Former ISU bball star dead at 23

Tyler's substance abuse problems didn't hurt those around him? Obviously you've never had someone close to you that had those issues. Good job on the thug word though, I assume that's what you called our own Roy Marble when he passed away?

Tyler wasn't breaking down doors to get into someone's house. Tyler wasn't harassing his neighbors for months and months like Bryce did in Ames. That's what I mean by hurting other people. His poor choices mainly impacted himself. Bryce was intentionally making decisions that harmed other people. If you don't see the difference I don't know what to tell you. He was absolutely a thug.

Tyler wasn't breaking down doors to get into someone's house. Tyler wasn't harassing his neighbors for months and months like Bryce did in Ames. That's what I mean by hurting other people. His poor choices mainly impacted himself. Bryce was intentionally making decisions that harmed other people. If you don't see the difference I don't know what to tell you. He was absolutely a thug.

Do you call Marble a thug too?

Well the whole thing was tragic in so many ways. The guy could have had a great life and contributed to his community and been someone youth could look up to. However he apparently made some bad decisions and if he was knocking doors down he MAY HAVE had some anger issues.

Anger issues isn't a reason for anyone to die but he probably needed some serious help. That is a very unfortunate ending to this person's life. I in no way can blame the person for shooting him. That's why people have weapons in their residence. That person had every right to defend himself in what must have been a very frightening and threatening moment.

I do send out my condolences to the victim's family and friends. A son, brother, cousin, etc, has been lost.

The decisions that people make can have tragic consequences. I hear about it every single night on the news stations down here in Atlanta, Georgia. Maybe thugs is a bit strong of a word but it's a word that is used by people of all races down here. It may have a racist tone to it to some as it generally is referring to people who commit violent crimes and often times it is associated with black criminals committing violent crimes. However, like I said I talk on a regular basis with law abiding black citizens who refer constantly to the criminals as thugs. Doesn't matter what race they are, White criminals, Italian criminals, Hispanic criminals, or black criminals, if they are committing violent crimes they are often refered to as thugs.

Now maybe some of us are jumping to unfair conclusions, but generally a non-violent person isn't going to knock down doors unless their is some kind of emergency going on. For example, in this case lets just for the sake of argument that his girlfriend (past or present) had called him and told him she was going to commit suicide and he was just trying to get in the apartment to save her life. Then this kind of behavior would be understandable.

Of course most rational people would call the police in these type of situations but I am just trying to be fair here and give an example. Do I think this is what happened? No, but maybe we should not always assume the worst in people. A young life has been tragically lost and it is very regrettable regardless of the reason.

Last edited:

What did Marble do? I'm 30. I was too young to know what was going on when the older Marble was in Iowa City.

It's entirely possible he was a thug. People can change. He probably would have said later in life that he was a thug as a youngster. Unfortunately for Bryce he didn't have the opportunity to grow up.

Why would an almost 50 year old Marble who died of cancer be a thug? Stop trying to spin this, closet Cyclone.

BDJ kicked in two doors at an apartment in the middle of the night while intoxicated. FACT. His baby mama and ex lived in the same complex. FACT. It's reasonable to assume that BDJ did not have good intentions, and his actions very much led to his own demise. It's not insensitive to use common sense and facts to draw conclusions. It's not racist to call someone a thug who was breaking and entering in the middle of the night and had a history of past arrests and behavioral issues.

Stop bringing up Sash. Stop bringing up Marble. And kindly GTFO.

Well the whole thing was tragic in so many ways. The guy could have had a great life and contributed to his community and been someone youth could look up to. However he apparently made some bad decisions and if he was knocking doors down he MAY HAVE had some anger issues.

Anger issues isn't a reason for anyone to die but he probably needed some serious help. That is a very unfortunate ending to this person's life. I in no way can blame the person for shooting him. That's why people have weapons in their residence. That person had every right to defend himself in what must have been a very frightening and threatening moment.

I do send out my condolences to the victim's family and friends. A son, brother, cousin, etc, has been lost.

