First round NCAA tourney loss?

And you are getting your panties in a bunch over that? The word "cancer" has been used to describe many problems in the locker room....like he or she was a cancer on the team and needed to go.

I guess I could have compared Fran to black mold if he can't have any top end success this year and moving forward.....but that does not sound right for someone who was once called white magic. ;)

I also could have called it a potential ticking time bomb.

Or, how about just not getting the job done for achieving top end success.

Take your pick in the hypothetical.

Just to be clear, I don't think Fran deserves to be fired or should be fired for an early bounce. He is earning his keep......my main reaction to this thread is an early bounce could hurt Fran down the road.
Whatever.

Iowa could lose every remaining regular season game, get bounced in the first round of the B1G tournament, then lose in the First Four, and Fran would still not be fired.

Do people not remember how awful this program was when Fran took over? It would take multiple losing seasons for him to be fired, as it should. At this point, he's earned that much.
I agree with you in paragraph 1. Why do people keep asking "Do people not remember how bad it was before...." Yes it was Fran has had 11 GD years to make it something! 11 years! That's hardly being impatient. 0 NCAA 2nd round tourney wins 0! He also had been terrible in the conference tournament. If this team does not make it to semi-final weekend in the Big Ten tourney and a Sweet 16 appearance he has not done his job this year period.

Spot on "we get some really good mid major type ball with character dudes" direct result of Franny is essentially a Mid Major Coach not only in his recruiting but in his coaching or I like to call it Juco Ball we will outscore your 101 to 100 fun to watch however a formula for middle to lower of the pack Big Ten.

If it happens should Fran be fired?
It depends on what you want/think Iowa should be. Some say look at how bad it was before and lower the bar so he shouldn't be. I think Iowa can be Wisconsin, Gonzaga, Baylor, and the like. if they can we can but not with Fran.

Actually I would like a very good or excellent coach. Not just a pretty good one. One who knows what it takes to win in this conference and in the post season. Not counting the first three years after Lackluster they have faded most every year. The last 16 games of every year were .500 or below except one year. That year they were 9-7 and they had a dream match up with Davidson which was perfect for them. Last year was cut short but they were 6-6 in the last 12 games. They are not over .500 in those last 16 games total even excluding the first 3 years. If you play 33 to 35 games a year and nearly the last half you are fading out while others are ramping up for the post season you are doing something wrong. You play to get to the conference tourney and NCAA. It sucks to play and then towards the end you are not a player and you are not to be taken seriously and you know it is over.

You get stomped so many times when you get to a big game. Michigan, Gonzaga, Villanova, Duke, Pudue, whatever. This Michigan game was pulling away where others where 19 point games where Iowa was down nearly 30 at one point and made it more respectable.

Many times we are up and down showing Fran is slow to adjust. We get down by these big ass margins in some big games. Even if you come back against Cincinnati it is a bad sign. You should not keep getting buried and stop runs better. Against a better team they were not making that comeback. Slower to react and make adjustments Fran and his staff will never go far in the postseason. Too slow you lose a game and you are done. Too late to figure it out after the game when you are one and done.

Face it, his championship defense video aside, this team hasn't played better defense till year 9 lol! Since his teams are not conditioned as well as others they fade physically and can't keep up that defense late in the year anyhow. Not happy their hands are not up all the time but they don't seem to have the wind to do it. Why do other teams not wear down and are rounding into shape for the postseason and we get worn down even with a deep bench?

Also see the good but not great coaching. Teams that don't pass well and have trouble inbounding, pass off the back foot too much and throw some bad or incorrect types of passes. Conner is a good passer and the rest of team very very average. Yet Conner gets this rep as a great passer but just the best on this so-so passing team.

They finally should have a good record down the stretch this year but with most likely the player of the year hopefully they should. Still, they are only 5-5 in the last ten games! Where have I seen this before.

For my liking, I think Fran has run his course. How many years do you need to see the same thing with the slow learning. Even with some better defense they still are far from great with foot work and not conditioned for a post season run. Face it if Garza was a better physical specimen would he be here? How many real, not just lucky to have him get to you POY types are you gonna get under Fran?

I want more than the so-so fundamentals, not B1G caliber conditioned, always not in the discussion when the post season comes around type of team. A coach who can adjust on the fly better. Admit it, by far the most games where it is close one half then totally not in the other half esp. in bigger games. Too many once they figure us out and adjust we are down near 20 and it is over. I want smarter quicker counter adjustments and staying in more big games.

