for those obsessed with the notion that were not in the NCAA

They was saying on CBS that most people doesn't consider these play in games as tournament gms.

Has anyone actually said we aren't in and supported that argument using factual evidence? No. We all know the team is technically in. Whether or not it's technically true has never been the point.

Man I would support you if the facts tell me teams in these 1st round games ALL lose in the 2nd round. The facts tell me otherwise, if you think a win validates they are in, that is your deal.

Man I would support you if the facts tell me teams in these 1st round games ALL lose in the 2nd round. The facts tell me otherwise, if you think a win validates they are in, that is your deal.

What does it matter if the First Four teams win or lose in the round of 64? Obviously, some of them win (even win several games). But at least some of those teams over the last few years, if there had been no First Four, would have gotten the seed they won, anyway. If there was no First Four, Iowa or Tennessee would have been placed in the 11-seed spot while the other would either be slotted somewhere else or just watching from the couch.

IMO, winning a First Four game validates that you're in the tournament. What you do after that is irrelevant.

What does it matter if the First Four teams win or lose in the round of 64? Obviously, some of them win (even win several games). But at least some of those teams over the last few years, if there had been no First Four, would have gotten the seed they won, anyway. If there was no First Four, Iowa or Tennessee would have been placed in the 11-seed spot while the other would either be slotted somewhere else or just watching from the couch.

IMO, winning a First Four game validates that you're in the tournament. What you do after that is irrelevant.

Why? Wouldn't it have been the two 12 seeds who were in the play-in game last night that would have been out of the tournament?

This post is so sad. Luckily none of us at Hawkeyenation have that problem. I'm sure we're all as big as our egos.

Ive been waiting for someone to catch that comment. I thought it was an example that a few of our posters that just want to troll might have 1st hand experience with.

This might blow your mind, but if Iowa wins tonight, they won't magically appear on your bracket.

Here's the part that doesn't sit well with me: Fran gets a mega-bucks bonus, but I don't even have the opportunity to pick Iowa in my brackets!

Tournament history:

The NCAA tournament has expanded a number of times throughout its history. This is a breakdown of the history of the tournament formats: 1939–1950: 8 teams
1951–1952: 16 teams
1953–1974: varied between 22 and 25 teams
1975–1978: 32 teams
1979: 40 teams
1980–1982: 48 teams
1983: 52 teams (four play-in games before the tournament)
1984: 53 teams (five play-in games before the tournament)
1985–2000: 64 teams
2001–2010: 65 teams (with an opening round game to determine whether the 64th or 65th team plays in the first round)
2011–present: 68 teams (four games in the first round before all remaining teams compete in the second round)

After the conclusion of the 2010 tournament, there was much speculation about increasing the tournament size to as many as 128 teams. On April 1, 2010, the NCAA announced that it was looking at expanding to 96 teams for 2011. On April 22, 2010, the NCAA announced a new television contract with CBS/Turner that would expand the field, but only to 68 teams

SO HEY any team that wasn't in the first 8 isn't in the NCAA tournament... because that's the way it was in 1939

The other 56 teams are just "play in"games.

So when they add 120 teams some day none of those will count either only 64...

Were in the NCAA tournament get over this childish meaningless number...
Suck on this all you butthurt that Iowa is NOT in the tournament. Halftime announcer at the Iowa/TN game just said and I quote,
"TOMORROW the madness begins" Guess that pretty much sums it up. Lock thread.

Suck on this all you butthurt that Iowa is NOT in the tournament. Halftime announcer at the Iowa/TN game just said and I quote,
"TOMORROW the madness begins" Guess that pretty much sums it up. Lock thread.

well...looks like we are done here. nothing else to see...move along folks.

Latest posts