For NCAA to survive, it can't give Miami death penalty

I don't think the NCAA is going to be relevant in 10 years regardless of what they do with Miami now.

The B10, SEC, Pac12, & ACC are going to leave and form their own organization. Maybe even have a playoff. IMO its not a matter of if, its a matter of when.

Agreed. The NCAA has largely made itself irrelevant.

(BTW, welcome back 0044! Venturing over to P&C anytime soon? Those of us who have a brain need help battling the godless Left ...)

I'm quickly starting to believe that institutions of higher learning would be better served by getting out of athletics completely.

I don't think the NCAA is going to be relevant in 10 years regardless of what they do with Miami now.

The B10, SEC, Pac12, & ACC are going to leave and form their own organization. Maybe even have a playoff. IMO its not a matter of if, its a matter of when.

Disagree, because the presidents don't want that. Both you and Doyel make the mistake of thinking of the NCAA as an organization separate from its component schools.

It isn't like Miami has been a powerhouse the last so many yrs. They were in the 90's but I don't view them as a powerhouse now, at least not like they were. I think the NCAA would survive it they hit them hard. They should get hit hard. These are such blatent infractions it's rediculous. Coaches & the AD not only were aware of it, they partook in it. Some team needs to be made an example to stop this crap.

If the NCAA doesn't come down pretty hard in this situation, then they never will because this is about as bad as it can get with illegal benefits with the array of benefits & amount of time that it happened. It's still only in the "tip of the iceberg stages". Wait to see when the investigation really gets going.

But, he does make a valid point that this will make super BCS conference teams skittish towards the NCAA. It could push them to separate faster.

It isn't like Miami has been a powerhouse the last so many yrs. They were in the 90's but I don't view them as a powerhouse now, at least not like they were. I think the NCAA would survive it they hit them hard. They should get hit hard. These are such blatent infractions it's rediculous. Coaches & the AD not only were aware of it, they partook in it. Some team needs to be made an example to stop this crap.

If the NCAA doesn't come down pretty hard in this situation, then they never will because this is about as bad as it can get with illegal benefits with the array of benefits & amount of time that it happened. It's still only in the "tip of the iceberg stages". Wait to see when the investigation really gets going.

But, he does make a valid point that this will make super BCS conference teams skittish towards the NCAA. It could push them to separate faster.

I don't think they will get it but Miami would be the perfect school for the NCAA to make an example out of and give them the death penalty. They are a big name program but not a big school. They have a very small alumni base, very limited financial resources compared to an Ohio St or Auburn or Oregon. They have a lot of bandwagon fans who would have no influence over the decision.

I don't think they will get it but Miami would be the perfect school for the NCAA to make an example out of and give them the death penalty. They are a big name program but not a big school. They have a very small alumni base, very limited financial resources compared to an Ohio St or Auburn or Oregon. They have a lot of bandwagon fans who would have no influence over the decision.

I agree. It's always been a rogue program with a lot of thugs. No better program to make an example out of.

With all do respect to Mr. Doyel, his doomsday vision is something outta of science fiction and not reality. He cites one AD and one former AD, and their assertions that "others are talking" about it, as the basis of his suppositions. Oh sure, 64 teams in 4 conferences is all it takes to in effect hold a money-coup and go off and create their own "quasi-NCAA". Its not that simple. The NCAA holds media contracts with the CBS, ESPN and Turner and all their quasi (I love saying quasi) media forms which I am sure total BILLIONS of dollars over SEVERAL years. As long as those contracts are in play, no new "BCS Collegiate Athletic Association" is going to be able to get diddly...at least for several years, maybe decades. Advertisers are also locked into their contracts and cannot legally simply pull out on a whim. And without THAT money there is no $15-$17 million payouts to each team for each BCS bowl game, that each of the 64 schools I am sure would be expecting to follow them down their "yellow brick" road...tra-la-la-la-la.

So trust me, the NCAA has the knowledge of this and will, if the allegations are indeed PROVEN, slap the death-penalty on Miami (FL) for a year or two. SMU is not the only time it's been done. Kentucky basketball in the 50's got the axe. SW Lousiana basketball got it the 70's. Kentucky b-ball very nearly got it again in the 90's, and there was one D-II school and one D-III school who have gotten it since '04. Trust me, the NCAA will go at a snail's pace, it will be thorough, it will dot it's i's and cross it's t's, and if the midget's paper trail is PROVEN to be true, well, good-bye Hurricane football.

Now if Mr. Doyel thinks that if Miami (FL) getting the death penalty will "rally the troops" to pull out of the NCAA, then he is sadly mistaken. The people on the list to see Miami (FL) bite the big one is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG. USC should be at the top of the list. It was Miami (FL)'s former AD who headed up the Reggie Bush witch-hunt and layed the wood to USC, and he was in charge of the Hurricane's program up until 2008. I can't see the alums who remember how Miami used to be, crying out "Remember the Hurricanes!". Can you?

Last edited:
Disagree, because the presidents don't want that. Both you and Doyel make the mistake of thinking of the NCAA as an organization separate from its component schools.

Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'll admit I haven't done research in this matter but is there something that ties schools to have to belong to the NCAA?

Why can't members leave and start their own seperate organization that governs the rules of those members?

The NCAA doesn't even have a recognized champiohship and or trophy in football. Women's sports weren't even part of the NCAA until the 1980s. Before then, they have their own governing body.

As far as presidents not wanting to do it. They're going to go wherever the money leads them. Superconferences will earn huge TV contracts.

Now, maybe the NCAA has a way to force schools to belong to their association. Honestly, I don't know. If they don't, I see them being in pretty serious trouble.

Last edited:
With all do respect to Mr. Doyel, his doomsday vision is something outta of science fiction and not reality. He cites one AD and one former AD, and their assertions that "others are talking" about it, as the basis of his suppositions. Oh sure, 64 teams in 4 conferences is all it takes to in effect hold a money-coup and go off and create their own "quasi-NCAA". Its not that simple. The NCAA holds media contracts with the CBS, ESPN and Turner and all their quasi (I love saying quasi) media forms which I am sure total BILLIONS of dollars over SEVERAL years. As long as those contracts are in play, no new "BCS Collegiate Athletic Association" is going to be able to get diddly...at least for several years, maybe decades. Advertisers are also locked into their contracts and cannot legally simply pull out on a whim. And without THAT money there is no $15-$17 million payouts to each team for each BCS bowl game, that each of the 64 schools I am sure would be expecting to follow them down their "yellow brick" road...tra-la-la-la-la.

So trust me, the NCAA has the knowledge of this and will, if the allegations are indeed PROVEN, slap the death-penalty on Miami (FL) for a year or two. SMU is not the only time it's been done. Kentucky basketball in the 50's got the axe. SW Lousiana basketball got it the 70's. Kentucky b-ball very nearly got it again in the 90's, and there was one D-II school and one D-III school who have gotten it since '04. Trust me, the NCAA will go at a snail's pace, it will be thorough, it will dot it's i's and cross it's t's, and if the midget's paper trail is PROVEN to be true, well, good-bye Hurricane football.

Now if Mr. Doyel thinks that if Miami (FL) getting the death penalty will "rally the troops" to pull out of the NCAA, then he is sadly mistaken. The people on the list to see Miami (FL) bite the big one is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG. USC should be at the top of the list. It was Miami (FL)'s former AD who headed up the Reggie Bush witch-hunt and layed the wood to USC, and he was in charge of the Hurricane's program up until 2008. I can't see the alums who remember how Miami used to be, crying out "Remember the Hurricanes!". Can you?

The MacMurray college tennis team. Those cheating bastards.

Also reading through the wiki entry for Morehouse College's soccer team receiving the death penalty I found this gem:

The NCAA came down particularly hard on Morehouse due to a lack of institutional control; for a time the athletic department didn't know the soccer program even existed.

Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'll admit I haven't done research in this matter but is there something that ties schools to have to belong to the NCAA?

Why can't members leave and start their own seperate organization that governs the rules of those members?

They could. But they already have. It is called the "NCAA".

The NCAA was formed by the schools, for the schools. Its Management Council and board of directors consist of member school presidents. The NCAA doesn't do anything its school presidents don't want it to.

Glad to see someone understands.

NCAA works FOR those schools.
At the will of those schools.
NCAA not meeting expectations.
We see it everyday, an AD, a president, publicly criticizing the NCAA.
They are creating a "no faith" scenario.

NCAA works FOR those schools. At the will of those schools. NCAA not meeting expectations.

Then the schools have no one to blame but themselves, as they run the NCAA. Literally - they run it. Do some homework on its governance and management structure.

We see it everyday, an AD, a president, publicly criticizing the NCAA.

Really? Everyday? Care to cite specific examples?

The cheating started in 2002...wasn't Miami very relevant around then?

The problem with cheating is that it pays off BIG time for those doing the cheating. So now schools assess whether it is worth cheating and worth getting caught. If all that happens is that you don't get to go to a bowl game for a couple of years, big deal.

The entire time they were cheating they set themselves up as a powerhouse and kids still want to go there because of all the publicity they received all those years. Kids don't care whether the schools cheated...they want to play in championship games. So a pat on the hand and it is right back to business and they are still a powerhouse.

Think the 2year ban will hurt USC? OSU?

Miami is a bigger deal in the media and Florida than it is in the minds of most fans across the country, I would guess. I don't think it will be a big deal to anyone but Floridians, ACC folk, and the media. That's just the vibe I get.

Miami is a bigger deal in the media and Florida than it is in the minds of most fans across the country, I would guess. I don't think it will be a big deal to anyone but Floridians, ACC folk, and the media. That's just the vibe I get.

Miami has a pretty big national following. Chances are, if I were dropped in a random city, I would find a guy wearing Miami gear before a guy wearing, say, Wisconsin gear.

That said, Miami is a pretty big deal in South Florida (and the South East in general), and while they don't have many alumni, they have many wealthy people in that area who support the program, and legions of great athletes who yearn to wear the U.

Latest posts