The decisions that people make can have tragic consequences. I hear about it every single night on the news stations down here in Atlanta, Georgia. Maybe thugs is a bit strong of a word but it's a word that is used by people of all races down here. It may have a racist tone to it to some as it generally is referring to people who commit violent crimes and often times it is associated with black criminals committing violent crimes. However, like I said I talk on a regular basis with law abiding black citizens who refer constantly to the criminals as thugs. Doesn't matter what race they are, White criminals, Italian criminals, Hispanic criminals, or black criminals, if they are committing violent crimes they are often refered to as thugs.

Now maybe some of us are jumping to unfair conclusions, but generally a non-violent person isn't going to knock down doors unless their is some kind of emergency going on. For example, in this case lets just for the sake of argument that his girlfriend (past or present) had called him and told him she was going to commit suicide and he was just trying to get in the apartment to save her life. Then this kind of behavior would be understandable.

Of course most rational people would call the police in these type of situations but I am just trying to be fair here and give an example. Do I think this is what happened? No, but maybe we should not always assume the worst in people. A young life has been tragically lost and it is very regrettable regardless of the reason.

This is spot on

Bummer. CyFan pulled the thread. They must have realized how incredibly stupid it was making them look.

Btw... Randy Peterson's rag article is almost worse than the CyFan thread.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...es-shot-while-visiting-his-daughter/85126794/

He went for a "walk" at 3 am!? Sounds perfectly normal.

I see the Register has since killed that story, instead replacing it with one almost as bad by the in-house Cyclone Chinaman titled "Misunderstood Dejean-Jones' life ends — just as NBA career starts"

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...rleans-pelicans-iowa-state-cyclones/85105816/

Jeebus, Randy, WTH is wrong with you? The guy was a thug, a bad actor.

Back on Dec. 11, 2014, your very own paper carried the following story:

"Bryce DeJean-Jones' arrest followed previous calls"

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...-dejean-jones-drug-charge-dismissed/20278655/

During the arrest, a small amount of pot, rolling papers and recent ashes were found in the apartment. A judge later dropped a more serious charge of being in a house where drugs are being used because it wasn't clear who the pot belonged to and he doubted the charge could be effectively prosecuted.

However, the Register reporters proceeded to write:

The arrest followed multiple encounters involving police at the apartment where Dejean-Jones lives with another ISU basketball player, Abdel Nader. Huff said police are not looking at bringing any charges against Nader.

Since Aug. 30 (Tweeterhawk note: in just a little more than three months preceding the arrest), police have responded to nine calls about the apartment, mostly complaints about loud music with thumping bass and parties. All of the calls were between the hours of 10 p.m. and 4 a.m., according to police incident reports.

ISU junior Matt White, a former member of the school's wrestling team, told the Iowa State Daily on Thursday that he lives in a neighboring apartment and made the 3:40 a.m. phone call that ended with Dejean-Jones' arrest. The criminal complaint indicates that White called police because people in the basketball players' apartment were being loud while playing video games.

White declined to be interviewed by a Register reporter. According to the Daily, White said that he's had problems with Dejean-Jones' behavior throughout the fall semester and that he met with the basketball star, an Ames police officer and Hoiberg to discuss the issues.

"It has been a bunch of noise complaints, defacing property in the hallway, leaving their trash out there, being disrespectful to everyone who has ever tried to confront them about this," White said.

A person at Dejean-Jones' apartment did not open the door when a reporter knocked and declined to be interviewed.

Dylan Barker, an ISU junior who lives in the apartment directly below Dejean-Jones, can hear loud music and voices from the upstairs apartment on a daily basis, he said. The noise, though frequent, isn't particularly bothersome to Barker.

"We could hear noise, but we didn't really care," he said. "We're college kids, too … they're always bouncing basketballs on the floor."

Barker said that he never reported noise from Dejean-Jones' apartment, but that police were often present at the building.

Sorry CyClown Fanatic, sorry ISUck, sorry NBA, sorry Pelican front office. BDJ was not a role model, someone young people should emulate, a fine young man. He exhibited thuggish behavior much of his life, which ended when he kicked down the door of the wrong apartment and started banging on the bedroom door of a stranger with a gun. At 3:20 in the morning.

Nothing good ever happens after midnight. Your Mama shoulda told you that...

There are young men who die of unfortunate circumstances... accidents, illness, events etc. (Street, Sash, Kinnick, Trice, the bball player from ISU who had serious depression issues and committed suicide by interstate bridge) ....

And then there are those that fall into a different category. That would be this kid.

