First round NCAA tourney loss?

Iowa has already done that to the basketball program. Tom Davis and getting to the NCAA tournament every year wasn't good enough. Fans demanded that Bowlsby hire a coach that could get Iowa to the next level, Alford was supposed to be that guy and Iowa started sliding backwards. Here we are 22 years later and Iowa still hasn't been back to the Sweet 16. Now there is a certain segment of the fan base that wants to "slit the throat" on the basketball program once again. My guess is some of these fans must forget what happened 22 years ago or are not old enough to remember.
Alford is currently receiving a dose of thunder road at Utah State.

As for Davis, it was his refusal to put effort into recruiting elite in state talent, as well as his lax handling of Chris Kingsbury's off the court problems, that ultimately showed him the door.

Say what you want about Alford, but had he come along ten years earlier I can guarantee you he would have got at least two of the in state recruits that Roy Williams poached.

Williams had no problem finding Monona Iowa on a map. Or Iowa Falls.

Iowa has already done that to the basketball program. Tom Davis and getting to the NCAA tournament every year wasn't good enough. Fans demanded that Bowlsby hire a coach that could get Iowa to the next level, Alford was supposed to be that guy and Iowa started sliding backwards. Here we are 22 years later and Iowa still hasn't been back to the Sweet 16. Now there is a certain segment of the fan base that wants to "slit the throat" on the basketball program once again. My guess is some of these fans must forget what happened 22 years ago or are not old enough to remember.
In all honesty, lots of us thought Alford was a great hire. Who knew he was such a dick. And, yeah, I loved Mr. Davis. Never should have been let go. With many coaches I recall the old saying, “Familiarity breeds contempt.”

In all honesty, lots of us thought Alford was a great hire. Who knew he was such a dick. And, yeah, I loved Mr. Davis. Never should have been let go. With many coaches I recall the old saying, “Familiarity breeds contempt.”
I bought into the hype too,it was a lesson learned the hard way.

Fran is in line for a huge raise.

GOOD GRIEF... Both sides need to pump the brakes a bit.
It was a good win - possibly best of Frans era - but there have been far more horrible losses to justify scuffing up ur knees.

It’s stupid to want to fire him (NOT to feel we could do as good or better) just like it’s stupid to open up the vault for average to slightly above average performance.

For fucks sake, ALL need to temper perspective and get out from behind the mask.

GOOD GRIEF... Both sides need to pump the brakes a bit.
It was a good win - possibly best of Frans era - but there have been far more horrible losses to justify scuffing up ur knees.

It’s stupid to want to fire him (NOT to feel we could do as good or better) just like it’s stupid to open up the vault for average to slightly above average performance.

For fucks sake, ALL need to temper perspective and get out from behind the mask.
He’s continually placing higher in the conference than he’s getting paid. He’s in line for one regardless of what happens the remainder of the season. Fran is very good for Iowa basketball. They know it. We all know it. He’s a winner. He’s producing quality players. He hasn’t won enough for me, but Iowa isn’t giving that up. He can win here. Hes proven it. He’s about as far from being fired as a coach could possibly get. He holds the cards right now, Iowa doesn’t pay him near enough.

At the time, Alford was seen as the next big-time coach and if Bowlsby not have landed him, the pitchforks would've come out. It would've been bigger than losing out on Stoops.

So funny that we are in the midst of the best season over 30 years and there are still fire the coach threads. It's even funnier that the best season in over 30 years is coming during a year where the conference is possibly the beat conference there has been in 30 years and it's still not good enough.

Eh, yeah. I was thinking last night that this is the highest Iowa has been ranked consistently over the course of an entire season since what, the late 80's? 1988-89? 1986-87?

I would be pissed about a first round loss too, but this thread is out to lunch.

Last edited:

Latest posts