For the first time since Brand's came---

The fact that Iowa has been very poor lately at pumping out successful college wrestlers makes it tough too, Cael can build a championship team just recruiting a 90 mile radius from his front step.

Agree and this is what worries me the most. Yes Cael can stay within 90 miles if he wants to but you know he will have the entire northeast pretty much on lockdown if he wants that particular kid. That part of the country is just pumping out a lot of successful wrestlers right now.

You guys talk as if Cael is just some sort of god. He got complete top notch recruiting classes full of studs at ISU too. So what if PA is loaded with talent. He only has so many spots he can fill. Kids want to wrestle at IA just as much. Top programs recruit nationwide and don't worry about where a kid comes from. Smith recruits kids from all over the place at OkSt and so do we. And there are lots of other schools getting studs too. OSU is loaded. Illinois has tons of young talent.

And I don't think Alton is going to be better than Molinaro.

sorry if this has been asked but I was watching sportscenter top 10 at the bar and think I saw an Iowa guy get taken down to lose the match. Was this St John? I'm kinda ****** two years in a row iowq was shown on the the losing end of a top ten play

Unfortunately next year is prolly PSU again. Maybe we gotta shot the next year, hard to say. No reason we cannot compete going forward, it is a big country to recruit in and Brands is a fierce competitor, even in that. Upper weights in general have been hurting us for awhile, not sure if we're just unlucky or what. Next year though, think we can get 2nd place, and close the gap to #1 some. Need a great offseason. Sure wish MM coulda got it done, felt for him after the match. Also, if there was another period at 157, maybe DSJ coulda came back, Dake was looking tired, wasn't he? DSJ has a tank man. Notice how MdD wasn't even breathing hard when interviewed - that is one conditioned wrester. Overall, they did fine considering where they are at personnel wise at the moment. Ramos shoulda wrestled last night though, darnit! Go Hawks!

Who are going to be the starters at 141, 149, and 197 next year? And what can we expect from them? Are they going to be dead weights for us or are we going to have a chance for any of these weights to qualify for NCAAs?

I realize there aren't any guarantees but this year Cael had 3 locks for champions - that's 30% of the weights - 2 of those guys are unbelievable talents. Iowa had no margin for error in this tourney and that's a tough spot to be in. We took less scorers to start with than the top 2 teams.

We get all the weights filled up with qualifiers/points scorers and we'll be fine. Brands realizes this. He was quote as saying we didn't have enough firepower after the tourney. We have a lot of young talented guys. 3 weights to fill and 2 of those have a few guys on the team capable - which leaves 197. You get all weights scoring points at nationals and you can overcome a few upsets that are bound to happen. If Brands was making excuses, then I'd be worried. He's not and for this reason I have complete confidence he'll get it figured out.

Yeah - look at Okie State. Loaded with Senior talent. Gelogaev looked unbeatable - he's done. Parks was always overrated IMO but undefeated this year... he bows out like I thought he would... he's done. Dallas Bailey is a salty senior - is he done? I'm feeling like he is. They get Oliver for one more year. Morrison is no good. Kindig is a mental mess and not great either. At 157 they are terrible. Perry is a beast but will never get over Ruth. Where are they getting better?

What place did they even finish this year? I think 4 BT teams finished ahead of them.

Wow. The amount of bad information in your post is ridiculous. I thought you knew wrestling, but you really only have a skewed view of Iowa. Gelogaev is a Junior. He will be the #1 at that weight next year. Bailey is a Sophomore. He was in the same super class as Perry and Rosholt, who is just as good as Byers, and will see no drop off. Kindig also a Sophomore.

I look at Iowa, and they have the same problems. Ramos is looking to be second fiddle for the one year he is not also behind Oliver. Evans is showing nothing, and Iowa is starting over everywhere else. Telford will never be the top heavy, even in the Big 10. There is a reason McMullan was higher ranked in recruiting, and it showed yesterday in his third place match. That kid does everything you want your heavy to do.

Get off the defensive and get some facts. Cael has alot of good young guys, and it is going to be rough. Then OSU looks poised to take over, and Iowa needs to try and keep pace with them.

