First Conference Win?

Most of the interior points were against pemsl and Garza . Pemsl is only 6’8 can’t jump or move his feet but he tries . Garza can’t jump or move his feet but he tries . We are a MAC team playing in the big ten . Trust me they are trying but their ability has no business being in this league
Garza for being a freshman thrust into a starting role and being relied on for offense has done as well as can be expected. He will continue to get better. The problem is he isn't supposed to be a team leader. A contributor yes. It's the play of the sophs that is killing us. Pemsl like Uhl was more effective with the heavier weight. Pemsl is getting tossed around inside and giving up so many and ones. Only Cook is physical enough to be effective inside. Garza is not a finished project. Let him get some weight training and see next year what he can do. I kinda wish they sent this team to Doyle during the offseason. Most of the players don't have the pipes you see routinely from the competition. I just don't believe Fran is a believer in weight training.

Garza for being a freshman thrust into a starting role and being relied on for offense has done as well as can be expected. He will continue to get better. The problem is he isn't supposed to be a team leader. A contributor yes. It's the play of the sophs that is killing us. Pemsl like Uhl was more effective with the heavier weight. Pemsl is getting tossed around inside and giving up so many and ones. Only Cook is physical enough to be effective inside. Garza is not a finished project. Let him get some weight training and see next year what he can do. I kinda wish they sent this team to Doyle during the offseason. Most of the players don't have the pipes you see routinely from the competition. I just don't believe Fran is a believer in weight training.

Or Defense.

Is Garza going to get better in the same way that the rest of last year's freshmen are getting worse? Is he a good recruit in the same vein that most of these "good recruits" actually suck?

Makes you wonder now about what Wieskamp will do doesn't it?

Last edited:
wisconsin at home is the only game I see that we could possibly squeak out a win. Not very confident about it though. I'd say 40% chance to win.

At this point, who really cares if Iowa wins a game or two? Might as well go 0-18

It is going to take an awful night by an opponent for Iowa to win. Unfortunately Iowa is a slump buster team so other teams usually find their rhythm against them instead of struggle. When you shoot 50% and over 50% from 3 and still lose by 20 to a mediocre team, just mail it in the rest of the way.

Here is what I've found going back to 1990-91, coaches that won zero or 1 conference games.

0-18 Bill Foster NW returned
0-16 Kevin O'Neill NW let go
1-15 Jim O'Brien OSU returned
1-15 Ed DeChellis PSU returned
1-17 Ricky Byrdsong (RIP) NW returned
1-17 Bill Carmody NW returned
1-17 Tom Crean Indiana returned
1-17 Eddie Jordan Rutgers let go

Obviously Northwestern is a unique example, and Crean was in his first year after Indiana imploded the year previous. Jim O'Brien made up for it by cheating. But overall, it's been way more likely to return after a year like that then be fired. And we aren't going to go 1-17 or 0-18 anyway IMO, should win at least four somewhere in there. If I missed anyone feel free to correct me.

Foster, never one more than 3 Big games. Had 2 more years. His last year was his best.

O'Neil - Lifetime 35 percent conference win coach. Eventually at USC where he revived USC to 8 and 10 wins in conference before powering is way to a one win conference season. Fired for an altercation with a booster.

O'Brien - started at St. Bonnie where he started 10 and 4 and then powered his way to 25-29 in conference after that. At OSU did build things but went 13-19 his last two years. NCAA probation. A bunch of his success vacated.

Ed De Chellis - had a 10 and 9 win season after his 1 one win conf season. He also added a 2 win and 3 win Big season before leaving on his own following a 9-9 season.

Ricy Byrdsong- That was just a whole weird situation. RIP as stated.

Bill Carmody - Never had a 500 season or better in Conf. Same at Holy Cross since.

Tom Crean - Reached his pinnacle in years 3-4 and never got back at Marquette but was pretty decent (Fran like during best Iowa years). After really bad year at IU followed up with 2 first finishes Threw in some sub 500 years but nothing terrible.

Eddie Jordan - 8 conference wins in 3 years before getting let go for bolstering the team to 1 win.

The track record of coaches with such poor seasons does not equate with renewed or long term success except for Crean.

The record except for Crean would indicate cutting losses now---- if Iowa has 1 win or less which I doubt happens.

There is nothing in FMs past to indicate this will end well. At best a jr KF type coach without the stellar years. At worst this will end badly.

My guess this will end badly.

Thing is, this is Fran's program now. He's in year 8. I get that down years happen for most programs, but this goes well beyond a "down year". The coaches mentioned on that other list were either at Northwestern, or in year 1-2 at their new schools. Not nearly a decade in.

The fact that we're even discussing the possibility of an 0-18 season (no matter how remote the possibility) is troubling to say the least. Even Lick's worst year in the Big 10 was 4-14. Let THAT thought sink in for a minute. Maybe they'll get it together and win some down the stretch, but Fran's got some work to do to even get to 4-14.

Latest posts