Sad, yes. But it's closer to natural selection than tragedy.

I think hindsight is showing that Hoiberg was more lucky than good to keep some of these transfers he took in out of serious trouble when they were in Ames. He got a lot of credit for being able to "mentor" troubled guys, but the more time goes by the more it looks like he didn't do them a lot of good.

Royce White went on to completely destroy his once promising career. BDJ ended up getting himself killed.

In Bryce's case the Cyclone program had the opportunity to teach him a lesson. They had the opportunity to instill some responsibility in the kid. Instead BDJ repeatedly had run ins with the police and Hoiberg did everything he could to keep him out of trouble and on the court. It would have been better for Bryce had he learned his lesson the hard way. Instead his mentality that he can do what he wants and get away with it was further supported.

I think Hoiberg is having the same troubles in Chicago. He needs to carry a heavier stick. He's too damn relaxed and laid back. He has to demand respect from his players or they will take advantage of his "nice" personality. He doesn't have to be a jerk. He just has to have a fire that he light when necessary.

I think hindsight is showing that Hoiberg was more lucky than good to keep some of these transfers he took in out of serious trouble when they were in Ames. He got a lot of credit for being able to "mentor" troubled guys, but the more time goes by the more it looks like he didn't do them a lot of good.

Royce White went on to completely destroy his once promising career. BDJ ended up getting himself killed.

In Bryce's case the Cyclone program had the opportunity to teach him a lesson. They had the opportunity to instill some responsibility in the kid. Instead BDJ repeatedly had run ins with the police and Hoiberg did everything he could to keep him out of trouble and on the court. It would have been better for Bryce had he learned his lesson the hard way. Instead his mentality that he can do what he wants and get away with it was further supported.

I think Hoiberg is having the same troubles in Chicago. He needs to carry a heavier stick. He's too damn relaxed and laid back. He has to demand respect from his players or they will take advantage of his "nice" personality. He doesn't have to be a jerk. He just has to have a fire that he light when necessary.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of "don't worry coach, we'll take care of it (and keep it quiet)" from various parties in Ames. Basketball is all they have and must be protected.

I'm sure that was at least some part of Fred's moving on. It's only a matter of time until bad actors cause trouble for the program. The NBA is a little different... a certain amount of it is tolerated (even celebrated by some) and Fred has a much bigger organization to help deal with it.

On a somewhat related note, my daughter attends Gopher U and lives on/near campus. The issues with bball and wrestling are no secret, but the football team is starting to slip too after Kill's departure. He was one of the few coaches that kept tabs on his players, but now that he's gone they're starting to push it and see what they can get away with.

The new AD has some serious clean up to do.

Last edited:
I think ISU is desperate to be recognized as a university in the state and world so in response has created a culture where everything is applauded no matter how good and how bad. Only look at one of their star players Long who is talking about Bryce as being 'misunderstood'? The immediate tone of what is written and said is painting BDJ as a victim of society in a senseless tragedy. Again a culture of no accountability and propping everything up no matter how troubling as positive.

What part of normal society applaudes and paints a person as a victim who is not married to the mother of his child, is asked to leave the birthday party by the girlfriend's mother (not a good sign) and returns at 3:00 am (mistakenly to the wrong residence) unannounced in a fit of rage kicks in the front door and precedes to kick in the bedroom door. We can only speculate that BDJ was not going in that bedroom had it been the right one to just 'talk'. Yet Long says he is 'misunderstood'? In some respects can you blame Long, BDJ, White, McKay or anyone else for that mentality when you are constantly told hey do not worry about it, you are the best, we will take care of it for you and you are the victim.

Long comments waxing poetically about BDJ making it to the ultimate goal, the NBA. Kind of sad when that is all that matters and is valued in one's life. No one including Hoiberg ever stepped in to give this guy any purpose beyond that one thing and as a result he got to live that dream 1 year in a life cut way short. He was simply a vehicle used to win games.

While I wouldn't make BJD out to be a saint, such as was done for Michael Brown, I would be on the side of showing mercy in this case.

He probably had a troubled upbringing and this led to his demise. More than anything I'd blame society and how it fosters the break down of the family.

I can only suggest to several in this thread walk in another mans shoes before becoming an expert on his life. For many where you start in life will often influence where you end.

Last edited: