Fire the Iowa marching band director!!! Our halftime shows are awful.

FoolishFellow

[video=youtube;DNe0ZUD19EE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNe0ZUD19EE[/video]

There is no reason why the Iowa marching band shouldn't be competing with Ohio State. Yet year after year we continue to play the same boring 70's/80's songs that nobody wants to hear. I honestly don't understand why Iowa has such an affinity for these awful baby boomer generation songs... Nobody wants to listen to it. The Iowa marching band will continue to be the biggest joke in the Big Ten until we step up our game and do something fresh and original...

And no that stupid Michael Jackson tribute show (That we do EVERY year) doesn't count.

I, along with most of the students around me, loved that.

If you're referring to the Michael Jackson tribute show... yes, that's fine. It's a great (but safe) show. But if you've been attending Iowa football games for the last eight years (or so) you see it every year and every year it's the exact same show.

I know sheet music is expensive to purchase, but we should have a big enough budget so that we don't have to repeat the same shows year after year. I'd love to hear/see something different... but we don't do it.

The Iowa marching band director is more safe/conservative than Todd Lickliter.

It is not just the marching band but everything with our pre-game and in-game has gotten stale as well.

The crowd has no energy to start because things have just gotten silly. Quit with the Nile Kinnick speech that you cannot hear and makes little sense. The band is pathetic. The sound system stinks. The new scoreboard stinks and is too small for actual replays and highlights.

We need more pump up music... Good jarring stuff. Highlights of great plays from previous games this season and past seasons. Show clips of legends like Sanders and Roth talking about taking someone's head off.

Stop with the semi animation. Give me the real Hawkeye semi running over a real Badger helmet. Be creative.

Stop with bringing in Herky on a platform that looks like it is going to topple. Let him run onto the field like he is ready to throw down or on a Harley.

I want more drums in the band banging to some cool beat like you hear at other big time programs as the players come out. Like a war beat if that makes sense.

Can Barta do anything right?

They are talented no doubt. Just wish they would do a tribute to someone who did NOT rape a minimum of 28 boys. It is unbelievable that the athletic dept. allowed this.

It is not just the marching band but everything with our pre-game and in-game has gotten stale as well.

The crowd has no energy to start because things have just gotten silly. Quit with the Nile Kinnick speech that you cannot hear and makes little sense. The band is pathetic. The sound system stinks. The new scoreboard stinks and is too small for actual replays and highlights.

We need more pump up music... Good jarring stuff. Highlights of great plays from previous games this season and past seasons. Show clips of legends like Sanders and Roth talking about taking someone's head off.

Stop with the semi animation. Give me the real Hawkeye semi running over a real Badger helmet. Be creative.

I want more drums in the band banging to some cool beat like you hear at other big time programs as the players come out. Like a war beat if that makes sense.

Can Barta do anything right?

I'm not sure I agree with removing the Nile Kinnick speech. Yes, it's somewhat hard to hear... and it's difficult to really grasp what it means unless someone gives you the context... but Kinnick is a historic Big 10 stadium and I understand why including clips like that are necessary.

The semi truck animation on the other hand seems to be getting more awful as time goes on.

Regarding video content packages I agree. The last really good one was:

[video=youtube;rvJ3oOmt5DE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvJ3oOmt5DE[/video]

But for good highlights you need a good football team.

I like the kinnick speech. It shows humility and class and illustrates why the very stadium we are standing in is name after him.

Keep in mind, these kids are new every 4 years. There is a tradition, which is big in the B1G, with the selection and it's their personal passage into hawkeye history.

They did slip up last week late in the game on playing 3rd down stop music, but that happens.

I'm more disappointed with whoever runs the music, and keeps the stats moving. It was the 3rd or 4th possession before any numbers appeared.

How much is the director making and how long has he been in the position?!?!?

Is he not motiveted to come up with new ground breaking routines???

Guys I love Kinnick but that speech has gotten old. There used to be a resounding applause for it and now it gets a couple of claps in my section. Can we not find something else to honor his name sake by? Then mix the speech in now and then.

You cannot even make out half of it? Is it really that impactful.

By in large we have to have the least viable atmosphere of any home game stadium that actually draws a crowd. It has gotten really bad. I cannot believe we pay the money we do for this lack of production and creativity.

There is no reason why the Iowa marching band shouldn't be competing with Ohio State. Yet year after year we continue to play the same boring 70's/80's songs that nobody wants to hear. I honestly don't understand why Iowa has such an affinity for these awful baby boomer generation songs... Nobody wants to listen to it. The Iowa marching band will continue to be the biggest joke in the Big Ten until we step up our game and do something fresh and original...

And no that stupid Michael Jackson tribute show (That we do EVERY year) doesn't count.

Vin is that you??? Ghost??? They're back......???? Maybe there is some life back up in here!!!:D

The band was great. You should be fired from this board.

What is the band director's buyout? Can we get some fat-cat donors to open their wallets?

It is hard to recruit high caliber marching band members to Iowa City. The state of Iowa produces very few and we are forced to go out of state in order to compete. Our failure to have trumpet players to move to the next level after they graduate has made it particularly difficult to recruit for that critical position.

ThreadDelivers2.jpg

The scores we use aren't high enough. Other bands play music that is scored higher. We need to play scores higher and faster, like Oregon or Baylor's bands.

A bit off topic, but the gameday atmosphere and "entertainment" is pretty bad. As for entertainment, I mean whoever is in charge of the scoreboard and updating the stats. We have a brand new scoreboard and every time I look at the stats, it is incorrect or not working at all. Probably can't blame that on a specific person, but so far that new scoreboard has been a complete fail. The refs microphone doesn't work all the time, either. No idea who is in charge of that department, but they aren't doing a good job.

3rd downs you usually try to get the crowd into it. The new song they do this year is terrible when it comes to trying to get the fans up and screaming. Sure, you shouldn't need help from a sound system, but every little bit helps.
A lot of times there are extended periods of quietness where the band isn't playing and there isn't anything coming from the speakers.

There's just so many improvements that can be made. And I haven't even started with the concessions yet... but that can wait for another day.

A bit off topic, but the gameday atmosphere and "entertainment" is pretty bad. As for entertainment, I mean whoever is in charge of the scoreboard and updating the stats. We have a brand new scoreboard and every time I look at the stats, it is incorrect or not working at all. Probably can't blame that on a specific person, but so far that new scoreboard has been a complete fail. The refs microphone doesn't work all the time, either. No idea who is in charge of that department, but they aren't doing a good job.

3rd downs you usually try to get the crowd into it. The new song they do this year is terrible when it comes to trying to get the fans up and screaming. Sure, you shouldn't need help from a sound system, but every little bit helps.
A lot of times there are extended periods of quietness where the band isn't playing and there isn't anything coming from the speakers.

There's just so many improvements that can be made. And I haven't even started with the concessions yet... but that can wait for another day.

The north end scoreboard has been a MASSIVE fail. Not only does it not work except for the ads of course. The amount of stat space is minuscule and the screens on each end are a joke in terms of their size. They should have filled in that open space with screen space between each end.

I already had a shaky feel of Barta and his ability to make decisions. This really cements that we have an issue when you do something so shotty.

I can't wait until basketball season because that band gives me someh hope that we won't be the laughing stock of the big 10.

Latest posts