For the Vandenberg Bashers

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I realize he was not up to snuff on the road the his year, and he has to improve on his consistency.

But he threw for over 3000 yards this year, the 4th highest total in a single season in Iowa history...25 touchdowns to 6 interceptions.

The kid has ability...top shelf ability. He just wasn't consistent..and he also had a lot of dropped balls this year. He needs to calm down a bit more on the road.

He has the skill..there is no doubt about that. Now, he has a season of starting under his belt.

Some are acting like he is the second coming of Jake Christensen, which is just not the case.

dropped balls this season really hurt. this evening was a microcosm of such for this season. Vandy put at least 4 balls on hands that were dropped. In a game like this, all hurt.

i'm certain that pickoff was on McNutt, not Vandy. But who knows.

God forbid we be negative. He is not a top notch QB. Ferentz will grant him tenure through 2012, another 6-6 season, and then we can move on.

The kid has ability...top shelf ability. He just wasn't consistent..and he also had a lot of dropped balls this year. He needs to calm down a bit more on the road.

I have ability to be the poster of the year too, top shelf ability, but evidently, I wasn't good enough to get the wins, and at the end of the day that's all that matters.

JD - I know what you are saying here, but the above is a blatant contradiction.

Having the ability to do something is absolutely worthless, if you don't, you know... do it.

He's still making the same mistakes that he did early in the year. Locking onto WR's and not picking up blitzes. I don't hate Vandenberg but he needs to improve next season. He was up and down all year.

Let's also not forget arguably the best WR in Iowa history was Vandenberg's main target. It will be interesting to see how things play out next season without time. Not saying McNutt made Vandenberg, but he certainly was his main guy and when he wasn't open things did not go well.

I am hopefully Vandenberg can improve and become a very good QB as a senior. Right now his awareness needs some serious tuning. He's got the mechanics, just needs to slow the game down.

He's still making the same mistakes that he did early in the year. Locking onto WR's and not picking up blitzes. I don't hate Vandenberg but he needs to improve next season. He was up and down all year.

Let's also not forget arguably the best WR in Iowa history was Vandenberg's main target. It will be interesting to see how things play out next season without time. Not saying McNutt made Vandenberg, but he certainly was his main guy and when he wasn't open things did not go well.

I am hopefully Vandenberg can improve and become a very good QB as a senior. Right now his awareness needs some serious tuning. He's got the mechanics, just needs to slow the game down.

#6 surely didn't make Vandy this evening.

People had unrealistic expectations about him. He wasn't as good as two years of hype made him seem in some minds. That said, he's not that bad either. He's definitely serviceable.

He was really good against weaker competition, and really bad against good competition. Hopefully, we'll see more consistency next year. If not we'll surely be looking at another mediocre year.

Vandenberg was not good in the first quarter of a lot of games this season. To me that implies a problem with coaching.

I've never bashed the guy at all, but if he is the same guy on the road next year, they might as well just put JR in and look to the future.

Ryan leaf had top shelf ability

Joe Montana didn't

pure physical talent is a ways down the list of things required to be a winning qb

I realize he was not up to snuff on the road the his year, and he has to improve on his consistency.

But he threw for over 3000 yards this year, the 4th highest total in a single season in Iowa history...25 touchdowns to 6 interceptions.

He has the skill..there is no doubt about that. Now, he has a season of starting under his belt.

Some are acting like he is the second coming of Jake Christensen, which is just not the case.

You are correct that he isn't the second coming of Jake, after all JVB led Iowa to 7 wins instead of 6.

I am hopeful he will improve next year. Right now, it seems like he has very little pocket awareness, can't feel where the pressure is coming from, and gets anxious and scrambles into a defender who was being blocked.

Vandy is not JC. But, the problem is Vandy is not really the Chucks, or Rodgers either. He is probably somewhere in the middle of those guys and will have an even worse supporting class next year in his senior season.

Basically he is not a bad quarterback, but he is not a great one either. He is ok and can play good at times and bad at times as well. His play is a reflection of where Iowa is as a program right now and that is mediocre....7-6.

One thing I will say is that KOK has had success in making QB's better. Going back to Kyle McCann he has be consistent in helping QB's grow. Vandenberg is a better QB than McCann and Chandler were and they had success as seniors. Jake was exception and it will be hard top Banks and Tate. Stanzi was very solid as a senior as well.

Say what you want about some of KOK's playcalling, but he is a very good developer of QB's. His track record speaks for itself and for that I do think Vandenberg can get better.

This season was very frustrating but hopefully he can learn from it. No excuses next season.

Latest posts