Long rant but could have just said he just isn't more than average or good in any aspect and Iowa has not been worth mentioning or going anywhere in any post season tournament except the one NIT but that was at home and we still lost the home game in overtime. I want to go somewhere. Under Fran we are not going anywhere. So time for Fran to go. Wasting the Garza years is enough to show the ceiling is hit and another few years is not gonna change anything. Winning 20 games with a pretty weak non-con and by some time in Feb. you are a non-factor is not what I think the ceiling for Iowa should be.

It depends on what you want/think Iowa should be. Some say look at how bad it was before and lower the bar so he shouldn't be. I think Iowa can be Wisconsin, Gonzaga, Baylor, and the like. if they can we can but not with Fran.

Actually I would like a very good or excellent coach. Not just a pretty good one. One who knows what it takes to win in this conference and in the post season. Not counting the first three years after Lackluster they have faded most every year. The last 16 games of every year were .500 or below except one year. That year they were 9-7 and they had a dream match up with Davidson which was perfect for them. Last year was cut short but they were 6-6 in the last 12 games. They are not over .500 in those last 16 games total even excluding the first 3 years. If you play 33 to 35 games a year and nearly the last half you are fading out while others are ramping up for the post season you are doing something wrong. You play to get to the conference tourney and NCAA. It sucks to play and then towards the end you are not a player and you are not to be taken seriously and you know it is over.

You get stomped so many times when you get to a big game. Michigan, Gonzaga, Villanova, Duke, Pudue, whatever. This Michigan game was pulling away where others where 19 point games where Iowa was down nearly 30 at one point and made it more respectable.

Many times we are up and down showing Fran is slow to adjust. We get down by these big ass margins in some big games. Even if you come back against Cincinnati it is a bad sign. You should not keep getting buried and stop runs better. Against a better team they were not making that comeback. Slower to react and make adjustments Fran and his staff will never go far in the postseason. Too slow you lose a game and you are done. Too late to figure it out after the game when you are one and done.

Face it, his championship defense video aside, this team hasn't played better defense till year 9 lol! Since his teams are not conditioned as well as others they fade physically and can't keep up that defense late in the year anyhow. Not happy their hands are not up all the time but they don't seem to have the wind to do it. Why do other teams not wear down and are rounding into shape for the postseason and we get worn down even with a deep bench?

Also see the good but not great coaching. Teams that don't pass well and have trouble inbounding, pass off the back foot too much and throw some bad or incorrect types of passes. Conner is a good passer and the rest of team very very average. Yet Conner gets this rep as a great passer but just the best on this so-so passing team.

They finally should have a good record down the stretch this year but with most likely the player of the year hopefully they should. Still, they are only 5-5 in the last ten games! Where have I seen this before.

For my liking, I think Fran has run his course. How many years do you need to see the same thing with the slow learning. Even with some better defense they still are far from great with foot work and not conditioned for a post season run. Face it if Garza was a better physical specimen would he be here? How many real, not just lucky to have him get to you POY types are you gonna get under Fran?

I want more than the so-so fundamentals, not B1G caliber conditioned, always not in the discussion when the post season comes around type of team. A coach who can adjust on the fly better. Admit it, by far the most games where it is close one half then totally not in the other half esp. in bigger games. Too many once they figure us out and adjust we are down near 20 and it is over. I want smarter quicker counter adjustments and staying in more big games.

Long rant but could have just said he just isn't more than average or good in any aspect and Iowa has not been worth mentioning or going anywhere in any post season tournament except the one NIT but that was at home and we still lost the home game in overtime. I want to go somewhere. Under Fran we are not going anywhere. So time for Fran to go. Wasting the Garza years is enough to show the ceiling is hit and another few years is not gonna change anything. Winning 20 games with a pretty weak non-con and by some time in Feb. you are a non-factor is not what I think the ceiling for Iowa should be.
Well, you're moving the goalposts on what is considered a Fran Fade. Picking a different arbitrary spot in the schedule every year.

Not having the full services of CJ clearly contributed to losses vs Illinois, Indiana and Ohio State. We will see what impact Nunge's absence has.

Ridiculous post.

People like you are why Nebraska fired good coaches like Solich and Pelini, and kept hiring complete wastes of space like Frost, Reilly, and Callahan.

Now they’re in an unrecoverable death spiral because no one worth their weight in hen shit will go to coach there. That administration decided it couldn’t live with 10 wins a year and slit its own throat because it thought it was something blessed by the football gods...well it ain’t.

And neither is Iowa. We are who we are recruiting wise and coaching isn’t gonna change that. Especially when you’re playing Russian roulette in hiring because for every Coach K out there, there’s 200 Lickliters. Jesus Christ man.

The “fire a guy who kept a Big Ten basketball team top 5 nationally” hot take is the most ridiculous fucking thing in college basketball.

