First Coaches Poll of 2010 Released

It will be interesting to see how this team handles going from the hunter to the hunted. Traditionally Iowa has not had alot of success when they are not the sleeper (1985 being the exception). Hopefully the team can handle the role reversal and not get too caught up in their own press. High pre season rankings for Iowa always get me nervous.

Yawn. We haven't got past that yet? We were talking about one year 2005 when Iowa had to replace way too many pieces with underdeveloped underclassmen. Or, name me the years to which you are referring. There is just this general argument out there without any real thought as to the particulars to each ranking.

It will be interesting to see how this team handles going from the hunter to the hunted. Traditionally Iowa has not had alot of success when they are not the sleeper (1985 being the exception). Hopefully the team can handle the role reversal and not get too caught up in their own press. High pre season rankings for Iowa always get me nervous.

In 2005, Iowa started four new faces on the DL....two sophs and two freshmen...and they still could have easily been 9-2 in the regular season.

I dont think it has anything to do with handling the outside world. It had to do with a green DL. This year, they have a green OL...hopefully they can solve that issue.

Wouldn't 2003 and 2004 qualify as being 'the hunted' coming off Top 8 finishes?

Iowa was also a preseason ranked team last year coming off 9 wins...Kirk pointed that one out to me ;)

I'll be surprised if Nebraska stays in the top 25 all year. I do have a problem with Nebby being ahead of us. Other than that, it looks good.

I don't get this thinking, why would you ever want to be ranked lower? I wish Iowa was starting the season ranked number 1.

I guess I'd rather see us rise each week in the poll little by little instead of starting off high, lose a game, and tumble out.

Wouldn't 2003 and 2004 qualify as being 'the hunted' coming off Top 8 finishes?

No. We didn't start either of those seasons ranked, because everyone figured we were just some flash in the pan, and would fall back to mediocrity. Then they finally throw us a bone (ranking us in the preseason for 2005 and 2006), and we didn't live up to the hype.

I guess I'd rather see us rise each week in the poll little by little instead of starting off high, lose a game, and tumble out.

It's a lot easier to get back to the top though if you're falling from the top five than it is if you're falling from like 15th. With the BCS, rankings matter more than ever as it's possible to run the table yet finish behind another team just because they started the season ranked higher in the preseason polls.

It's a lot easier to get back to the top though if you're falling from the top five than it is if you're falling from like 15th. With the BCS, rankings matter more than ever as it's possible to run the table yet finish behind another team just because they started the season ranked higher in the preseason polls.

Which is precisely why I don't think polls should be released until after the 2nd week of October, when teams have played 5-6 games.

I don't particularly like the Huskers....

I'll be surprised if Nebraska stays in the top 25 all year. I do have a problem with Nebby being ahead of us. Other than that, it looks good.

but don't see how they don't stay ranked all year. Their road schedule is not difficult (Washington, K-State, Okie State, ISU, Texas A&M). They will probably be favored in every one of those. Home games with Western Kentucky, Idaho, South Dakota State, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, and Texas. Missouri is is the only team besides Texas that has the chance to even give them a game at home, the home schedule is extremely weak. There's 5 absolute lay-ups at home where they won't even need to play well to win.

I would guess 9-3 at worst and that would be losing to Texas, Okie State and perhaps A&M on the road.

The conference you play in helps out with this though. If you lose a non conference game but yet run the table in a named conference you'll have a better shot to finish higher in the BCS.

This makes no sense, unless you're trying to say Iowa has a better chance to win games ranked in the #10 to #14 range as compared to the #7 to #10 range which still doesn't make sense.

The higher a team is ranked the less likely it is for them to fall out.

I'm sorry, but i don't understand the rankings. I know this has been discussed but i dont understand how Nebraska is ahead of Iowa. Also, I know OU reloads, but they lose ALOT. Also, Oregon lost KEY players and they are still 11. I could be wrong, and that is why they play the games, but i think we are a little underrated.

I'm sorry, but i don't understand the rankings. I know this has been discussed but i dont understand how Nebraska is ahead of Iowa. Also, I know OU reloads, but they lose ALOT. Also, Oregon lost KEY players and they are still 11. I could be wrong, and that is why they play the games, but i think we are a little underrated.

Good God they are ranked 10th in the country, that isn't underrated, please don't play the no respect card this year, Iowa is getting the respect now they just have to prove it on the field.

Latest posts