Football Facility upgrade UPDATE (link)

i'm not real sure how the land in Iowa City goes but I say just let the hospital do what they want with the land the bubble is on. In return, we get to paint the damn water tower. :D

UI moves forward with plans to upgrade football facilities | GazetteOnline.com

I say build a new indoor structure and make the current bubble into parking spaces or hospital related expansion.

I always heard that the O'Jacobson building was top notch, guess not.

The drawings I saw of a new facility looked top-notch...do it. We have to protect the franchise. Falling behind in bb killed the program....cannot repeat that mistake here,especially since the life of the bubble is expiring anyway...no more boat houses...football and bb only from here on out.

Why is it that the hospital doesnt do like most and big UP, make more use of the space it is on, versus expanding like a giant puddle.

I've never understood that either. Might be more expensive, or something funding related.

I work as a resident in the hospital and the last thing we need is another building. We have space and it just isn't all being used. Some needs to be remodeled. There is already a huge traffic/parking problem, the last thing we need is another large building to take up space.

As for the football facility, I hope they build on the site where the current outdoor facility is. You can move the outdoor facility back some as there is an unused old field (I believe the field hockey team use to play there) on the NW corner of the current practice field. This way you can keep everything grouped together. Where the bubble is now the football offices, weight room and training facility can be expanded to the existing Jacobsen building as they are already attached.

I am sure this would cost a lot but it would allow everything to stay close and use land that is not being used currently for anything (old field hockey field).

This is so crucial that this gets built. In this day in age and where we have made mistakes with the basketball program, the facilities race is vital to recrutiing, developemnt of players, and longterm success of a program. I am excited to see this.

This is so crucial that this gets built. In this day in age and where we have made mistakes with the basketball program, the facilities race is vital to recrutiing, developemnt of players, and longterm success of a program. I am excited to see this.

Couldn't agree more! Can't even believe that some people question this decision (not necessarily on this board/post, but in general).

Why is it that the hospital doesnt do like most and big UP, make more use of the space it is on, versus expanding like a giant puddle.

My mom worked there for 35 years and I asked her this once. She said it has to do with fire code. Hospitals can only have a limited number of floors so patients can still safely exit in the event of a fire. Most patients can't go down 30 flights of stairs

The comments at the bottom are classic

Ignorant people, that don't understand that money is DONATED toward athletics specifically.

If they want to have a beef with people for giving money to football, then go for it. But the idea that the U of I is at fault is absurd.

An astute observation, and a very good question. One already being answered. The good news for Hawkeye football fans is that the one billion dollar plus renovations & expansion of UIHC now in process is more a matter of building upward rather than outward. The bad news (if better health care can be thought of as a negative) for fans is that the likely accelerated pace of UIHC's growth can only result in the widening of the puddle.

Key fact, oten overlooked or unknown to fans, is that , UIHC owns the land that the bubble is on, the baseball field--AND Kinnick. The land is on long-term indefinite lease for the athletic facilities.

A decade ago when the discussions began about providing a more suitable football stadium--Kinnick was deteriorating, had problems of inadequate facilities, was no longer one of the better stadia in the Big Ten, with upgrading at Camp Randall, Happy Valley, Ohio State--attention first centered upon a new stadium to be constructed at another site (the site getting the most attention was on the land already controlled by the athletic department north of Melrose & west of Mormon Trek, adjacent to where the new soccer field, sports museum, etc have been built). No less than seven different sets of architectural preliminary plans & drawings were created: the U architectural office still has them, at least at last report.

They settled ultimately on a decision to postpone the building of a new, larger (100,000 capacity) stadium until sometime in the 2020s or later.
A number of reasons seem to have been behind this choice: some doubt about how soon there would be an effective demand for a much larger stadium (this was before Ferentz made the 2002 breakthrough); there was concern about raising the estimated quarter-billion dollar cost solely from private contributions; and the fact that UIHC was not considering expansion plans that would require taking over the land being used for athletics. The current one billion dollar plus, 8-year duration scheduled renovations & upgrading of UIHC had not yet been finalized but the UIHC administration knew that it was going to be a matter of drastically remodeling much of the exising plant, including the four existing pavillions, Boyd Tower, other facilities becoming obsolescent or inadequate--and beyond that UIHC would be building up more than out...meaning that forcing immediate changes upon the athletic dept would not occur for a long time, maybe twenty years or longer.

But much has changed in the past decade--politically (this week's passage of far-reaching health care "reform" probably is only the first step in the ambitious plans to implement the Obama Administration's high priority for expansion of federal spending on medical research & treatment), dramatic steps forward in medical knowledge and advancements in regard to major diseases such as cancer, diabetes, etc. Iowa's role in the Genome Project, and its huge investment in cancer research & treatment, etc have brought UIHC lucrative patents, intensified government & foundation grants, contracts, other funding. The current renovations & upgrading expand the UIHC plant & scale of operations to an anticipated increase of 6,000 or more additional staff.

Merely my own idiosyncratic guess, but all these factors may complicate the upgrading of football practice & support facilities--particularly in regard to the site. The prospect of rapid, large growth of UIHC in the coming decade or two might very easily cause UIHC to be the reluctant landlord evicting the athletic dept from some or all of the leased land. And in that case Barta, et al may have to build the new facilities out beyond Mormon Trek, accept the years of inconvenience and logistical problems that would follow. But there may be no alternative: there would be other intransigent problems with trying to move across Melrose & displace the private home-owners there.

Last edited:

Latest posts