Kenney the most though.

I agree it is frustrating, but here are 4-star recruits that committed to Iowa AND signed:

2012 - Faith Ekakatie - 4 star DT
2012 - Greg Garmon - 4 star RB
2012- Jaleel Johnson - 4 star DT
2011 - Jordan Walsch - 4 star OG
2011 - Darrian Cooper - 4 star DT
2011 - Rodney Coe - 4 star RB/OLB now DE didn't qualify out of HS
2011 - Nico Law - 4 star S
2010 - CJ Fiedorowicz - 4 star TE
2010 - Andrew Donnal 4 star OT

There are an average of 54 5-star rated players per year and 285 4-star in the nation as ranked by Scout. So 5-star players are rare and 4-star don't exactly grow on trees.

If you were to split them up equally among BCS level schools, that works out to four 4-star per BCS level school on average and way less than one 5-star

The B1G schools have only signed 13% of ALL 5-star players and 14% of 4-star over the past 12 years. As a matter of fact over the past 12 years, the B1G has only signed 85 5-star players! 480 4-star. Furthermore,78% of the 5-star players which committed to playing in the B1G have signed with the blue blood schools of Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State. Additionally, these 3 recruiting juggernauts have secured 64% of the 4-star players leaving crumbs for the rest of the conference.

The state of Iowa high school football produces on average less than ONE 4-Star recruit per year and THREE 3-Star.

An average of 10 Iowa HS players commit to play for BCS level schools with Iowa and ISU taking all but a very small few.
6 out of 10 of those BCS level kids are 2-star or not rated.

I agree it is frustrating, but here are 4-star recruits that committed to Iowa AND signed:

2012 - Faith Ekakatie - 4 star DT
2012 - Greg Garmon - 4 star RB
2012- Jaleel Johnson - 4 star DT
2011 - Jordan Walsch - 4 star OG
2011 - Darrian Cooper - 4 star DT
2011 - Rodney Coe - 4 star RB/OLB now DE didn't qualify out of HS
2011 - Nico Law - 4 star S
2010 - CJ Fiedorowicz - 4 star TE
2010 - Andrew Donnal 4 star OT

Really?! Don't turn a perfectly negative/downer post opportunity into something positive, richardhead move dude.

Can I get a list of guys who weren't 4 star guys who were dominant ball players at Iowa? Never mind, posting such a list would prolly crash the server.

Latest posts