Fleck to Minnesota.....I'm gonna go puke now!!!

Especially behind the scenes.......he will have to navigate through the politics(literally and figuratively).

Not really. He's the AD and President's guy. No problems there.

His biggest challenge will be the chronically negative Minnesota sports scene...especially the media. Everybody's favorite cynic, Patrick Reusse is already criticizing his schtick. Knew this was coming. Our guys may seem like homers sometimes, but I'll take that over the smug, cynical jerks that tend to dominate the sports media up here.

When PJ turns Minny into B1G champs, he's going to have his pick at any jobs available and he's going to pick a school not named Iowa, probably Michigan when Harbaugh goes back to the NFL. :(

x100, minny is not a long term destination. He has a couple 10 win seasons and he's off to the SEC for 6 mil a year. No way is he with the goofs more than 5 years. That's a destination job for jerry kill types, not hot young commodities. #steppingstone

x100, minny is not a long term destination. He has a couple 10 win seasons and he's off to the SEC for 6 mil a year. No way is he with the goofs more than 5 years. That's a destination job for jerry kill types, not hot young commodities. #steppingstone

I tend to agree. But what if he lingers at a consistent 7-5 or 8-4 with a 9/10 win season every 4-5 years (sound familiar?). Would he be hot enough for an Oklahoma, Florida, Notre Dame? I doubt the Goophs would fire him.

Then again, an appearance in the Big Ten Championship game could be all he needs to springboard. That's very do-able. Upset Wisconsin, catch Iowa/Nebraska in a down year...not that far-fetched. Hell, they weren't that far away this year (lost by one score to PSU, Iowa and Nebraska)

If thy had nine wins this year while in a state of disarray then how many will he get them when it is in a better state? If they had nine wins this year, what makes people think they are going to be bad in the future and have to be re-built?

This is not a re-build job. What makes people think he can't hit the ground running?

It's not s rebuild job in terms of talent. But that talent I'm speaking of hate the adminstration with a firey passion. PJ will have his work cut out for him.

It's not s rebuild job in terms of talent. But that talent I'm speaking of hate the adminstration with a firey passion. PJ will have his work cut out for him.

They're temperamental millennials with a short attention span. He'll have em brainwashed in no time.

Last edited:
Not really. He's the AD and President's guy. No problems there.

His biggest challenge will be the chronically negative Minnesota sports scene...especially the media. Everybody's favorite cynic, Patrick Reusse is already criticizing his schtick. Knew this was coming. Our guys may seem like homers sometimes, but I'll take that over the smug, cynical jerks that tend to dominate the sports media up here.

I forgot about the negative media up there which I know about just following things online down here in Florida. A school sitting in a city like that where you compete for attention with the pro teams and deal with hostile media wouldn't seem my cup of tea if in his shoes. But I think Fleck will come out of it ok no matter what happens. He will likely do well enough to coach there as long as he wants to and can fry bigger fish if he does well and find a happier place if Minnesota turns out not to his liking.

Last edited:
I tend to agree. But what if he lingers at a consistent 7-5 or 8-4 with a 9/10 win season every 4-5 years (sound familiar?). Would he be hot enough for an Oklahoma, Florida, Notre Dame? I doubt the Goophs would fire him.

Then again, an appearance in the Big Ten Championship game could be all he needs to springboard. That's very do-able. Upset Wisconsin, catch Iowa/Nebraska in a down year...not that far-fetched. Hell, they weren't that far away this year (lost by one score to PSU, Iowa and Nebraska)

I welcome that at Minnesota, that describes
Claeys, kill, and Glenn mason.

You shouldn't have posted this, dean might have a stroke reading it

Why would I have a stroke? Minnesota has have a pretty decent 4 year run. Yet unlike you, I understand football and realize that 1 game a year is HUGE.

Did you realize that if you "just gave" Iowa 1 more win each year, that they would be #9 in the nation in winning % over the last 4 years? Unfortunately you can't just "give" a team 1 more win each year than what they actually won.

Since you can't just "give" wins to teams, the reality is, over the last 4 years Iowa has a .660% winning % and Minnesota has a .596% winning %. That puts Iowa tied at #17 of P5 teams and Minnesota tied for #35 of P5 teams. Basically Iowa is in the top 26% of all P5 teams and Minnesota in the bottom 50% of all P5 teams.

College football is a fine line, and 1 win a year is huge.

All I can say is. He better know how to row. He may find himself up a certain creek without a paddle, Because I've lived in Minnesota 18 years now and from what I can tell. Murphy's law is in affect at all times when it come to that athletic program.

images

I agree. Minnesota is in a weak division that is there for the taking. And when you really look at it, they aren't that far away anyway. In 2014 and 2016 with a win in their final game against Wisconsin, Minnesota would have won the division. 2014 outright and 2016 would have been a tie. They held double digit leads in both of those games but ultimately lost both.

Post-graduate, the Twin Cities is much better than Iowa City.
I moved to Iowa City in 1998 with a double major in Economics/Business Administration and 7 years in the Army, and couldn't find associated work either in the Cedar Rapids/ Iowa City area.
Graduates won't have that same problem in Minneapolis.

Plus, Minnesota facilities are improving.
New stadium they can call their own (compared to the Hefty Trash Can - Metrodome).

Easily, Minnesota can be as successful as Connie in Madison.
They're not that far away. Convince some 3-4 star recruits to live through Minnesota winters and there is a Top25 program in the Gophers.

The latest negative take from Mpls sports media.... THIS will be Fleck's biggest challenge, the lousy attitude of the Minnesota sports scene.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/07/tom-powers-p-j-fleck-may-have-just-hit-career-roadblock/

I just read the article and thought what a great fit Fleck would make here in a post KF/Barta era. For a guy who likes to take on challenges he may feel more at home in Minneapolis slaying the many dragons he will face up there. This writer seemed complimentary of Fleck if not the fit. A young energetic guy like that seems the right kind of coach to get the deadbeat media onboard with his vision. He certainly won't fail for lack of trying you can bet on that.

I just read the article and thought what a great fit Fleck would make here in a post KF/Barta era. For a guy who likes to take on challenges he may feel more at home in Minneapolis slaying the many dragons he will face up there. This writer seemed complimentary of Fleck if not the fit. A young energetic guy like that seems the right kind of coach to get the deadbeat media onboard with his vision. He certainly won't fail for lack of trying you can bet on that.

Hard to not to like the guy...if he would just dial it back a little bit. Gives you the sense that he's trying just a little too hard.

Latest posts