Final 8 Game Prediction

I know there is a chance we will lose to Penn State but we are SO much better than them.

I dont disagree but road games in the Big are never easy. Our final 3 road games are against teams that are playing really well at home..

I think the over/under is 6-2. And that's probably about right...2 road losses. If they are somehow able to play as well on both ends of the court as the last 2 games they will go 8-0.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion but the 4-4 predictions are ridiculous IMO...assuming no injuries. We've had zero bad losses and 4-4 means 2 bad losses. And we're playing our best basketball of the season right now.

Well...if we keep shooting over 60% I really like our chances for at least 6-2. Here's where I'm optimistic, the last two games we have given up 55 and 54. I don't think this team is going to wilt down the stretch defensively like they did last year...it actually appears to be getting better each game. When you are doing that, you can win games as we have enough offense to get by.

The other thing is that shooting gets contagious, and guys start expecting it to go in. The team is also not forcing things and taking bad shots...also a good sign. Gesell has done a wonderful job running the team...he's way under appreciated for the way he's played the past two games. He's been very solid and in control.

I think the over/under is 6-2. And that's probably about right...2 road losses. If they are somehow able to play as well on both ends of the court as the last 2 games they will go 8-0.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion but the 4-4 predictions are ridiculous IMO...assuming no injuries. We've had zero bad losses and 4-4 means 2 bad losses. And we're playing our best basketball of the season right now.
This!

5-3 seems the most realistic. Probably a slight hedge on my part to cover for the disappointment of a loss that we hope won't happen, but experience says it will.

7-1 is my guess. They have some mojo right now. Really seem to be getting in a groove and gaining confidence. I think they lose @ Indiana and that's it.

In my opinion, it comes down to Jok and Uthoff making shots and Gesell remaining aggressive. You pretty much know what you're going to get from White, Woodbury, and Olaseni. Those guys are pretty consistent. If Mike G. can keep managing the games like he has been, and Jok and Uthoff keep knocking down open shots I wouldn't be shocked to see this team win the remainder of the games in conference. I don't expect them to, but I wouldn't be shocked. They should be favored in every one except possibly Indiana.

So Iowa has gone 2-1 in what I think most everyone thought was going to be the final real test of the season. I had them going 0-3.. So to finish 2-1 I'm damn impressed with what I'm seeing on the court right now..

Here is how I see it playing out

Minnesota (Win)
@ Northwestern (Win)
Rutgers (Win)

@ Nebraska (Loss) Tough Team at Home
Illinois (Win)
@ Penn State (Win)

@ Indiana (Loss)
Northwestern (Win)

Iowa finishes 12-6 in the Big Ten and 22-10 Overall.. I see Iowa as the 2 or 3 seed in the Big Ten Tournament and go 1 and 1.. They will head into the NCAA Tournament with a 23-11 Record and receive a 6 seed..

I don't want to even try to guess tournament seeding at this point.. Too much basketball to go. But, I think I'll concur with your W/L record the rest of the way.

The schedule is manageable, but I'll predict a loss @IU, and I figured probably at least one other game where the team doesn't play well. The game in Lincoln seems like as good a guess as any. The ILL game is dangerous IMO.

I'm not buying 4-4 or 8-0.. 8-0 would mean 10 straight wins. 10 in a row in this league is a tough road to hoe for almost anyone. Has Iowa EVER won 8 straight Big Ten games, much less 10?

On the other hand, Iowa is better than 4-4 against this schedule. (You would think)

Last edited:
IMO I would set the odds of winning these 3 road games at

Nebraska: 43%
Indiana: 35%
Penn State: 48%

HawkPrd - not trying to call you out, but do you think Iowa will be underdogs in the Nebraska and Penn State games? I think the % should be above 50% on both those.

I think Iowa's chances of winning both of those games is 35-40% (Neb 65% x PSU 60% = 39%)

Ceiling: 7-1
Floor: 4-4
Likely: 5-3 or 6-2

I'm leaning towards 6-2. Iowa is capable of beating every team on their schedule and will probably be favored in all but 1 game. However, Iowa will not shoot 60%+ in every game going forward. I don't see Iowa going undefeated because it is so hard for any basketball team to play consistent night after night.

HawkPrd - not trying to call you out, but do you think Iowa will be underdogs in the Nebraska and Penn State games? I think the % should be above 50% on both those.

I think Iowa's chances of winning both of those games is 35-40% (Neb 65% x PSU 60% = 39%)

Guessing not favored in either Nebraska or Penn State by Vegas line. Vegas had Iowa a 1 point dog going to Purdue.

