for those obsessed with the notion that were not in the NCAA

There's a big difference between this recent expansion, and the expansions to 16, 32, 48, etc. When those older expansions were made, nearly EVERY team played in the first round. Only and handful of teams played in play-in games, and everybody had the common sense to call those games what they were. Today, the NCAA wants to call those play-in games the first round while the other 60 teams get a bye to the second round.

Calling these games the first round is simply the NCAA putting lipstick on a pig in an effort to drive ratings.

So those 1 seeds vs 16 seed is a more legitimate game then Ten vs Iowa? just because its in this all godly protected "first round" you speak off. C'mon now.

You are really arguing that the sky is blue. The NCAA would rather have 128 teams (that way you could have your cosmically important all inclusive "1st round) but they haven't been able to make it happen yet... but it will.

So when you have a number that doesn't fit perfectly you have to fit all the teams in.

Always thought you were smarter than to take up an silly argument.

Call it what you want... but ask last nights teams:

"After the NCAA-mandated 10 minutes to cool off, the locker room was opened to the media. To me. The players inside had no idea what they were missing, but they were missing a flood of TV cameras and microphones. They were missing a locker room so full of reporters that there's no room for the players, so they break away to the steamy shower just to breathe. They were missing what will await the other No. 16 seeds in the real NCAA Tournament.

The NCAA prefers that we don't call what happened Tuesday night a play-in game, and I prefer you don't call me bald. It's possible I am bald, but do me the courtesy of not noticing.

Even Albany's coach and players have been calling this thing a play-in game since Sunday night, when they gathered to watch the selection show and watched their name come up for ... this. The team wasn't clapping or hooting. The team was stunned, and trying to recover."

First Four: A play-in game, and insult - CBSSports.com

But when Albany get's beat 100-35 like every other 16 seed ... now that's a legitimate and meaningful game.

Also once they get destroyed in their next game they will be touting to recruits and fans, ect how they "won" an NCAA tournament game.

Last edited:
We're in the tournament... barely. This is a crappy spot to be in and I hope Fran's team don't make this a habit. But we're in. Win here and win against Umass and I'd almost think of it as a 2 for 1 special. Those 16 seeds are one and done and we'll have gotten to watch 2 games.

Albany offically won their first NCAA tournament game last night....So it is official but there should be an asterik by it.

By definition they are in the NCAA tournament.

If they aren't in the NCAA tournament, what game are they playing in tonight?

This discussion is asinine.

But when Albany get's beat 100-35 like every other 16 seed ... now that's a legitimate and meaningful game.

Also once they get destroyed in their next game they will be touting to recruits and fans, ect how they "won" an NCAA tournament game.

What about the 16 seed that loses the 16/16 game? Do they want to get bounced from the "NCAA Tournament" by another 16 seed, or get the opportunity to play one of the best teams in the country and a shot at taking down a 1 seed, even if they get blown out?

I'm willing to bet that, this morning, Mt. St. Mary's is feeling more like they lost a play-in game rather than an NCAA game. Who did they want the opportunity to play: Albany or Florida?

Damn the committee for sticking us in the "First Four".

We're in the tournament... barely. This is a crappy spot to be in and I hope Fran's team don't make this a habit. But we're in. Win here and win against Umass and I'd almost think of it as a 2 for 1 special. Those 16 seeds are one and done and we'll have gotten to watch 2 games.

I really don't think it is a crappy position given how many teams playing in this round have advanced to the round of 32 and beyond. VCU did everyone a favor and busted brackets by going to the Final Four when most said they were a joke and didn't deserve the bid because some Major conference team deserved it.

I've filled out many tournament brackets and not 1 had me pick a Iowa/Tenn winner. Iowa is not in the tournament unless they win tonight.

Yeah, I have always thought gambling tournament brackets were the official source for determination of who is in the NCAA and who is not.

Albany offically won their first NCAA tournament game last night....So it is official but there should be an asterik by it.

Tell VCU they should have an asterisk by their Final Four appearance. Better yet, they should be forced to vacate it.

If you can still turn in your NCAA bracket until Thursday morning, the tournament really doesn't start until Thursday late morning.

No, because they won their play in game and four more games on top of that.

Agreed. In my opinion whether the play in game is/isn't part of the tournament, once that game is over, the winner has proved themselves by punching their ticket. no asterix needed as they're just as much a part of the dance as anyone else.

The issue needs to be how the loser of a play in game is viewed and whether they get the asterix or not. The winner proved their worth.

What about the 16 seed that loses the 16/16 game? Do they want to get bounced from the "NCAA Tournament" by another 16 seed, or get the opportunity to play one of the best teams in the country and a shot at taking down a 1 seed, even if they get blown out?

I'm willing to bet that, this morning, Mt. St. Mary's is feeling more like they lost a play-in game rather than an NCAA game. Who did they want the opportunity to play: Albany or Florida?

Damn the committee for sticking us in the "First Four".

No they will say for as long as their university exists that they qualified for the NCAA tournament.

No, because they won their play in game and four more games on top of that.

So does the team that lost to them not need an asterisk because VCU went to the Final Four? I am super confused by all the stipulations that determine weather or not Iowa in an NCAA team win or lose. Actually, in the first round games each team should be confident they can win as the teams are supposed to be similar on playing levels, just like NCSt. and Xavier last night. Help me further understand what doesn't classify Iowa as an NCAA tournament team since they have the same chance as the other 67 teams to win the whole thing, win X amount of games and you are champs????? Granted talent and all that other stuff can help your chances, but in the end all 68 teams can win, so how is that not being in the tournament again????

So does the team that lost to them not need an asterisk because VCU went to the Final Four? I am super confused by all the stipulations that determine weather or not Iowa in an NCAA team win or lose. Actually, in the first round games each team should be confident they can win as the teams are supposed to be similar on playing levels, just like NCSt. and Xavier last night. Help me further understand what doesn't classify Iowa as an NCAA tournament team since they have the same chance as the other 67 teams to win the whole thing, win X amount of games and you are champs????? Granted talent and all that other stuff can help your chances, but in the end all 68 teams can win, so how is that not being in the tournament again????

Yeah this argument is hilarious... there is no argument.

Latest posts