First four practices, every snap no huddle

IIRC, last years uptempo/no huddle was snapping the ball with 12-15 seconds left as opposed to the 3-5 seconds (I think I just heard Oregon chuckle). So, not exactly the quickest pace; but if it gives us an advantage over the D, then I'm in. It looked pretty good in the spring game.

Consider this guy excited.

Jon... I'm just curious as to why you seem shocked by this? Did you really think Kirk was just BS'ing everybody? The coaches made it clear during the spring that they got together and realized they needed to make some serious changes. This type of change before last season would have shocked me, but after the travesty we saw on offense last year and the comments the coaches made during the spring I fully expected this to be the case.

I know Kirk is conservative. I know he's stubborn. However, I'm pretty sure he isn't blind, and he wants to win games. He saw the same thing everyone else saw last year. What they tried on offense was atrocious. The second it became clear that Kirk was keeping GD around and he confirmed that they needed to make some changes I assumed that meant he's going to take off the leash and let Greg do his thing. Specially after what we saw in the spring games. I'm not sure why it's so shocking that they're moving in this direction.

By the way Eda, I'm pretty excited as well. Creating mismatches and catching the defense with their pants down is the direction football is headed. Either get on board with it or get out. That doesn't mean there isn't a place for a power running attack as it can be incorporated into a no huddle offense pretty easily. If the Hawks are going to run no huddle the majority of the time it will be a huge asset having such a deep stable of running backs and TE's.

Dude, maybe I'm old school but why is no huddle soooo much the saviour for hawkeye football and sooo much better than a huddle????

They will do the no huddle, but will still probably lose a game due to not calling a timeout before kicking a field goal.

Dude, maybe I'm old school but why is no huddle soooo much the saviour for hawkeye football and sooo much better than a huddle????

I'm old school as well, but really it's not any different than huddling. You don't have to run it fast paced. Why do you need to huddle when it has become so easy for a QB to make the calls at the line of scrimmage? That's why I like that the Hawks are going to it. Depending on the game situation the can run it however fast they want to. It keeps the defense off balance and if they aren't ready then the offense can take advantage of that. Huddling up is an advantage for a defense.

Not to mention the advantages it presents when you consider the fact Iowa's defense is practicing against it every day. I think that's key as well.

Jon... I'm just curious as to why you seem shocked by this? Did you really think Kirk was just BS'ing everybody? .

Because in 1999, they ran one type of offense all spring and then scrapped it come August camp and went a different way.

The main page media running blog (at the time of this post) is emitting a very confident vibe from the coaches.

Now if we could figure out how to throw the ball more than 3 yards we might be in business.

Because in 1999, they ran one type of offense all spring and then scrapped it come August camp and went a different way.

That was 15 years ago and his first year as Iowa's head coach with no feeling for the players he was inheriting. Not a very valid comparison.

I believe he also stated that they were running a lot of the pistol formation. IF this is the case, does that give Sokol the edge at QB?

Bryce Miller just tweeted this out....per Greg Davis.

I am shocked...I guess I didn't believe the spring fling was going to translate into that in fall camp. You don't do this in fall camp an not do it in games.
Absolutely shocked too. I thought it was lip service. I think that could help us win a game or 2. Opposing teams will actually have to scout us and prepare for our offense.

Latest posts