For those wanting to lay it all on JVB

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
This offense is much different in ways that do not show up on TV. they have gone to a read and react passing game. There is more responsibility on presnap reads by not just the QB, but WR...and they run routes based off the defender...and the QB and WR have to be on same page..

When I heard them talking about this at media day, it scared the crap out of me. you saw it today, JVB didn't have much confidence in the WR's, early TE targets...then Iowa wasn't scoring and NIU just released the hounds and the inexperienced tackles didn't deal with it well.

Let's let things play out a bit.

This offense is much different in ways that do not show up on TV. they have gone to a read and react passing game. There is more responsibility on presnap reads by not just the QB, but WR...and they run routes based off the defender...and the QB and WR have to be on same page..

When I heard them talking about this at media day, it scared the crap out of me. you saw it today, JVB didn't have much confidence in the WR's, early TE targets...then Iowa wasn't scoring and NIU just released the hounds and the inexperienced tackles didn't deal with it well.

Jon, he made some not-so-good throws. He still seems to "miss" the rush.

That said, I'm pretty sure some of this will get cleaned up. I'm just not sure it will happend before next Saturday.

Except when they release the hounds, there are more bodies than young tackles can account for....in theory someonene should have a ball going their way soon.

If this is fixed, things will get markedly better

Jon: Some guys can have all the tools, except the ability to slow the game down. This seems to be Vandy's issue.

If this was the first time we saw it, it would be one thing. But it has been exactly the same for three years. There are ways you can minimize the negative impact of this tendency, but you can't coach a cool head. You either have the trait or you don't.

That being said, I just didn't get all the talk about the OLINE. There are just too many really green players on that line.

I'm pretty upset with the play selection to be honest. This dink and dunk stuff isn't going to work. Plus the line was terrible in pass protection.

The lack of offense isn't on Vandy. It's on the Ferentz because I promise you this is not the offense of Greg Davis.

Ferentz needs to let this offense go and 100% turn it over to Davis. Today was utterly terrible and I am not laying blame on Vandy.

I'm pretty upset with the play selection to be honest. This dink and dunk stuff isn't going to work. Plus the line was terrible in pass protection.

The lack of offense isn't on Vandy. It's on the Ferentz because I promise you this is not the offense of Greg Davis.

Ferentz needs to let this offense go and 100% turn it over to Davis. Today was utterly terrible and I am not laying blame on Vandy.

This is GDs offense....this is exactly what Texas fans told us to expect. Horizontal passing, dink and dunk, not enough chances down the field. Expect more of the same moving foward which is too bad...

i think the QB can help the receivers and OL with #1 a better fake handoff (even when it is a handoff). #2 looking off the primary target. #3 1 frckn pump fake the whole game - i don't mean a double pump to the same guy!

I think Iowa exposed NIU for their future opposition. We know nothing of Iowa, except that JVB has digressed.

It was windy and the line didn't give him much protection however; even if the short passing game is the way of the new offense Vandy still didn't make those throws. He was overthrowing some 5 yrd passes and bounced a pass to the WR behind the line of scrimmage with no pressure. He also seems to get scared when he's pressured and rather than step up into the pocket and make a throw he often just accepts the sack. I don't lay it all on him but he has alot of work to do. Next week will be even more difficult.

It's way too early to condemn Davis, Vandy,, the receivers, the O line.... etc etc..

The timing was WAAAAY off in the passing game. Expected for the first game. This defense is WAAAY better than the average MAC defense. AT least 5 or 6 Ds Iowa faces this year will NOT be as good... maybe more.

Everyone really needs to sit back... review some more film... some more film and then have a clue to how Iowa will finish this year... on both sides of the ball and along with special teams.

when the qb and wr are on the same page we will see plays like jvb to kd on the quick hitch where he made a guy miss. but niu stopped attacking from where kd was because he made the correct read. if the wr doesnt read the coverage but jvb does then he has to hold the ball because he doesnt have anyone open. it is amazing how little some know about the intricacies of qb. jvb didnt play great but the outside of kd and kmm at the end the wrs didnt do a good job of reading the openings and so jvb had small windows and had to stay really short. the flaw i see in jvb is he is too flat footed in his drop (especially in the shotgun). he actually tends to make better reads from under center contrary to what some think. weird how people get enamored with one shotgun performance and think that is by far his best ability. part of a horizontal passing attack is the wrs making 1 guy miss...outside of kd that didnt happen today. this will take time for the wrs to learn to read.

After reviewing the game tape, opposing teams will be bringing a lot of blitz at Iowa all year. And most of them will execute as well or better than NIU.

I would think Iowa will be running a lot of drills for screen plays and QB draws.

JVB looks heavier and less mobile this year.

The receivers have to have speed for that to work...they dont and GD has said so on a number of occasions...
Then this offense won't work because Davis ran a read option at Texas with a quick passing game.

actually he ran multiple offenses.
1) pro-style, west coast - major applewhite
2) read option - vince young
3) combination of west coast spread and read option - colt mccoy

and his wrs at texas werent incredibly fast either (shipley ran like a 4.5 40). our wrs just need to get used to the offense so they can play faster and stop thinking so much.

when the qb and wr are on the same page we will see plays like jvb to kd on the quick hitch where he made a guy miss. but niu stopped attacking from where kd was because he made the correct read. if the wr doesnt read the coverage but jvb does then he has to hold the ball because he doesnt have anyone open. it is amazing how little some know about the intricacies of qb. jvb didnt play great but the outside of kd and kmm at the end the wrs didnt do a good job of reading the openings and so jvb had small windows and had to stay really short. the flaw i see in jvb is he is too flat footed in his drop (especially in the shotgun). he actually tends to make better reads from under center contrary to what some think. weird how people get enamored with one shotgun performance and think that is by far his best ability. part of a horizontal passing attack is the wrs making 1 guy miss...outside of kd that didnt happen today. this will take time for the wrs to learn to read.

No offense dude... but learn the "intricacies" of grammar and punctuation. I gave up reading this half way in.

I'm not laying it all on JVB - but I saw him making the same mistakes last year in a different offense.

He just panics and his mind moves way too fast.

The thing I'm worried about is his pocket presence. I'm not sure if a QB can learn that or is born with it.

It's concerning. If he doesn't play better on the road than this it will be a rough year.

Last edited:
There's a difference between dink and dunk, and throwing 1 pass attempt longer than 7 yards down field. The latter is absurd, especially on a day when Tmart and Jantz threw for almost 200 apiece in the first half alone of their games.

Last edited:
It's way too early to condemn Davis, Vandy,, the receivers, the O line.... etc etc..

The timing was WAAAAY off in the passing game. Expected for the first game. This defense is WAAAY better than the average MAC defense. AT least 5 or 6 Ds Iowa faces this year will NOT be as good... maybe more.

Everyone really needs to sit back... review some more film... some more film and then have a clue to how Iowa will finish this year... on both sides of the ball and along with special teams.

No - some of us see that the current QB should: #1 a better fake handoff (even when it is a handoff). #2 looking off the primary target. #3 1 frckn pump fake the whole game - i don't mean a double pump to the same guy!

sitting back watching the same disaster every week - hoping the ST can bail it out is not good! QB needs to wake up and play football first, and not QB first!

Latest posts