Foles-not all that

Imlivingthedream

theres 5 guys Iowa will see this year who have much higher passing ratings than he does. Jon said last week hes the best qb we will see this year-Im not seeing that.

Arizona scored 10 points yesterday.

Arizona played the classic letdown game after an emotional, self-appointed program-defining signature win.

theres 5 guys Iowa will see this year who have much higher passing ratings than he does. Jon said last week hes the best qb we will see this year-Im not seeing that.

Arizona scored 10 points yesterday.

A lot of those ratings will come down, and Foles' will either improve or stay where it is. He showed last year what he's capable of.

I'm not sold on Persa yet. He looks much better than he did a year ago, but he's not facing Big Ten defenses. Same goes for Robinson. Pryor looks as though he's finally ready to live up to the hype. Cousins looks to be benefitting greatly from an improved running game. Chappel is a good QB, but he's played nobody. Foles will still probably be the best pure passer we see this year.

Why are we worried about Foles? He led his team down the field when it mattered most and scored the winning TD.

Unless we're facing him in the Rose Bowl later this year, it really isn't going to matter.

A lot of those ratings will come down, and Foles' will either improve or stay where it is. He showed last year what he's capable of.

I'm not sold on Persa yet. He looks much better than he did a year ago, but he's not facing Big Ten defenses. Same goes for Robinson. Pryor looks as though he's finally ready to live up to the hype. Cousins looks to be benefitting greatly from an improved running game. Chappel is a good QB, but he's played nobody. Foles will still probably be the best pure passer we see this year.

Northwestern better hope the injury bug that's hit Purdue doesn't bite them when they play in two weeks. If Persa goes down jNW is done for the season.

Robinson will not hold up during B10 play and UM doesn't have the defense to carry the load.

Pryor has yet to be really tested, I look forward to seeing him against Wisconsin but would bet on him against the Badgers

Agree with you on both Cousins and Chappel, they'll be exposed for how good/bad they really are during B10 season.

Foles is easily the most dangerous pure passer Iowa will see this year. Pryor will certainly be a dangerous player, more so than Foles, because he can do two things..same with Robinson at Michigan. But as far as just passing, and being patient and accurate to pick the spots in Iowa's zone that are there, Foles will be the best.

Foles is easily the most dangerous pure passer Iowa will see this year. Pryor will certainly be a dangerous player, more so than Foles, because he can do two things..same with Robinson at Michigan. But as far as just passing, and being patient and accurate to pick the spots in Iowa's zone that are there, Foles will be the best.

Kirk Cousins and Ben Chappell are pretty good pure passers.

We will play several really good QB's this year.

Foles, Tolzein, Robinson, Cousins, Chapell, Prior, Persa all can hurt us.

Kirk Cousins and Ben Chappell are pretty good pure passers.

We will play several really good QB's this year.

Foles, Tolzein, Robinson, Cousins, Chapell, Prior, Persa all can hurt us.

Again, Jon admits that Robinson and Pryor are more dangerous because of the plays they can make with their legs. But Foles, Cousins, Chappell, and Tolzien (and that's a bit of a reach) are the more pure passers. Foles is better than Cousins in a very important area: he's patient and takes those short passes that our defense allows. Cousins has not yet shown himself willing to do so. He wants to make the big plays too often. He's got the physical skill to be great, and when he learns to be patient, he will be. Chappell is a very good pure passer, I was impressed last year with him. But he's not played anyone yet, so I'll see if he keeps it up. But those 3 are head and shoulders above any other pocket passer we play.

I agree with John. We will face a lot of good,solid QB's this year in the league,but pure passers? Foles edges out Cousins and Chapel in that category.
Dangerous qbs? Robinson,Pryor,and Persa all fit that description.
This is the year of the QB in the Big Ten,which is why it is a great league this year.

I dont see another team giving their QB as much time to pass as AU did. But we will see some good QBs just dont having enough time to find spots in our defense. With the progress I think that our LBs and secondary are making I think those spots are getting smaller. I also think Micah Hyde is going to be key Because AU picked on him and other will to. He showed progress this week hopefully he can continue against Penn State.

I dont see another team giving their QB as much time to pass as AU did. But we will see some good QBs just dont having enough time to find spots in our defense. With the progress I think that our LBs and secondary are making I think those spots are getting smaller. I also think Micah Hyde is going to be key Because AU picked on him and other will to. He showed progress this week hopefully he can continue against Penn State.

The Arizona game is going to pay huge dividends, for Hyde in particular. He's got the skills, just lacks the experience. With teams picking on him so much to stay away from Prater, Sash, and Greenwood, Hyde will grow up quickly. I think he's strong enough to play well against Penn State, and maybe Michigan. By the time we hit MSU and their DEEP receiving corps, Hyde I think will begin to blossom much the same way Spievey did around that time of his sophomore year.

The Arizona game is going to pay huge dividends, for Hyde in particular. He's got the skills, just lacks the experience. With teams picking on him so much to stay away from Prater, Sash, and Greenwood, Hyde will grow up quickly. I think he's strong enough to play well against Penn State, and maybe Michigan. By the time we hit MSU and their DEEP receiving corps, Hyde I think will begin to blossom much the same way Spievey did around that time of his sophomore year.

I think you are right on. I think Hyde learned a lot from the AU game.

Despite having played Iowa and Cal when most teams have only played cupcakes, Foles is 3rd in the country in completion percentage and 38th in yards per attempt. His TD per attempt is low, a relatively meaningless value which drags down his passer rating. His INT per attempt is fairly low.

He is a very good passer. We'll see how the stats stack up at the end of the year.

Despite having played Iowa and Cal when most teams have only played cupcakes, Foles is 3rd in the country in completion percentage and 38th in yards per attempt. His TD per attempt is low, a relatively meaningless value which drags down his passer rating. His INT per attempt is fairly low.

He is a very good passer. We'll see how the stats stack up at the end of the year.

Cal gave up 52 points to Nevada.

Arizona scored 10 versus Cal.

Quarterback rating stats are hardly THE indicator on how dangerous someone is to play.

whats the indicator?

points scored?

Im playing Devils Advocate here, w/o a doubt..but Im having a hard time understanding how a one dimensional qb, with a very average qb rating is more dangerous than guys with better stats.

9 Big Ten QBs finished with better qb ratings than Boles last year.

2009 NCAA Division I-A College Football Individual Statistics Leaders for Passing - ESPN

I guess I dont understand why Boles is so "dangerous." The stats dont back that up.

Compared to Big Ten QB's, Foles stacks up pretty well. Efficiency rating only tells part of the story. You've got to look closer.

Foles, when compared to the Big Ten, had the #3 completion % (Behind Kafka and Tolzien). However, he was dead last in yards per attempt. That can bring down you efficiency rating pretty quickly, as can lack of total yards (he didn't become the starter until Week 4, and still threw for 2400+). He also would have been last in yards per completion, and while that wouldn't affect his passer rating, it is a useful bit of information. So, what does that tell us? He is an accurate passer who excels at throwing the short routes. What kind of QB is the ideal to beat us? It sure ain't the big play QB.

Cal gave up 52 points to Nevada.

Arizona scored 10 versus Cal.

Nevada also is one of the top rushing teams in the country. That attack is no joke. Cal's defensive rank against the run: 47 (just 6 spots ahead of Michigan). Cal ranks #15 in both pass defense (yards allowed) and pass efficiency defense. Arizona's rush offense comes in at #90. You do the math here.

Latest posts