Former Iowa SID George Wine is a Harris Voter. He voted Ok St 6th

You have no idea if the bolded part is true. Pure speculation. I would argue that it would still be mentioned in arguing for Okie State's BCS Title Game case.

And the talk of OSU losing because they were in mourning is....what, exactly?

I don't think if OSU were to have lost to Oklahoma that day (a team that in many minds was supposed to beat OSU), it would be discussed much, if at all. But they lost to a team that was inferior to them, so it's a hot topic. But upsets happen all the time in college football, for no reason at all.

The media has asked if the crash impacted the game. That's a fair question. But it's not the same as implying/saying OSU lost because they were so deeply affected by it, with absolutely nothing to base that on.

The Big 12 was very mediocre this year...and that will almost always be the case when both Texas and Oklahoma are down. So I have absolutely no problem with OSU being 6th or even worse.

The Big 12 was very mediocre this year...and that will almost always be the case when both Texas and Oklahoma are down. So I have absolutely no problem with OSU being 6th or even worse.

It's the number #1 rated conference in the country. So you either don't watch college football or you're on the same mental level of George Wine. Speaking of George Wine, I think this comment by the SBNation staff pretty much sums up what's going on with voting all over the country with this ridiculous Harris Poll:

"voting is subjective and often arbitrary." says (80-yr old) Wine.

Response from SBnation:

-- So why not cast an indefensible vote that just makes the BCS look even worse than it already did?

Outstanding!

His continued employment by Iowa is noteworthy, since it was OSU's loss to the Iowa St. Cyclones, the Hawkeyes' condescended-upon rival, that dropped the Pokes below Houston in his eyes.

What kind of world would the Iowa fan live in if ISU could claim a victory over the national champion?

That sort of specific, local bias is at play for every voter who participates in any of these polls. It's not just coaches who have very clear and very troublesome personal ties to the teams affected by their votes.

Iowa homer George Wine, your work in undermining the BCS has been noted and appreciated.
(SB NATION)

And the talk of OSU losing because they were in mourning is....what, exactly?

I don't think if OSU were to have lost to Oklahoma that day (a team that in many minds was supposed to beat OSU), it would be discussed much, if at all. But they lost to a team that was inferior to them, so it's a hot topic. But upsets happen all the time in college football, for no reason at all.

The media has asked if the crash impacted the game. That's a fair question. But it's not the same as implying/saying OSU lost because they were so deeply affected by it, with absolutely nothing to base that on.

No one, no one, is saying that's why OSU lost. Some are implying that it had an effect, and as you said, it's a fair question.

This is like saying the Big 10 can only be good if Michigan and Ohio State are winning.. Not buying your argument.

i'm sure this has been already replied to, but generally sports teams are tight. when i was at school at iowa - the teams would routinely hang out and/or socialize and/or party together, etc. very strong fraternity/sorority of student athletes. for example - i went to several parties consisting of mainly baseball team together with field hockey team.

certainly the coaching staffs are the same way - perhaps even tighter.

to say this crash and deaths would have no effect is off base at best.

yeah, I remember when I was in school how the Hawkeye basketball team and the wrasslers "hung out and were tight" one night in front of the Field House (bar). That was some real bonding happening, right there. :rolleyes: ;) :D

how many iowa football team members and coaching staff were tight to the physics staff that were shot that Friday afternoon? i've got an idea - and it is not the same answer as the OSU scenario.

don't be chippy, ank - you know exactly what I'm asserting

In any event... I think LSU would have absolutely destroyed OSU's "defense". Not real excited about the rematch but they got the best 2 teams, IMO.

Happened to stumble upon this thread and decided to exhume it for the holidays...Merry Christmas Hawkeye nation!

About the coaches ballots....only half of the coaches each year get to vote. Its randomly selected each year. Fittingly enough Saban, and Shaw(Stanford) had ballots this year. Gundy did not. Saban and Shaw obviously voted appropriately for their schools to benefit. The Big 12 due to only having 10 teams only got 5 votes(Briles, Rhoads, Pinkel, Stoops, Tubberville). The SEC got 6 voters.

By that regard alone, OSU lost a little representation...which isn't a huge deal, but when Bama and Stanford's coaches can decidedly vote in their favor (and Gundy could not) it shows the system is flawed just in that facet of the poll. Gary Pinkel voted OSU low(4th). All other Big 12 coaches voted OSU 2nd. Perhaps an F-you to the Big 12 on the way out? OSU beat Mizzou in Columbia mid-season by 21 and didn't have Blackmon for at least 2 qtrs, if not more. Hmmm.

As for George Wine and his ballot, he only voted Southern Miss 15th. Not a lot of love for them despite their big win. While I think Southern Miss is a real quality team, they actually had a good sized flea on their back that ultimately hurt them from perhaps sniffing the BCS with other voters. Barely beating 5-7 UCF at home and the next week losing to 3-9 UAB on the road. UAB's only other wins were vs UCF and Memphis. Impressive win over Houston in the CCG, but USM clearly had some turds in the punch bowl elsewhere. USM beats UAB and perhaps they get a BCS bid. Doesn't mater just pointing out a realy horrible loss on their resume. Doubt Wine did his research on them.

Ive never claimed the airplane crash affected OSU in the loss to ISU. My take was that ISU coming off the bye(and OSU with a short week) may have helped ISU in terms of preparation which could lead to better halftime adjustments when they had the extra week to put together a gameplan. Possible edge to ISU in the 2nd half? I don't know, just throwing it out there.

Obviously the 24-7 lead has been brought up, but I believe the extra time may have helped ISU in the 2nd half of that game. Also ISU's offense played much better in the 2nd half. Possibly affected by OSU not having the same amount of time in preparation? ISU ran 101 plays that game though. OSU d may have been getting gassed though in the 2nd half. A pick 6 by OSU gives ISU B2B possessions in 1st half. A onside kick recovered gives ISU B2B possessions in 2nd half. Some odd circumstances not typically seen in a game that lead to ISU running about 95 plays in regulation.

Just add a damn plus 1 and a lot of this BS is taken care of. Let all coaches vote in terms of ranking their conference and not making national picks...and let the computers determine what the rest of it all means from there.

Last edited:

Latest posts