Former Iowa SID George Wine is a Harris Voter. He voted Ok St 6th

At least he had the sense to vote Alabama #2.

Jim Walden voted Alabama #4 and Houston #8. WTF is wrong with him?

what was waldo's top 5? can't imagine teams he'd rank better than Alabama, given their only loss is to (i assume) his #1 and only by 3 points and a questionable call.

Why is losing an OT road game against a bowl team a "very bad loss"? Particularly one that occurred the day after a tragedy within the OSU athletic department?

After LSU, OSU is the most accomplished team this year. Most wins over top 25, over winning teams, etc.

I really wish people would stop talking about this in regards to the ISU game. You really think the football players even KNEW the women's basketball coaches? Maybe it affected them VERY slightly, but I highly doubt it had much impact on their performance.

I really wish people would stop talking about this in regards to the ISU game. You really think the football players even KNEW the women's basketball coaches? Maybe it affected them VERY slightly, but I highly doubt it had much impact on their performance.

Scenario: Lisa Bluder and an assistant die the day before Iowa played at Purdue. The SID and assistant SID that normally travel with the football team have to return to IC to help with the tragedy. Football players trade texts with other athletes (who all hang out together), particularly women bball players, discussing what happened. Newspaper guys who are in Lafayette covering the game are talking about it, asking players about it, fans at Hawkeye Huddle are talking about it, etc.

You think this has no impact on the players? Its not a huge deal, but it does cast a pall over the weekend.

Scenario: Lisa Bluder and an assistant die the day before Iowa played at Purdue. The SID and assistant SID that normally travel with the football team have to return to IC to help with the tragedy. Football players trade texts with other athletes (who all hang out together), particularly women bball players, discussing what happened. Newspaper guys who are in Lafayette covering the game are talking about it, asking players about it, fans at Hawkeye Huddle are talking about it, etc.

You think this has no impact on the players? Its not a huge deal, but it does cast a pall over the weekend.

Chad

Umm...history lesson time.
Go google "gang lu" and then let us know how the Hawkeye football squad performed following that heinous incident.

Go google "gang lu" and then let us know how the Hawkeye football squad performed following that heinous incident.

um.... ****** bag alert. One team's reaction in 1991 to one incident is not identical to another team's reaction in 2011.

It casts a pall, I agree. But it's still not someone who the players knew well, if at all. If a player's dad passes away, that casts a pall, too. But the only player that it really effects is the one whose dad died.

I'm sorry if that sounds calloused, but I don't care for people using that to downplay the win for ISU. Especially since I've not seen a whole lot of that suggestion outside of Iowa message boards. The effect that the crash had on the football team in terms of on-field performance would have been minimal, IMO.

How many of these bad votes are out there and had they voted properly would it have made a difference?

It casts a pall, I agree. But it's still not someone who the players knew well, if at all. If a player's dad passes away, that casts a pall, too. But the only player that it really effects is the one whose dad died.

I'm sorry if that sounds calloused, but I don't care for people using that to downplay the win for ISU. Especially since I've not seen a whole lot of that suggestion outside of Iowa message boards. The effect that the crash had on the football team in terms of on-field performance would have been minimal, IMO.

I completely agree with you, TM.

Everyone does not react the same to tragedy. I still think an argument can be made that it probably had some effect on them. That being said, it was still ISU. They did not go out and get the job done, and now they are paying the price for it.

A plus 1 game solves most of the problems. For example, this year LSU plays the 4th team in the BCS in the Sugar Bowl, and Oklahoma State plays Alabama in the Fiesta Bowl. The two winners play in the final game, 2 weeks later. 4 teams getting in seems a lot more equitable than two, in my opinion, and it really requires no more games.

Oklahoma State really got screwed. The same thing would have happened to Iowa in 2009 if we had gone undefeated or had one loss, instead of two losses.

i dont get why this is a big deal. there is no way that voters watch all of these games. he has iowa ties, so he likely watch the ISU game and OSU looked like crap. he probably didnt even bother to watch houston-southern miss along with dozens of other voters.

so is it really a shock or a big deal that he voted this way?

