Former ISU bball star dead at 23

At the risk of becoming called Cy Troll, which I am for sure not... How is Fran any different, offering a convicted felon? All these programs are under extreme pressure to win.

The Hawks hired a guy with anger management issues who easily could have spun out of control. I saw Iowa coaches recruiting a kid many of you never knew about. The kid went to another school and got arrested for pot and now transferring.

There has probably only been 1 Iowa coach who won and really did it right in modern (post 1960) times.

The attitude that every other program is stupid and dirty and we are not gets old.

Very few coaches today are interested in doing it "the right way". There isn't time to do that.To get a coaching deal you have to have done just what Fran did. Otherwise, why not hire an "Iowa" guy like BJ or Bobby...

All these coaches are looking for a fast fix.

Well I thought Mr. Davis and Lute both did it the right way.......... So I am counting two coaches since the seventies.

Are you familiar with the concept of frequency? Once...or once in a great while...is quite different than a consistent pattern.

Giving one kid a shot to get back on track cause he might help your program, like Fran did with recruit you referenced is one thing. Building your program around misfits, one year transfers and guys of questionable character is quite another.

But as the saying goes...if I have to explain it.

That was a pretty big shot. And a long one. Don't sugar coat it.

I said multiple times that there's a good chance nothing would have changed this outcome. Again, your reading comprehension skills seem to be failing you. Either that or your trying to see something that just isn't there. I even said it's entirely possible Hoiberg made efforts behind the scenes that no one knows about to try and get BDJ to grow up.

My only point was that on the surface it doesn't look like Hoiberg's approach helped BDJ at all. It looks as if it only made it worse. You don't reward a guy for being an idiot. Getting him out of trouble that he earned the right to be disciplined for is a form of a reward. I have a 14 week old son. When he does something stupid, which I'm sure will happen sooner or later, you can be damn sure he's going to face the music. That's how you learn and become an adult. Now I have a military background, and discipline and respect is of the utmost importance to me so maybe my outlook is a little bit more jaded than yours.

I've got young sons and you are correct, the best way to influence their behavior is swift and immediate discipline IMO. What I would never expect is somebody to even have the chance to change them when they are 22 if I didn't do those things.

all coaches looking for a fast fix?

so how many kids has the 'anger management' coach brought in that was a one time/two time reject at another school?

That begs the question, how many players has the coach brought in that were highly recruited by other schools outside of when Woody was recruited. Not a lot. He has done well though. Next year or two are watershed years.

This thread is a perfect example of why just because something happened it doesn't need to have online commentary. Personally I would prefer when something like this happens that has no UI connection, and this doesn't have a Hawkeye connection, that it not be a topic on this board.

We can all figure out something horribly bad happened that was a result of poor decisions being made, at bare minimum. We can all draw our own conclusions as to what kind of person the deceased was. Those things don't need to be discussed here.

Does it make people feel good to call a dead person who was apparently in the process of breaking into a residence names? Is that not something that can be left unsaid in this public forum? What purpose does it serve if not to make the person saying it feel better, I guess?

Do we really need to concern ourselves with how a fan base is dealing with the situation when it isn't ours? What is the purpose of discussing it here and calling them names? It isn't our issue but that of a rival school. Because it is a rival does it have to be a topic of discussion here?

I am sorry, but all of this could have gone unsaid. There was no need for it to be on this board. The only reason I post here now is to give people something to think about for future reference if something comes up again, and it will, that doesn't need to be discussed in a public forum like this one.

This thread is a perfect example of why just because something happened it doesn't need to have online commentary. Personally I would prefer when something like this happens that has no UI connection, and this doesn't have a Hawkeye connection, that it not be a topic on this board.

We can all figure out something horribly bad happened that was a result of poor decisions being made, at bare minimum. We can all draw our own conclusions as to what kind of person the deceased was. Those things don't need to be discussed here.

Does it make people feel good to call a dead person who was apparently in the process of breaking into a residence names? Is that not something that can be left unsaid in this public forum? What purpose does it serve if not to make the person saying it feel better, I guess?

Do we really need to concern ourselves with how a fan base is dealing with the situation when it isn't ours? What is the purpose of discussing it here and calling them names? It isn't our issue but that of a rival school. Because it is a rival does it have to be a topic of discussion here?

I am sorry, but all of this could have gone unsaid. There was no need for it to be on this board. The only reason I post here now is to give people something to think about for future reference if something comes up again, and it will, that doesn't need to be discussed in a public forum like this one.

I understand you mean well, and I respect that, but if these are truly your expectations then I probably wouldn't bother visiting message boards in the first place. Especially not in the off-season. This is a place to discuss things, and suprise! Things are going to be discussed. Whether it has to do with Iowa, Iowa State, Penn State, or Baylor.

BDJ's death, Baylor's recent transgressions, Penn State's past problems... all of those things would be off limits according to your "horrible" or "poor decision making" filters. Frankly, I think that's ridiculous. If you don't want to see other people share their opinion on major topics in the current sports landscape then don't visit message boards. It's the off-season. There's nothing else to talk about. The place is dead for the most part. It shouldn't be upsetting to anyone that these things are being discussed. That's what message boards are for... discussion.

I'm trying to remember when a convicted felon suited up for Iowa, hell even practiced for Iowa, under Fran. I'll be waiting for hawkgoldtroll to refresh my memory.

I'm trying to remember when a convicted felon suited up for Iowa, hell even practiced for Iowa, under Fran. I'll be waiting for hawkgoldtroll to refresh my memory.

