For the Vandenberg Bashers

I am a big Stanzi supporter
but i am now going to defend JVB
Stanzi had one weapon at his disposal that JVB didn't, and that was a TE
Stanzi used his TE as a security blanket
next season with CJF emerging as the top target at TE will help him out a lot
the biggest thing is how much will JVB utilize him and when, a 6'7 250 lb TE is a huge weapon on 3rd down or in the red zone
on the surface the stats are a pretty good indication of his skills. but the thing he really lacks, are the intangeble things like field awareness and leadership , meaning he has to have both the respect and confidence of his teammates that he is going to get the job done, this is what seperates him from Stanzi

Stats don't even come close to telling the story on JVB.

JVB has good physical tools and often does nice things.

But his level of play drops off by a considerable amount when he's not comfortable, like when playing on the road or facing pressure in the pocket.

His poise in these situations needs to develop quite a bit more in order for the offense not to wilt like it did so many times this year.

It would also help quite a bit to have plays called that are actually designed to get your best players the ball in space.

The bottom line is that JVB's "pocket presence" needs to improve greatly. I really really want him to be good Jon, but this is what causes him to miss WR's, run into sacks, rush his throws, and check down when not needed. It's worse on the road, and he seems to react to the crowd getting louder when the rush is on, even if the rusher isn't near. He needs to look around more side to side, instead of just straight ahead all of the time.

I am a big Stanzi supporter
but i am now going to defend JVB
Stanzi had one weapon at his disposal that JVB didn't, and that was a TE
Stanzi used his TE as a security blanket
next season with CJF emerging as the top target at TE will help him out a lot
the biggest thing is how much will JVB utilize him and when, a 6'7 250 lb TE is a huge weapon on 3rd down or in the red zone
on the surface the stats are a pretty good indication of his skills. but the thing he really lacks, are the intangeble things like field awareness and leadership , meaning he has to have both the respect and confidence of his teammates that he is going to get the job done, this is what seperates him from Stanzi

Um, why hasn't this miraculous CJF ALREADY emerged? Has his transition to butterfly not yet occurred?

Or is he not living up to expectations? If he was accustomed to catching as a TE in HS, why's he have to learn how to catch now?

He should already know how to block. They sort of start praticing that in Jr. high.

He should already know how to block. They sort of start praticing that in Jr. high.

Pretty sure CJ's high school system often had him split out wide to take advantage of the huge mismatch he would create. Hence he would have the blocking fundamentals of a high school WR before getting to Iowa. It was pretty widely known that CJ's blocking game would be a project once he got here. Keep trollin though doosh.

Cool, so it's useless. We're on the same page now.

Be ignorant about it if you want. I am all for using statistical analysis, but I am also wise enough to see the value in factoring a QB's ability to win into the equation.

Pretty sure CJ's high school system often had him split out wide to take advantage of the huge mismatch he would create. Hence he would have the blocking fundamentals of a high school WR before getting to Iowa. It was pretty widely known that CJ's blocking game would be a project once he got here. Keep trollin though doosh.

Then folks should probably not have tried to sell him like he was some great get or recruiting coup.

He'll maybe finish as an average Iowa TE. Maybe.

Have to agree with Jon on this one. 25-5 is a great stat. If he can clean up what ailed him this year. "Lack of Pocket prescence" and such he will be an all time great. Unfortunatley the things he seem to struggle with are innate, like you have them or you don't. I will take hime over Stanzi anyday though. Do not forget the kind of running games and defenses Stanzi had going for him. I cannot count on one had the number of poor decisions Stanzi made, when we had leads, that cost us games. Remember Northwestern last year we are leading going in for a score and he takes a chance on a deep ball. Extremely poor decision there. If Vandy improves like Stanzi did from Junior to Senior year we will have THE BEST qb in the country hands down. I do worry though what the loss of McNutt will mean, but after his last 2 games at Iowa, I feel like I have already seen it.Vandy will NOT be our problem next year.

CJF has all the tools to be the next Great TE, his blocking was a big issue coming in
his Freshmen and Sophamore years were used to teach him how to block as well as the blocking schemes
in my opinion he should have Red Shirted to learn but he didn't
but he is going to be a Junior and he showed up the last game and showed his ability
I am glad we have him for 2 more years

dropped balls this season really hurt. this evening was a microcosm of such for this season. Vandy put at least 4 balls on hands that were dropped. In a game like this, all hurt.

i'm certain that pickoff was on McNutt, not Vandy. But who knows.

The interception was definitely on Mcnutt, he reaches his arm out, the ball gets knocked down, he was stopped, had time to look at where the ball was going, gave up on it, it was picked less than a foot away from him, that's on him.

JVB is a top level qb, was inconsistent on the road and struggled in the first half of the bowl game. He was ridiculously good in the second half. He made some throws that just had you going- "WHAT THE BILLY!"

It is difficult for a qb to build consistency when "the best receiving core ever at iowa", "the best wide receiver in school history", and "the best set of 3 wide receivers in school history" also drop the ball more than any group in team history. For all Marvins qualities he dropped a ridiculous amount of balls this year. What sucks most is they seemed to always be on the first and second drive of the game and the last drive of the game (ya know when you're trying to build something). Keenan Davis as talented as he is dropped by my count 8 balls the other night during the ball game.

I know that I count "drops" differently then the actual statistic. I consider a drop anytime a ball hits both of your hands without a defender draped on you in the field of play. This group consistently dropped huge amounts this season. In everyone of our losses if you go back and watch, its drop, after drop, after drop, after drop.

The nebraska game mcnutt dropped the ball twice on the opening drive of the game. Keenan dropped the ball consistently in the bowl game and all three of them dropped the ball consistently all year long. Kind of hard to build consistency as a qb that way. I'm fine with anyone bashing some of the throws jvb made in the first half of the bowl game. ANybody who complains about his throws the second half didn't watch the game, clearly.

I am not a fan of Vandy and really hope the JUCO transfer or Jake get a real shot this spring. Vandy cannot read a blitz, does not step up into the pocket of a pro style offense which is how it is blocked, instead he runs around the tackle and right into a sack, once his primary receiver is covered he panics and can't find anyone, he has poor awareness and McNutt padded his stats. Next man in PLEASE..

I am not a fan of Vandy and really hope the JUCO transfer or Jake get a real shot this spring. Vandy cannot read a blitz, does not step up into the pocket of a pro style offense which is how it is blocked, instead he runs around the tackle and right into a sack, once his primary receiver is covered he panics and can't find anyone, he has poor awareness and McNutt padded his stats. Next man in PLEASE..

I agree with one statement you made. He cannot read a CORNER OR SAFETY blitz.

Latest posts