Seriously? Musberger and Herbie debated it for at least a couple minutes on the air after their game on Saturday night. Multiple people have brought it up while having the BCS Title Game debate on different sports talk shows.

Good God you spend a lot of time defending ISU on here.

edit- Just for the record I dont agree with the theory that it played a huge part in the outcome of the game since Ok State was up 24-7 at one point, but it has been pretty widely discussed outside of Iowa message boards.

A plus 1 game solves most of the problems. For example, this year LSU plays the 4th team in the BCS in the Sugar Bowl, and Oklahoma State plays Alabama in the Fiesta Bowl. The two winners play in the final game, 2 weeks later. 4 teams getting in seems a lot more equitable than two, in my opinion, and it really requires no more games.

Oklahoma State really got screwed. The same thing would have happened to Iowa in 2009 if we had gone undefeated or had one loss, instead of two losses.

A +1 would still have problems. That means Stanford (#4) would be in the picture. Another team that didnt even play for their conference championship.

Its a flawed system, but it may be the best we are going to get.

i'm sure this has been already replied to, but generally sports teams are tight. when i was at school at iowa - the teams would routinely hang out and/or socialize and/or party together, etc. very strong fraternity/sorority of student athletes. for example - i went to several parties consisting of mainly baseball team together with field hockey team.

certainly the coaching staffs are the same way - perhaps even tighter.

to say this crash and deaths would have no effect is off base at best.

how many iowa football team members and coaching staff were tight to the physics staff that were shot that Friday afternoon? i've got an idea - and it is not the same answer as the OSU scenario.

i'm sure this has been already replied to, but generally sports teams are tight. when i was at school at iowa - the teams would routinely hang out and/or socialize and/or party together, etc. very strong fraternity/sorority of student athletes. for example - i went to several parties consisting of mainly baseball team together with field hockey team.

certainly the coaching staffs are the same way - perhaps even tighter.

to say this crash and deaths would have no effect is off base at best.

The coaches are probably friendly enough. But I doubt the football PLAYERS were very close with the women's basketball coaches. And I'd bet that's how it is at most schools. The players are tight with players on other school teams, but not the coaches. Which is similar to the scenario I laid out with a player's father (WBB coaches) passing away. That player (WBB team) is directly affected, but it doesn't have a strong impact on the other players (football team).

And I didn't say NO effect, I said MINIMAL effect. Hardly the difference in the game, IMO.

Seriously? Musberger and Herbie debated it for at least a couple minutes on the air after their game on Saturday night. Multiple people have brought it up while having the BCS Title Game debate on different sports talk shows.

Good God you spend a lot of time defending ISU on here.

edit- Just for the record I dont agree with the theory that it played a huge part in the outcome of the game since Ok State was up 24-7 at one point, but it has been pretty widely discussed outside of Iowa message boards.

I didn't get to see much football this weekend (I was covering a swimming meet for the DI), so I didn't catch any of that. But regardless, I just don't buy it.

And sure, I defend ISU a lot. I actually root for them on all but a handful of calendar dates. So I actually enjoyed watching them beat OSU, and don't want to downplay that win, especially when I don't buy the reason people are suggesting anyway. If OSU had lost to K-State, Baylor or Oklahoma that weekend, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place.

I didn't get to see much football this weekend (I was covering a swimming meet for the DI), so I didn't catch any of that. But regardless, I just don't buy it.

And sure, I defend ISU a lot. I actually root for them on all but a handful of calendar dates. So I actually enjoyed watching them beat OSU, and don't want to downplay that win, especially when I don't buy the reason people are suggesting anyway. If OSU had lost to K-State, Baylor or Oklahoma that weekend, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place.

It's not downplaying ISU. It's simply commenting on something that many believe would have some effect on the football team.

If ISU wasn't the opponent, most would have the same comments.

You have no idea if the bolded part is true. Pure speculation. I would argue that it would still be mentioned in arguing for Okie State's BCS Title Game case.

Latest posts