Yeah - look at Okie State. Loaded with Senior talent. Gelogaev looked unbeatable - he's done. Parks was always overrated IMO but undefeated this year... he bows out like I thought he would... he's done. Dallas Bailey is a salty senior - is he done? I'm feeling like he is. They get Oliver for one more year. Morrison is no good. Kindig is a mental mess and not great either. At 157 they are terrible. Perry is a beast but will never get over Ruth. Where are they getting better?What place did they even finish this year? I think 4 BT teams finished ahead of them.
Wow. The amount of bad information in your post is ridiculous. I thought you knew wrestling, but you really only have a skewed view of Iowa. Gelogaev is a Junior. He will be the #1 at that weight next year. Bailey is a Sophomore. He was in the same super class as Perry and Rosholt, who is just as good as Byers, and will see no drop off. Kindig also a Sophomore.I look at Iowa, and they have the same problems. Ramos is looking to be second fiddle for the one year he is not also behind Oliver. Evans is showing nothing, and Iowa is starting over everywhere else. Telford will never be the top heavy, even in the Big 10. There is a reason McMullan was higher ranked in recruiting, and it showed yesterday in his third place match. That kid does everything you want your heavy to do. Get off the defensive and get some facts. Cael has alot of good young guys, and it is going to be rough. Then OSU looks poised to take over, and Iowa needs to try and keep pace with them.
Brett your post is more skewed than ICAlumnais is. First off, yeah Mike Evans had a bad tourney, but to say he has shown nothing is absolutely stupid. Also Telford got 5th this year and McMullan got 3rd. not a big drop off. Telford beat McMullan this year also. And Ramos is 1-0 against Oliver. He is second fiddle to only Logan at this point. And Ramos is closing the gap on Logan as we speak! How about YOU get your facts straight Brett. What are you a Okie State ball hugger or something? Geez man Keep in mind your calling out 2 redshirt freshman and a RSsophmore

Looks like Caels team is more aggressive and in better condition than his teams at ISU. On the flip side, some of our guys have gotten less aggressive. Recipe to beat our guys seems to be score early, and hold on.
That said, if we get a solid lineup across board, we will be right there

Iowa has the #1 recruiting class this year

What do you personally think about the 141-49 classes for next year? Ballwegs,Carew,Kelly, the 2 time iron man recruit,Moore. I know we should be young but i feel confident with what we have in the room next season

Wow. The amount of bad information in your post is ridiculous. I thought you knew wrestling, but you really only have a skewed view of Iowa. Gelogaev is a Junior. He will be the #1 at that weight next year. Bailey is a Sophomore. He was in the same super class as Perry and Rosholt, who is just as good as Byers, and will see no drop off. Kindig also a Sophomore.

I look at Iowa, and they have the same problems. Ramos is looking to be second fiddle for the one year he is not also behind Oliver. Evans is showing nothing, and Iowa is starting over everywhere else. Telford will never be the top heavy, even in the Big 10. There is a reason McMullan was higher ranked in recruiting, and it showed yesterday in his third place match. That kid does everything you want your heavy to do.

Get off the defensive and get some facts. Cael has alot of good young guys, and it is going to be rough. Then OSU looks poised to take over, and Iowa needs to try and keep pace with them.

Ok, I missed two things. You're right. I screwed the pooch on the Russian - i thought he was a senior... i was sure of it. He won't be the #1 next year... Nelson will and deservedly so. Bailey sucks so who cares if he's a sophomore or senior? My point is still the same... Okie State is a mess. Stick to the point i'm trying to make which is that Okie State is really heading the wrong direction and quit nit-picking my years. I do know a lot about wrestling. You are a cyclone that trolls our forums and says that McDonough doesn't attack. That alone makes you a moron.

Go back to the Cyclone forum.

Brett your post is more skewed than ICAlumnais is. First off, yeah Mike Evans had a bad tourney, but to say he has shown nothing is absolutely stupid. Also Telford got 5th this year and McMullan got 3rd. not a big drop off. Telford beat McMullan this year also. And Ramos is 1-0 against Oliver. He is second fiddle to only Logan at this point. And Ramos is closing the gap on Logan as we speak! How about YOU get your facts straight Brett. What are you a Okie State ball hugger or something? Geez man Keep in mind your calling out 2 redshirt freshman and a RSsophmore

+1