First Game at Kinnick v. Bison

HawkI4eva

I've been a lifelong Hawkeye fan! I grew up in Iowa until 1988 then moved up to the Fargo area and have been here since. 8 of my buddies and I will be venturing to Kinnick on Friday the 16th for the game. I was just wondering if I could get some advice on Tailgating and decent bars that will accept my Bison friends. These may sound like stupid questions but we dont know much about tailgating up here, Im going to assume it will pale in comparison! You do have to pay to get into the tailgating area in Fargo, just wondering if its the same at Kinnick? Also, if you dont have a set up there can u buy beer/food from vendors in the area? Any great/cant miss food places in Iowa City? Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer!

Go Hawks!

It's been a while since I have been back to Iowa City, but for the most part, your bison buddies will be fine and accepted wherever they go. I don't think you have to pay to tailgate anywhere. At least I didn't when I was last there. I don't think there are any vendors selling beer, but there is plenty food to go around. Gotta get a Big Ass Turkey Leg. As far as food goes, you can't go wrong with the Airliner or Pagliai's (pronounced pawlee-eyes) for some good pizza. The Vine in Coralville has great wings/bar food. There is also a decent Buffalo Wild Wings downtown. The best breakfast in town is definitely Hamburg Inn. As far as the bar scene goes, Brother's, Mickey's, the Field House and Old Capitol Brewery (formerly Fitzpatrick's) were some of my favorites. Hope this helps and you and your buds have a good time!

You don't have to pay to tailgate, you can tailgate pretty much anywhere there is open space. Most people do it by their car. The flip side of this is everything is extremely spread out on gameday. You're going to have to walk a bit to get places. Parking usually runs $20 in official lots. If you want to park close I recommend the Finkbine Golf Course parking lot (shouldn't be hard to find with Google). You can't get much closer without donating an obscene amound of money.

What I recommend, however is taking the Hawkeye Express. It lets off right next to the stadium, and parking is free. The train itself boards in Coralville somewhere around 2671 James St, Coralville, IA 52241. $12/ticket, round trip.

As for things to do, hit up Melrose Ave just south of the stadium. Thats where the food and clothing vendors worth their salt are.

As far as bars, I rec The Vine, but going a different direction into downtown Iowa City, just about everything will be fine. However, like I said earlier, if you are set on hitting up a bar or two, you are likely going to end up walking a ways.

Most of the places you tailgate will be a BYOB situation and you will have to pay for them. The best places to tailgate (IMO) will be permit only, such as the Melrose area closest to the stadium. You might be able to find a pay spot up there if you are lucky though, just expect to pay (a lot) for it. If I were you, I would go to the Finkbine Commuter ($20/car I believe and you can even park RVs in there for a higher cost) lot as that is a huge lot and you shouldn't have any problem getting in there (getting out will be another story) as long as you get there early, probably best to be there no later than 7. It's a good tailgating lot though. I haven't been to a tailgate in Fargo but I can't imagine it being vastly superior to Iowa City.

As far as the bar/restaurant scene goes, Herkeye's suggestions are pretty spot on. If you want to mix it up with the college kids, go to downtown IC. It will be insane and there are dozens of bars to choose from on every block. If not, Coralville has plenty of options. The Iowa River Landing area is pretty good if you like craft beer - 30 Hop has a ton of taps and a huge outdoor patio and Backpocket Brewing is decent too. DO NOT drive if you drink though. The cops will be all over and some of the streets in IC can be confusing. You will be taking a big chance if you do.

You and your boys are going to have a blast. Like mentioned above, the Hawkeye Express train is an easy way in and out of the stadium. No pay for tailgating. I wouldn't recommend walking around or down Melrose Ave en route with an open container. Unless it changed this year, the last couple years they buckled down on that and the ICPD were OK giving out open container tickets. Be respectful and don't cause a scene when walking around and you'll be fine. I don't think any Iowa fans will bother you unless your acting like a jackal. If your cordial you will be fine and enjoy it.

It's one of those special places to tailgate. No beer vendors so BYOB. I don't think they allow glass bottles so only canned drinks or plastic cups. I think most Iowa fans are excited to have the Bison's come to town. A top notch FCS program. We can relate to UNI. Enjoy your day at and around Historic Kinnick Stadium. I hope your buddies can leave somewhat of an Iowa fan and continue to follow the Hawks throughout the season!

From everything I understand and have seen, ICPD relaxed on open containers after the noticable drop in attendence at the start of last year.

I haven't seen anyone being cited yet this year through both games.

We tailgate at the Hancher Auditorium lot - byob - lots of fun. You are welcome - even share a beverage with you guys - most Hawk fans are very decent and wont give you guys any grief.

The best spot I've found the last few years is 1 block south of Melrose. Just before crossing the bridge east to the stadium there is a gravel alley that goes south through some wooded area. At the end is a very large apartment complex with a tailgate crew that brings a 8 keg UPS truck converted entertainment system with concert speakers, big screen tv, cop dispenser, and spread of food 10 feet long. they take donations to get yourself a cup, eat all the food, and play tippy cup under their 2 tents. Even have a converted dirt bike handle grip and motor converted to a margarita blender. Real terrible time......

I've been a lifelong Hawkeye fan! I grew up in Iowa until 1988 then moved up to the Fargo area and have been here since. 8 of my buddies and I will be venturing to Kinnick on Friday the 16th for the game. I was just wondering if I could get some advice on Tailgating and decent bars that will accept my Bison friends. These may sound like stupid questions but we dont know much about tailgating up here, Im going to assume it will pale in comparison! You do have to pay to get into the tailgating area in Fargo, just wondering if its the same at Kinnick? Also, if you dont have a set up there can u buy beer/food from vendors in the area? Any great/cant miss food places in Iowa City? Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer!

Go Hawks!
You wouldn't happen to be SDbison would you?

Latest posts