Foles-not all that

Compared to Big Ten QB's, Foles stacks up pretty well. Efficiency rating only tells part of the story. You've got to look closer.

Foles, when compared to the Big Ten, had the #3 completion % (Behind Kafka and Tolzien). However, he was dead last in yards per attempt. That can bring down you efficiency rating pretty quickly, as can lack of total yards (he didn't become the starter until Week 4, and still threw for 2400+). He also would have been last in yards per completion, and while that wouldn't affect his passer rating, it is a useful bit of information. So, what does that tell us? He is an accurate passer who excels at throwing the short routes. What kind of QB is the ideal to beat us? It sure ain't the big play QB.

I don't totally disagree with you, however, I do think yards per attempt is a pretty critical stat for a QB.

Northwestern better hope the injury bug that's hit Purdue doesn't bite them when they play in two weeks. If Persa goes down jNW is done for the season.

Robinson will not hold up during B10 play and UM doesn't have the defense to carry the load.

Pryor has yet to be really tested, I look forward to seeing him against Wisconsin but would bet on him against the Badgers

Agree with you on both Cousins and Chappel, they'll be exposed for how good/bad they really are during B10 season.
The Hurricanes secondary is by far the best OSU is going to see this year and their DL is probably better than any in the B10 outside of Iowa. I wouldn't say he hasn't been tested....

I don't totally disagree with you, however, I do think yards per attempt is a pretty critical stat for a QB.

I agree. But that depends on what kind of offense you run. For a QB playing in a high-flying attack, ypa is VERY important. If you run a lot of quick-hitters, not so much. His yards per attempt is more reflective of the kind of offense they run rather than ineffectiveness on his part. Kafka and Chappell had ypa averages under 7 yards, as well. That had much to do with the fact that Indiana and Northwestern like to dink and dunk their way down the field in the passing game than it was a poor reflection on the QB's ability. Foles is the same way.

Cousins threw quite a bit last year, and made some big plays. So did Stanzi, and Tolzien. Big play passing games look better for a QB rating. That doesn't make the big play QB's better than the guys who take the short stuff. Cousins and Chappell are the only two pocket passers we will see that I would put up with Foles. If Cousins can cut down on the forced throws, he should be better than Foles. But I've not seen much of him yet, so I can't say if he's made that improvement.

Foles is pretty good. He did shred the vaunted Iowa defense in crunch time to beat them. No other quarterback we face this season can claim an accomplishment like that.

The Hurricanes secondary is by far the best OSU is going to see this year and their DL is probably better than any in the B10 outside of Iowa. I wouldn't say he hasn't been tested....

I agree. Miami's secondary is very good. OSU was very impressive.

Jon is right. He has a Pro Arm. Outside of maybe Pryor, Foles will be drafted before any current Big10 starting QB.

Latest posts