I know you already know this, but he is alluding to Anthony Hubbard. Who never suited up for Iowa, never practiced for Iowa and who the fan base was clearly divided on even attempting to bring him in.

There is nothing wrong with taking chances on players. Hubbard not suiting up for Iowa had little to do with Iowa's decisions. Had he not gotten into more trouble...then, he would have been here whether he was asked to leave or not. My only point is the silly piety that Iowa is heaven and when bad things happen other places they are the devil. Nothing trolly about that. Your use of trolly is pretty troll itself in the definition.

Thawki is simply saying it's not nice to talk about a guy who is dead. It is sad. Some of the comments about him are pretty stupid and not done for discussion sake, simply chest pounding.

I do remember an Iowa player under Fry killed someone.

The dorm rape situation under Ferentz will also be murky.

Vince Brookins is an example of a kid who maybe should not have been recruited, but it turned out well. He was stabbed in the heart during the Collinswood High Riots. Maybe he was completely innocent in that, but it still didn't look good. I believe he had a brother who died violently. The guy has done well in life. Vince also had a brother that played at Southeastern in Burlington and played at SEMO later.

There is pressure to win.

It means that we have carried PC too far, that every incident like this spurs debates that aren't even germane to the situation and that people now require being coddled when they don't get their way or have to listen to differing opinions.

and what does the latest mean in relationship to the topic? How are PTSD safe zones related to the topic?

There is nothing wrong with taking chances on players. Hubbard not suiting up for Iowa had little to do with Iowa's decisions. Had he not gotten into more trouble...then, he would have been here whether he was asked to leave or not. My only point is the silly piety that Iowa is heaven and when bad things happen other places they are the devil. Nothing trolly about that. Your use of trolly is pretty troll itself in the definition.

Thawki is simply saying it's not nice to talk about a guy who is dead. It is sad. Some of the comments about him are pretty stupid and not done for discussion sake, simply chest pounding.

I do remember an Iowa player under Fry killed someone.

The dorm rape situation under Ferentz will also be murky.

Vince Brookins is an example of a kid who maybe should not have been recruited, but it turned out well. He was stabbed in the heart during the Collinswood High Riots. Maybe he was completely innocent in that, but it still didn't look good. I believe he had a brother who died violently. The guy has done well in life. Vince also had a brother that played at Southeastern in Burlington and played at SEMO later.

There is pressure to win.

Wait, Brookins was literally stabbed in the heart? How did he survive let alone play basketball?

Loved Vince, dude could shoot it.

I understand you mean well, and I respect that, but if these are truly your expectations then I probably wouldn't bother visiting message boards in the first place. Especially not in the off-season. This is a place to discuss things, and suprise! Things are going to be discussed. Whether it has to do with Iowa, Iowa State, Penn State, or Baylor.

BDJ's death, Baylor's recent transgressions, Penn State's past problems... all of those things would be off limits according to your "horrible" or "poor decision making" filters. Frankly, I think that's ridiculous. If you don't want to see other people share their opinion on major topics in the current sports landscape then don't visit message boards. It's the off-season. There's nothing else to talk about. The place is dead for the most part. It shouldn't be upsetting to anyone that these things are being discussed. That's what message boards are for... discussion.

Actually, though it may not have come across that way, the only thing I would prefer not be discussed is the death of people that are not directly related to Iowa's programs. I don't see any need to have that be on this message board so that it opens up all kinds of opportunities for people to make disparaging comments that are better off unsaid in this forum. I get it that he was in the middle of a criminal act. But just because it happened doesn't mean it has to be discussed here and then all of the ugly commentary that comes with it is discussed as well.

It's really a bad look for all concerned. It's just classless. If you don't have something nice to say, about a dead person, then don't say it. Except for Hitler. You can say bad things about Hitler. But that's it.:)

Actually, though it may not have come across that way, the only thing I would prefer not be discussed is the death of people that are not directly related to Iowa's programs. I don't see any need to have that be on this message board so that it opens up all kinds of opportunities for people to make disparaging comments that are better off unsaid in this forum. I get it that he was in the middle of a criminal act. But just because it happened doesn't mean it has to be discussed here and then all of the ugly commentary that comes with it is discussed as well.

It's really a bad look for all concerned. It's just classless. If you don't have something nice to say, about a dead person, then don't say it. Except for Hitler. You can say bad things about Hitler. But that's it.:)

Eh I don't think it's a bad look at all discussing the poor decisions made by a dead guy. Guess we just don't see eye to eye. His poor decisions got him killed. So did a heck of a lot of others. Hell maybe talking about it will prevent someone else from kicking down doors at 3 am.

Wait, Brookins was literally stabbed in the heart? How did he survive let alone play basketball?

Loved Vince, dude could shoot it.

Yes he did. One of my favorite players ever. I think it was during the riots associated with/near his high school in east Cleveland.

Just looked it up. My memory isn't so bad: http://highschoolsports.cleveland.c...ollinwood-basketball-standout-vince-brookins/

He was a fantastic story of a young man given a chance. Not mentioned, but I think it happened, a brother died violently. I did see his younger brother play. He was like a smaller Vince. More ball handling, but like Vince a bit undersized for what he was doing. I remember Lute getting mad when Al McGuire said something about letting Kenny Arnold and Vince Brookins loosen up and play like on the streets. They both could really play. Both very under rated in my book. Though he went to a prep school, Steve Carfino wasn't from a terrific place to live either I think.