Fitzgerald v. Ferentz: Who is the better coach?

Kain Colter admitted under oath when he testified to the NLRB that he would not been admitted to NW if he was a normal student. Fitz gets plenty of leeway on admissions.

And that makes for a better recruiting pitch for Fitz. Hey, kid, come to our ''elite '' academic school, get the 76k/yr diploma, which is a high value scholly, even with your average grades. This allows Fitz to compare the NW package very favorably to an Iowa, which is less than half the cost....for parents who understand that gap in scholly value , it makes NW attractive. Kain Colter interned at Goldman Sachs....Iowa cannot match that.

Well that sounds to me like Mr. Colter was testifying on something outside of the scope of his expertise that the finder of fact should have never let on the record. I'm not saying Northwestern holds athletes to the same standard as the general student body, but they do hold them to materially higher standards than the rest of the Big Ten. Faith Ekakitie is a prime example of this. The kid's stats were probably better than 80-90% of the general student body at Iowa and yet he was dinged at NU and Kurt welcomed him to Iowa City. When the admissions committee dings a 4 star with an insane offer list who lives up the street and he qualifies at Iowa, it is pretty apparent that Iowa and NU are operating in two completely different spheres when it comes to the available talent pool.

And FYI, Adam "the Glove" Shada landed at Goldman, pal.

Well, your title implies a head to head competition, so Fitz is definitely the better coach since he consistently spanks Kirk with less talent...

Well that sounds to me like Mr. Colter was testifying on something outside of the scope of his expertise that the finder of fact should have never let on the record. I'm not saying Northwestern holds athletes to the same standard as the general student body, but they do hold them to materially higher standards than the rest of the Big Ten. Faith Ekakitie is a prime example of this. The kid's stats were probably better than 80-90% of the general student body at Iowa and yet he was dinged at NU and Kurt welcomed him to Iowa City. When the admissions committee dings a 4 star with an insane offer list who lives up the street and he qualifies at Iowa, it is pretty apparent that Iowa and NU are operating in two completely different spheres when it comes to the available talent pool.

And FYI, Adam "the Glove" Shada landed at Goldman, pal.

After Faith, NW eased up on standards. As for the summer internships at Goldman....I suspect that Iowa football players do not get them in IC....while Colter and his mates can take the el downtown in the summer and start networking. Shada got his job after college, cus he was one smart dude. I will concede that Fitz has sold his program well...just ask him.

Both are solid coaches, have brought teams up from awful status at the time they came on board. Both have had ups and downs. Both do pretty darn well with their respective talent levels.

I prefer KF, cause he's a Hawkeye.

The only way Fitz even comes close to comparing to KF is if you leave out KF best years. The years in which he finished top 10, the year he was AP coach of the year, etc. It is usually pretty easy to downplay someone's success if you completely ignore some of his best years.

For instance, lets ignore Fitz's 2 best years. If that is the case, Fitz would have 2 winning season in 6 years would be 36-39 overall 17-31 B1G record and is 0-3 in Bowl games.

^ And the two previous coaches at NU were clearly superior (Barnett & Walker each earned a B10 title by year 4), so being a coach at "just Northwestern" is no excuse for his 8 year record of mediocrity.

Li'l Patty Fitzfitz is the Paul Rhodes of the B10.

^ And the two previous coaches at NU were clearly superior (Barnett & Walker each earned a B10 title by year 4), so being a coach at "just Northwestern" is no excuse for his 8 year record of mediocrity.

Li'l Patty Fitzfitz is the Paul Rhodes of the B10.

So much laffy in this poast! I'd hit the like button 10 times...

Latest posts