Iowa finishes 12-6 in the Big Ten...

Based on this team's body of work thus far (good and bad) I think this is a fair projection. I'm trying to get an idea if this is sole possession of 2nd place, the 2 seed in the tournament, etc. Below are the (2nd place) contenders (4 loss teams) toughest remaining games IMO.

MD (7-4) - IN, WI and @ NE (NE Senior Day)
OSU (7-4) - @ MSU, @ MI and WI (OSU Senior Day)
IN (7-4) - @ MD, Iowa and MSU (IN Senior Day)
PU (7-4) - @ IN, @ OSU and @ MSU (MSU Senior Day)
MSU (6-4) - OSU, @ MI, @ IL, @ WI and @ IN (IN Senior Day)

Below is nothing more than a guess...based on how the games probably should go.

MD 13-5
IN 13-5
IA 12-6
OSU 12-6
MSU 11-7
PU 11-7

With this scenario...Iowa ends up in a tie for 4th and gets the 4 seed thanks to the OSU sweep. We play OSU on Friday and if we win it's WI on Saturday.

I think Iowa has to go 13-5 to avoid WI. Beat IN and we're the 2 seed and MD is the 3 seed. Beat NE and we're the 3 seed with IN the 2 seed and MD the 4 seed...getting us a date with MSU on Friday.

Again this is all total speculation. But we really need 7-1 with a win @ IN and the 2 seed...for our best chance to win the BTT. We then get PU, MD and the WI/OSU winner.

Based on this team's body of work thus far (good and bad) I think this is a fair projection. I'm trying to get an idea if this is sole possession of 2nd place, the 2 seed in the tournament, etc. Below are the (2nd place) contenders (4 loss teams) toughest remaining games IMO.

MD 13-5
IN 13-5
IA 12-6
OSU 12-6
MSU 11-7
PU 11-7

With this scenario...Iowa ends up in a tie for 4th and gets the 4 seed thanks to the OSU sweep. We play OSU on Friday and if we win it's WI on Saturday.

I think Iowa has to go 13-5 to avoid WI. Beat IN and we're the 2 seed and MD is the 3 seed. Beat NE and we're the 3 seed with IN the 2 seed and MD the 4 seed...getting us a date with MSU on Friday.

Again this is all total speculation. But we really need 7-1 with a win @ IN and the 2 seed...for our best chance to win the BTT. We then get PU, MD and the WI/OSU winner.

Pretty good break down but i don't think there is any way indiana only loses 1 more game. They rely on outside shooting way too much for that to happen. Not to mention the fact that they aren't very good. I would say there is about a 75% chance that 12-6 gets us a 2 seed. Actually it might even be higher than that because of tie breakers.

MD 13-5
IN 13-5
IA 12-6
OSU 12-6
MSU 11-7
PU 11-7

Crazy to think but Iowa could finish 12-6 and get from a 2 all the way to as worse as a 6 seed for BTT it all depends on how things play out.

Remember a year ago when they were playing so well and we all thought they were going to cruise right into the big dance? Remember how that turned out? Basically, I have no idea how they are going to finish but want to believe this team is much better.

Pretty good break down but i don't think there is any way indiana only loses 1 more game. They rely on outside shooting way too much for that to happen. Not to mention the fact that they aren't very good. I would say there is about a 75% chance that 12-6 gets us a 2 seed. Actually it might even be higher than that because of tie breakers.

I don't disagree with your opinion of Indiana but their schedule is favorable.

@ MD
MN
PU
@ RUT
@ NW
IA
MSU

I have them down for a loss tonight and then winning the last 6. If they're not making the 3 then they likely lose to Iowa and/or Purdue because of the advantage on the inside. MSU could always get them. But being objective on a game by game basis I have them at 13-5...even though I think it will probably be 12-6. They have already won their home games with Ohio State and Maryland.

Crazy to think but Iowa could finish 12-6 and get from a 2 all the way to as worse as a 6 seed for BTT it all depends on how things play out.

I used that generator feature from another thread and ran a bunch of scenarios. If Iowa is 12-6 they were always in the top 4 seeds. There is probably a scenario where they are 12-6 but not a top 4 seed but I didn't enter the right game by game variation to get there.

I used that generator feature from another thread and ran a bunch of scenarios. If Iowa is 12-6 they were always in the top 4 seeds. There is probably a scenario where they are 12-6 but not a top 4 seed but I didn't enter the right game by game variation to get there.

If Hawks go 12-6 I would be ELATED, not give too many craps about the btt, and look forward to the real tourney.
Again, I just want a floor 4-4 finish. Last year burns too fresh....

Latest posts