Former Hawkeye Don Nelson Smoking Some Pot

Pot culture is so huge right now. People don't even try and hide the fact. You know when Pepsi and Budweiser are starting to invest or looking to invest in it in Canada that it's only a matter of time before it's every where here. Not that it isn't already - still, I think in Iowa its still a pretty big deal if your caught with it.

Pot culture is so huge right now. People don't even try and hide the fact. You know when Pepsi and Budweiser are starting to invest or looking to invest in it in Canada that it's only a matter of time before it's every where here. Not that it isn't already - still, I think in Iowa its still a pretty big deal if your caught with it.

To clarify for those that don't know, these companies are beginning to research and develop pot infused beverages to distribute in areas where it would be legal. Interesting times we'll live in in the not so distant future.

He doesn’t look like a typical stereotype pothead at all. Nope.

I'm amazed at how many people I know in Iowa that are still anti-pot. It's difficult for some people to break free from their brainwashing.

Nelson says he has a card for medical marijuana, which is legal in Hawaii.

“When any athlete gets old, every injury you have sustained seems to resurrect,” he told the Times. “It helps me deal with the pain without pain pills, and helps with that stress.”
The former basketball coach said he never smoked during his career. He began three or four years ago — in part because of Nelson, the 85-year-old musician and outspoken marijuana legalization advocate.

“Willie got me smoking,” Nelson, the former coach, said.

“I didn’t think I’d ever be a pot smoker, but hanging out with Willie and Woody and guys like that, you know, everybody smokes in those games,” he continued. “It just became kind of natural. Usually you’re smoking with your friends, sitting around, telling stories, you smoke a bowl. It’s not that I smoke all the time. I usually just smoke at night during poker games. Like Willie told me, it’s hard to be depressed when you’re smoking pot.”

Nelson said he now prefers marijuana to alcohol because it has no hangover aftereffects; he grows it on his farm (along with flowers and coffee) for personal use. And much like he did with NBA offenses, Nelson has even created his own self-styled strain of weed.

“It’s called Nellie Kush,” he said. “It’s O.G. and Hindu Kush. Hindu Kush is really good. It comes from India and the guy that brought it over mixed the two of them, so we’ve got Nellie Kush now.”

I'm amazed at how many people I know in Iowa that are still anti-pot. It's difficult for some people to break free from their brainwashing.

Agreed. Whether you're cracking open a bottle of Captain Morgan or blazing one up - it's all just a matter of method for how you wanna get your buzz. One is glorified, one still has a negative stigma. One is legal, one isn't. Seems silly to me, but I don't get to write the laws.

Agreed. Whether you're cracking open a bottle of Captain Morgan or blazing one up - it's all just a matter of method for how you wanna get your buzz. One is glorified, one still has a negative stigma. One is legal, one isn't. Seems silly to me, but I don't get to write the laws.

Yep, it kind of amazes me that it hasn't been legalized everywhere yet and taxed the heck out of. Studies have been around for years proving that it's no worse than and actually not as bad for the body as alcohol can be. For whatever reason it just has the public image as being a negative substance because of its legality and association with the violence of gangs/cartels etc.

Yep, it kind of amazes me that it hasn't been legalized everywhere yet and taxed the heck out of. Studies have been around for years proving that it's no worse than and actually not as bad for the body as alcohol can be. For whatever reason it just has the public image as being a negative substance because of its legality and association with the violence of gangs/cartels etc.

Yup. I've also never personally seen someone smoke a bowl and turn violent. Seems to have the opposite effect. I can't say the same for alcohol.. Particularly the hard stuff. I've seen happy drunks too, but for some people, it's instant asshole in a bottle. I've seen my share of alcohol-induced incidents.

On the flip side, going out for dinner Friday nights and having some drinks seems to be the thing to do, and every bar/restaurant I've ever been to will basically keep bringing you as many drinks as you want.. Then you pay your bill and you're outta there - by all means, get behind the wheel. What's wrong with that picture?

