FootballScoop

If he would be "starting" his coaching search...he's derelict in his duties. (I know...imagine that)

I'm sure Barta has a short list of candidates, and I'm sure Biels on it. He was clearly trying to distance himself a bit from Kirk (at least his contract) after the game, and he appears to know what time it is. He knows how toxic it is out there. Whether or not he'll be able to find a suitable replacement remains to be seen.

That said, I fully expect Kirk to be here next season.

Why do you say that? Let's hypothetically say that Bret Bielema wanted the Iowa job......If Iowa offered him the job right now, what would keep him from leaving? This wouldn't be the first time a head coaching position comes open in January.

I don't think Bielema would take the Iowa job, at least not right now. Iowa is a train wreck right now.

I don't think Bielema would take the Iowa job, at least not right now. Iowa is a train wreck right now.

He left a team that he had taken to 3 straight Rose Bowls to take over a 4-8 Arkansas team that was a dumpster fire after the Petrino debacle......

I'm not saying he would come to Iowa, but I'm not sure why some think he wouldn't come to Iowa where he played.

I actually believe Bielema would take the job right now although I believe Kirk will be the head coach at Iowa next year. Iowa isn't going to be in any better shape in 1 or probably even 2 years from now especially if Kirk is still the coach. Our recruiting class is bad this year. I don't see that getting any better next year with all of the rumors surrounding Kirk right now and whether he will be the coach in a year or 2 or 3 from now.

Arkansas was the train wreck job when he took it and he's done pretty well turning them around.

Iowa would not be as difficult to take over at this time. But it won't matter because KF's not likely to go anywhere for now.

Arkansas was the train wreck job when he took it and he's done pretty well turning them around.

Iowa would not be as difficult to take over at this time. But it won't matter because KF's not likely to go anywhere for now.

You're right. Why would he want to do that twice?

You're right. Why would he want to do that twice?

2 reason's I can think of why he'd come to Iowa.

1. He is a Hawkeye
2. The expectations at Iowa are so much better then at Arkansas

Or should I say the expectations aren't nearly as high at Iowa if we look at the last 5 to 8 years.

Last edited:

I actually think it’s an ideal situation for a new coach. Let alone an alum.

Easiest P5 schedule
Hungry and capable players
Brand spanking new facilities
Great attendance
High revenue-producing program that’s about to get a whole lot richer
History of loyalty to coaches (2 HC’s since 1979)

I would add that attractions for Bielema to return to IC might also include............

* It's home - the brain works one way but the heart usually wins out in the long run. Meyer and Harbaugh came home to roost. Maybe Bret and his wife are finding that southern culture to not be the best fit outside of the football world.

* Perception of the BIG could be on the cusp of changing - decent performance in the bowls and more importantly it looks like it could begin to attract top drawer coaches......again reference to Meyer and Harbaugh for leaving some pretty green pastures to join the BIG

* In large part he left WI because he felt he wasn't appreciated and couldn't get salary increases for his assistants. No doubt he would be appreciated at Iowa at least in the short term due to his playing days here, etc. Don't know about the salary issue but with the BIG soon to take in increased dollars maybe that's not quite the same issue.

The AD and administration would have to be willing to take a sharp right turn to deal with his personality vs. K. Ferentz. Oh well, it all makes for a nice dream.

It's a train wreck on the field.

the program itself is still fine but If Ferentz is allowed to hang around much longer that will change.

I asked this in a earlier thread. Has there been any word from Barta since the bowl game about the football program. Why haven't these rumors been squelched?

And Bob Stoops would have been the coach at Iowa in 1999 if Bob Bowlsby would have done the coaching hire the right way.

Bob Bowlsby's hand were tied. School's proceedure when hiring. All interviews had to be conducted before the offer officially went out. Watch, it'll happen again after KF.

Heck if I know lol. I hear little bits and pieces, not the whole thing. I know a little more that I really want to tell you guys, but by doing so I'd really violate the trust I have from the source and I don't wanna get them in any trouble... because they would be in a lot of it.

Time to find a new source....LMAO!

Latest posts