First four practices, every snap no huddle

I'm old school as well, but really it's not any different than huddling. You don't have to run it fast paced. Why do you need to huddle when it has become so easy for a QB to make the calls at the line of scrimmage? That's why I like that the Hawks are going to it. Depending on the game situation the can run it however fast they want to. It keeps the defense off balance and if they aren't ready then the offense can take advantage of that. Huddling up is an advantage for a defense.

Not to mention the advantages it presents when you consider the fact Iowa's defense is practicing against it every day. I think that's key as well.

This is a good point. We can still take as long as we want at the line without a huddle BUT the defense has to respect the threat that we are at the line and could hike the ball. We control when we hike it, and that puts pressure on the defense to hurry. Maybe they won't be able to sub either.

I believe he also stated that they were running a lot of the pistol formation. IF this is the case, does that give Sokol the edge at QB?

Do you have a link to that? That would very much favor Sokol. He looks durable enough to run without risking injury too much, not sure about other two. That makes me wonder if they are thinking about a two QB system.

Last edited:
Yes, up tempo is putting pressure on the other teams D, that's exactly what the Patriots and Broncos do, check out which NFL teams had the most snaps per game last year. By not huddling you are already setting the pace as an O, this is exactly what up tempo means.

His point still stands. If you snap the ball with 10 seconds left on the play clock when you go out of the huddle, and then you're still snapping with 10 second left while going no-huddle, your tempo hasn't changed. You just look different while essentially doing the same thing. No-huddle does NOT necessarily mean up-tempo; but a true up-tempo team will always use the no-huddle.

If you watched 30 seconds of our no-huddle last year, you should understand this concept quite well.

Even if they huddle some in games this is good for the defense to practice against as probably half the teams we will play will go no huddle during the year. Uptempo or not I just think it helps the team both offensively and defensively. So based off of that it is a good thing.

Huddle or no huddle you still have to execute. If they pass, block and catch like last season all an uptempo offense will mean is a very tired Iowa defense and a punter that sets an NCAA record for attempts...

I've never witnessed, so many misguided interpretations of what no huddle/uptempo means.

I highly doubt the reason for going no huddle will mean the Hawks walk up to the line, stand around for 25-30 seconds, and snap the ball. The entire intent of running no huddle is to read the defense and put pressure on the 11 men who are standing on opposing side of the field.

Watch the Broncos, watch the Patriots, where BF was a part of that scheme, and if anyone was at spring practice the O play calling was no huddle with quick intent. This is not a move you make to stand around. Even when you have a big play the O runs to where the ball is placed and quickly lines up, I guess in manys eyes this is not uptempo.

I've never witnessed, so many misguided interpretations of what no huddle/uptempo means.

I highly doubt the reason for going no huddle will mean the Hawks walk up to the line, stand around for 25-30 seconds, and snap the ball. The entire intent of running no huddle is to read the defense and put pressure on the 11 men who are standing on opposing side of the field.

Watch the Broncos, watch the Patriots, where BF was a part of that scheme, and if anyone was at spring practice the O play calling was no huddle with quick intent. This is not a move you make to stand around. Even when you have a big play the O runs to where the ball is placed and quickly lines up, I guess in manys eyes this is not uptempo.

What you describe is uptempo. You seem to be confusing people's lack of faith in KF that that is what we'll actually see on Saturdays, with a failure to grasp what constitutes an uptempo offense.

We've seen Iowa go no-huddle and still piddle around. So until I see them run an actual uptempo offense in a game, I'm going to be a little skeptical. And I think a lot of people here are in the same boat.

Dude, maybe I'm old school but why is no huddle soooo much the saviour for hawkeye football and sooo much better than a huddle????

Dude, don't you remember how good the Bengals were when Sam Wyche and Boomer Esiason started using it all the time a few years ago? This is a revolutionary, game changing strategy. The days of Iowa lining up and just rolling over a defense behind a great offensive line are over, now we're going to copy what Fitz has done over at Northwestern to cover up his massive talent deficiencies.

I am hoping for four paces from the team which would make it difficult to get ready for.

1) huddle - I like being a team that can huddle as there are times it is useful.
2) no huddle slow - go to the line and have the box call down to switch the play at the line. Something many no huddle teams use.
3) no huddle fast - this is the uptempo usually thought to be the no huddle. The two are not as synonymous as people think.
4) 2 min drill - this is faster and more efficient than your typical no huddle. Formations rarely change and players rarely motion or change sides to be as efficient as possible.

Latest posts