First round NCAA tourney loss?

Why do we gotta do this shit after every damn loss???? You do realize that Iowa did win their previous FOUR games and they were playing one of the best teams in the country last night.
Guess you didn't want to answer the question.

Iowa could lose every remaining regular season game, get bounced in the first round of the B1G tournament, then lose in the First Four, and Fran would still not be fired.

Do people not remember how awful this program was when Fran took over? It would take multiple losing seasons for him to be fired, as it should. At this point, he's earned that much.

I do think Fran needs a Sweet 16 or better to point to something beyond the rebuilding stage. This is arguably his best team assembled. If they don't do it this year, when will they under him?

Again, I don't think you can fire him. I think it is very reasonable to have Iowa in the NCAAs 3 out of every 4 years. He will accomplish that feat this year. They would have been there last year, so I'm counting that as an appearance in spirit.

But, he has to have something to sell to the kids. Luka's attention this year can be a selling point to a future big time player looking to come to Iowa to make the NBA. But, no big team accomplishments in over a decade I think also will be noticed.

He needs a signature accomplishment beyond a rebuild.

bull shit
Not bull shit.......see above post. He needs to be able to sell something to recruits beyond a rebuild. He may get some millage out of Luka, but only for so long.

I think things get murky for him if he loses in the first or 2nd round. He will not be fired, he should not be fired. But, I'm looking 2 or 3 years out. Next year they could very well be a bubble team or get in as a 7-10 and get bounced quick. Say they get bounced quick this year and miss it next year or get bounced quick again.

How will covid effect future attendance (how many fans will come back to Carver post-covid) and apathy of underachieving?

How long will Barta continue to be the AD? Also a factor.

Last edited:
Not bull shit.......see above post. He needs to be able to sell something to recruits beyond a rebuild. He may get some millage out of Luka, but only for so long.

I think things get murky for him if he loses in the first or 2nd round. He will not be fired, he should not be fired. But, I'm looking 2 or 3 years out. Next year they could very well be a bubble team or get in as a 7-10 and get bounced quick. Say they get bounced quick this year and miss it next year or get bounced quick again.

How will covid effect future attendance (how many fans will come back to Carver post-covid) and apathy of underachieving?

How long will Barta continue to be the AD? Also a factor.
I don't disagree with your last statement, Hayden. But your view that Fran may be in trouble, or deserves to be, is still bull shit.

I don't disagree with your last statement, Hayden. But your view that Fran may be in trouble, or deserves to be, is still bull shit.
I don't think he would be in any immediate trouble. But, I would look it as Stage 1 or 2 Cancer that will grow in time. That is just a guess. I don't think he deserves to be in trouble.....if he digs himself out of it (in the hypothetical Iowa gets bounced early this year). Just not sure if he can if he can't have a tangible accomplishment in the post season to end this year.

I don't think he would be in any immediate trouble. But, I would look it as Stage 1 or 2 Cancer that will grow in time. That is just a guess. I don't think he deserves to be in trouble.....if he digs himself out of it (in the hypothetical Iowa gets bounced early this year). Just not sure if he can if he can't have a tangible accomplishment in the post season to end this year.
You’re comparing coaching to cancer. Really?

You’re comparing coaching to cancer. Really?
And you are getting your panties in a bunch over that? The word "cancer" has been used to describe many problems in the locker room....like he or she was a cancer on the team and needed to go.

I guess I could have compared Fran to black mold if he can't have any top end success this year and moving forward.....but that does not sound right for someone who was once called white magic. ;)

I also could have called it a potential ticking time bomb.

Or, how about just not getting the job done for achieving top end success.

Take your pick in the hypothetical.

Just to be clear, I don't think Fran deserves to be fired or should be fired for an early bounce. He is earning his keep......my main reaction to this thread is an early bounce could hurt Fran down the road.

Last edited:
He is not getting fired. He brings in good dudes. There are no rapists. There are no drug dealers. He wins more than he loses. His teams score a lot.

And Barta is a piece of shit who wouldnt fire anyone.

As much as I wish for a Lute Olson type of season, we are not getting it. We get some really good mid major type ball with character dudes.