First game surprises

The Clarinda Center of Iowa Western Community College is located on eight acres in east Clarinda, adjacent to the city park and fairgrounds.

3 more years of Linderbaum anchoring the Oline, Petras @ QB and the skill player depth we now have. Hell yeah.
If he stays 3 more years. He's small for an NFL lineman, but Cs can be a little smaller and succeed. And he has ALL the intangibles. Apparently really smart to learn the 2nd most complicated position in 9 months. Aggressive and nasty. Moves out to the 2nd level well. Can effectively pull from C, or lead screens. And he must have an insane work ethic as he was having trouble with shotgun snaps earlier in preseason, but the Hawks ran more shotgun than I can remember and every snap was money.

If he stays 3 more years. He's small for an NFL lineman, but Cs can be a little smaller and succeed. And he has ALL the intangibles. Apparently really smart to learn the 2nd most complicated position in 9 months. Aggressive and nasty. Moves out to the 2nd level well. Can effectively pull from C, or lead screens. And he must have an insane work ethic as he was having trouble with shotgun snaps earlier in preseason, but the Hawks ran more shotgun than I can remember and every snap was money.
The way he and Schott got upfield on Mekhi's long screen was impressive.

That's a lot of beef that was moving.

Toren Young is the solid number two running back and he and Sargent give us an above avg 1-2 punch. Later 2nd half Goodson and Sargent with more speed could carve up a tired defense. But we will need Young to get some tough yards and soften up the opponent each game.

He also will be used quite a bit in goal line I believe. He might have nice TD numbers at years end but I think Sargent and Goodson will have the yards.

but no Beth Mowins...so there is that!

Do you think she would have obsessed about Kinnick's new turf and the old turf replaced being rock hard like Robert Smith. What the F was up with that? Like let it go Robert. WTF!!

He acts like this year Iowa went from hard Astro turf to prescription turf. He kept saying he remembers playing on he old turf that got replaced and "It was sooooo hard!".They merely got the prescription turf replaced with new prescription turf this year because they changed the draining.

We've been hearing the hype, but I was still surprised on how well Linderbaum played.

I thought the same thing. No missed hikes. He was bulldozing people. He's going to be a good one and prob 1st round pick after all said and done.

Anyone else notice the National Championship banner(s) outside of Kinnick? I only saw the one for 1921 but I assume there are 3 more. The school now claims 4.

I was a bit surprise by the two and three tight end sets. I shouldn't have been. Iowa has the personnel, even if they are inexperienced. It gives opponents one more thing to think about.

I was a bit surprised that the 4-2-5 scheme bit the dust as quickly as it did. D. J. Johnson probably needs to have some time on the field as cornerback before taking on the CASH position. Also with both Brents and Moss out both the 4-2-5 and dime packages are left a bit undermanned. I suspect we will eventually see more 4-2 5 as the season wears on though.

I was a bit surprised that the 4-2-5 scheme bit the dust as quickly as it did. D. J. Johnson probably needs to have some time on the field as cornerback before taking on the CASH position. Also with both Brents and Moss out both the 4-2-5 and dime packages are left a bit undermanned. I suspect we will eventually see more 4-2 5 as the season wears on though.
Miami also played a lot of 11 and even 21 or 12 personnel on top of leaving them in to protect Gabbert, which suits the 4-3 much better than the 4-2-5.

I would say that they just wanted DJ to calm down and not get torched in his first start, so they eased him into things.

Latest posts