Not that I'd recommend smoking and driving, either, but I'd bet even money there are more than a few people leaving restaurants technically over the legal limit. "Buzzed driving is drunk driving"... And I'm betting they don't all have designated drivers.

It's nuts, it's basically like a wonder drug medically and it's being shut down by big pharmaceutical companies because it's used as a pain killer that is safe, cheap and non addictive like Oxy or other shit. It helps cancer patients. It get's you high. You can make fucking clothes and tires and fucking cars from it. You can literally grow it in your back yard easily (it's a weed after all) and it's way less dangerous then cigs and booze -

our country is kind of fucked up like that but you wonder how smarter people can't take a step back and look at things. The fact that you still see jail time in the state of Iowa for over an ounce of weed means Iowa is even slower then most states at decriminalizing it. Hell, in Nebraska where I think it will be one of the last states to legalize it, they at least made it so if you have it and get caught, it's basically a small misdemeanor and fine. You aren't getting hauled off to jail at least and honestly, it bothers me they are more advanced in that regards then Iowa considering Iowa is a much more forward thinking and progressive state.

I have zero problem with weed, I just wish that I could stand it enough to have tried it once to see what it's all about. I instantly get sick to my stomach when I smell it. Seriously.

And it's getting worse the older I get, to the point that going to concerts now my stomach just rolls when I get even a small hint of it in the air. It's got to be one of those genetic things where some people can't stand the taste of cilantro and others love it, but pot just smells so horrifically bad to me I can't even put it in words.

I know people are going to chime in with the edibles, but my employer has our hospital's occ health dept do randoms 6 times a year and they guarantee that everyone (owners, office and plant) gets 2 out of those 6. They also do a cheek swab for alcohol.

So no trying it for me. I like my job, my paycheck, and the people I work with. Maybe when I retire.

I have zero problem with weed, I just wish that I could stand it enough to have tried it once to see what it's all about. I instantly get sick to my stomach when I smell it. Seriously.

And it's getting worse the older I get, to the point that going to concerts now my stomach just rolls when I get even a small hint of it in the air. It's got to be one of those genetic things where some people can't stand the taste of cilantro and others love it, but pot just smells so horrifically bad to me I can't even put it in words.

I know people are going to chime in with the edibles, but my employer has our hospital's occ health dept do randoms 6 times a year and they guarantee that everyone (owners, office and plant) gets 2 out of those 6. They also do a cheek swab for alcohol.

So no trying it for me. I like my job, my paycheck, and the people I work with. Maybe when I retire.
Damn! Are the butthole searches optional then?

It's nuts, it's basically like a wonder drug medically and it's being shut down by big pharmaceutical companies because it's used as a pain killer that is safe, cheap and non addictive like Oxy or other shit. It helps cancer patients. It get's you high. You can make fucking clothes and tires and fucking cars from it. You can literally grow it in your back yard easily (it's a weed after all) and it's way less dangerous then cigs and booze -

our country is kind of fucked up like that but you wonder how smarter people can't take a step back and look at things. The fact that you still see jail time in the state of Iowa for over an ounce of weed means Iowa is even slower then most states at decriminalizing it. Hell, in Nebraska where I think it will be one of the last states to legalize it, they at least made it so if you have it and get caught, it's basically a small misdemeanor and fine. You aren't getting hauled off to jail at least and honestly, it bothers me they are more advanced in that regards then Iowa considering Iowa is a much more forward thinking and progressive state.

Yeah, I've often suspected this is the real reason it's met with so much resistance. They don't want people self-medicating: we're talking big business here. Lots of dollars at stake! The money pharmaceutical companies make, they can probably pay all the lawsuits and still be making money hand over fist.

Hell, they practically own television. You can't turn on the tele without hearing about someone's moderate-to-severe "whatever" and how you should ask your doctor.