Haven’t really paid as much attention as in years past, mostly cause it feels kinda like Groundhog Day with both programs (football).

we seem to have potential, beat some good teams, then go through a slump, and feels like we limp into the NCAA when we make it....that must be from crapping out of every Big10 tourney.

im really disappointed Fran can’t recruit a decent PG. that seems to be our missing piece, that and not playing defense so every team shoots 99% from three

Well (Ronald Reagan imitation) Championship defense video really please tell me you are being sarcastic (love that term love your sarcasm and I just met ya) I have read some wise persons comments on other threads on how Iowa basketball sucked big ones prior to Fran true statement however the logic was really sucked backed then but Franny Boy was the Phoenix Bird that flew out of the ruins? Really well if you please allow me to give a simple analogy here. So I have a 74 Pontiac with absolutely no floor boards (LickDicker) So I went out and bought a 76 Pontiac with only floor boards on the passenger side (Franny Boy) sounds like Iowa fans you are happy as clam. Good luck in justifying"well it could be worse and gosh who else can we get" sounds allot like the football scenario to me.

Ridiculous post.

People like you are why Nebraska fired good coaches like Solich and Pelini, and kept hiring complete wastes of space like Frost, Reilly, and Callahan.

Now they’re in an unrecoverable death spiral because no one worth their weight in hen shit will go to coach there. That administration decided it couldn’t live with 10 wins a year and slit its own throat because it thought it was something blessed by the football gods...well it ain’t.

And neither is Iowa. We are who we are recruiting wise and coaching isn’t gonna change that. Especially when you’re playing Russian roulette in hiring because for every Coach K out there, there’s 200 Lickliters. Jesus Christ man.

The “fire a guy who kept a Big Ten basketball team top 5 nationally” hot take is the most ridiculous fucking thing in college basketball.

Well with your kind of thinking we would never win anything. Ever. We'd just be stuck as a perpetually average team that wins nothing.

Coaching change won't change recruiting? How so? The buck stops with Fran even if its not him doing the scouting.

Fran kept the Hawkeyes a top 5 team nationally? How so? We are 17-7 and have had some horrible losses. I don't know if you have been watching the games but we are not anywhere near a top 5 team.

I think this is a solid post. The only thing is I don't believe you can fire him based off the fact he will have Iowa in the NCAAs 3 out of the last 4 years (we would have been there last year). But, if he decided to go coach back East, I would not shed a tear.

And, I think if he does not get Iowa into the Sweet 16 or higher to end the year.....he is not in any danger of being fired (nor should he be) but, I think it will come back to haunt him in a few years.

Well with your kind of thinking we would never win anything. Ever. We'd just be stuck as a perpetually average team that wins nothing.

Coaching change won't change recruiting? How so? The buck stops with Fran even if its not him doing the scouting.

Fran kept the Hawkeyes a top 5 team nationally? How so? We are 17-7 and have had some horrible losses. I don't know if you have been watching the games but we are not anywhere near a top 5 team.
Bullshit.

We’ve been top 5 in the net rankings for a hell of a long time (6th after the Michigan game) and that’s the only one that matters. AP poll is fucking stupid and 100% irrelevant.

And if you wanna roll the dice on a new coach after a season like this and end up like Nebraska be my guest. You’ve got about a 1 in 200 chance of doing better. Hope you like Lickliters and Alfords.

The college basketball landscape is a cesspool. If you're at at school like Iowa, you would have to pay (cheat) to get to the top. For what we want to be, a school that graduates players and keep its nose clean, we aren't going to get to where you think we should be.

Look at all of the schools caught up in the Adidas scandal. Coaches like Sean Miller at Arizona, Bill Self at Kansas and others go scot-free even when caught red handed paying players. The NCAA looks the other way because it would harm the brand. Fran has said in the past that he has had to pass on players that were expecting "something". If you think we are skyrocketing to the top of the college BB world, you are mistaken.

Ridiculous post.

Iowa has already done that to the basketball program. Tom Davis and getting to the NCAA tournament every year wasn't good enough. Fans demanded that Bowlsby hire a coach that could get Iowa to the next level, Alford was supposed to be that guy and Iowa started sliding backwards. Here we are 22 years later and Iowa still hasn't been back to the Sweet 16. Now there is a certain segment of the fan base that wants to "slit the throat" on the basketball program once again. My guess is some of these fans must forget what happened 22 years ago or are not old enough to remember.

Fran is in line for a huge raise.
No way. We should fire him and hire some guy who won a couple Mid Upper Southeast Central Northwest Mid Major Conference titles and made the dance on an obscure auto bid three years ago because he’s the next defensive guru diamond in the rough and John Beilein said he was a good coach one time.

Maybe we can see if Butler’s coach is lookin’ around...

Cause all that shit usually works.

Latest posts