FILM ROOM: Cade McNamara

Some great passes in those highlights. Too bad KFz doesn't allow his quarterbacks to throw the ball downfield

KF is fine throwing the ball down the field. What he is not fine with is taking sacks and turning the ball over. If the offensive staff and QB can be effective taking shots down the field, KF will be fine with that. We have a QB who clearly can push the ball down the field, now we need an OL who can protect and WRs who can stretch the field. Let's hope that comes together.....

Some great passes in those highlights. Too bad KFz doesn't allow his quarterbacks to throw the ball downfield
I've seen him be fine with it, except maybe last year because he knew the line was going to give any QB playing for Iowa approximately 1.3 seconds to get rid of the ball. Otherwise, a sack. Rinse and repeat.

Hope this year is different!

I also really liked what I've heard from Carson Palmers brother who has trained him off and on since he was a 6th grader I believe. He absolutely loves the guy and has been training lots of qbs over the years. I think Cade is really legit. Here's to hoping we can put an Oline in front of him worth a crap and a WR or two.

What I like about his accuracy being what it is it allows for RAC. Something Petras couldn't hardly do because he was so inaccurate even on the passes he did complete. He was often late or throwing it too low or high and making RAC yards impossible. Timing has a large part to do with being accurate on Cades big plays he's setting his back foot and it's gone. Even in crappy cold weather the kid can sling it. He impresses me and I'm tickled pink we have him for not 1 but 2 yrs

Last edited:
I also really liked what I've heard from Carson Palmers brother who has trained him off and on since he was a 6th grader I believe. He absolutely loves the guy and has been training lots of qbs over the years. I think Cade is really legit. Here's to hoping we can put an Oline in front of him worth a crap and a WR or two
For sure - those private QB coaches are always pretty legit sources of intel. Real straight shooters, even when it's something we don't want to hear. "Yeah, this kid's parents have paid me $274,000 total over the past 7 years, but he is average at best. He looks decent in the footwork drills I post online, but that doesn't really equate to playing Power 5 football."

In contrast, remember what Petras' and Padilla's QB coaches said last spring? They said they didn't envy Iowa's coaches, because they had two really good quarterbacks on their hands and it sure wasn't gonna be an easy decision on who started. Nailed that one.

For sure - those private QB coaches are always pretty legit sources of intel. Real straight shooters, even when it's something we don't want to hear. "Yeah, this kid's parents have paid me $274,000 total over the past 7 years, but he is average at best. He looks decent in the footwork drills I post online, but that doesn't really equate to playing Power 5 football."

In contrast, remember what Petras' and Padilla's QB coaches said last spring? They said they didn't envy Iowa's coaches, because they had two really good quarterbacks on their hands and it sure wasn't gonna be an easy decision on who started. Nailed that one.
Yeah Petras worked with the same NJ guy that the recruit Lainez we have coming in with did. Raccioppi or something like that. I don't remember if he worked with him for multiple off seasons or not though. Padilla I don't remember who he worked with I don't think it was the same guy though.

Timing of when you hear them say things matters. Sure it's easy to say hey this guy is going to be good when he hasn't played much like Padilla. Some just have more credibility then others. Jordan Palmer has been at this quite awhile now. The list of QBs in the NFL he's worked with prior to them getting there is pretty much a who's who. Josh Allen Joe Burrow Trever Lawrence to name 3. I don't take him as a BSer at all. He's a straight shooter

Cade has overachieved every step of his journey so far due to his fundamentals being great. He isn't the biggest strongest quickest or fastest with the best arm ever. But he's plenty good enough to make all the plays so long as he's on time, feet are set etc.

After viewing this content and looking at our schedule, I'm not sure who we lose to prior to the conference title game. I'm usually pretty pessimistic but I think if Iowa has a shot at the playoff this is probably the last time it will happen under Ferentz. Based on past data we are due for another Ferentz miracle this year.

After viewing this content and looking at our schedule, I'm not sure who we lose to prior to the conference title game. I'm usually pretty pessimistic but I think if Iowa has a shot at the playoff this is probably the last time it will happen under Ferentz. Based on past data we are due for another Ferentz miracle this year.
The west is gonna be a crapshoot. New coaches at Neb, Wisky and Purdue. MN is losing a lot in regards to starters I think. Northwestern should probably stink again that's probably the most sure thing to bet on (I'll probably be dead wrong about that since I'm saying it now) But if ever the west should be ours for the taking it's now right?

I don't see us winning in Happy Valley. We are probably a push in Ames or slight dog. We should be favored about everywhere else. At least on paper before the bullets start to fly.

The West is certainly there for the taking, and we have the personnel in place to be better than we were last year on offense, and hopefully replicate what we did on defense and STs. We shall see.

I like the highlights where CM was throwing TDs to All.

I also really liked what I've heard from Carson Palmers brother who has trained him off and on since he was a 6th grader I believe. He absolutely loves the guy and has been training lots of qbs over the years. I think Cade is really legit. Here's to hoping we can put an Oline in front of him worth a crap and a WR or two.

What I like about his accuracy being what it is it allows for RAC. Something Petras couldn't hardly do because he was so inaccurate even on the passes he did complete. He was often late or throwing it too low or high and making RAC yards impossible. Timing has a large part to do with being accurate on Cades big plays he's setting his back foot and it's gone. Even in crappy cold weather the kid can sling it. He impresses me and I'm tickled pink we have him for not 1 but 2 yrs

Spence didn't have a lot of time to scan the field and decide whom to toss the ball to

A lot of the time last season he had 2 seconds, sometimes a little less to throw the ball

Of course, he did throw the ball 2/3 feet in front of a wide-open receiver 5 feet from the goal line
in the Illinois game

:cool:

The west is gonna be a crapshoot. New coaches at Neb, Wisky and Purdue. MN is losing a lot in regards to starters I think. Northwestern should probably stink again that's probably the most sure thing to bet on (I'll probably be dead wrong about that since I'm saying it now) But if ever the west should be ours for the taking it's now right?

The West has felt it was there for the taking for like the last 5 years. I know the program is in the Top 20 in wins during that time span, but man it sure does feel like a lot of meat was left on that bone.

I see a lot of recent Penn St quarterbacks Trace McSorley and Mike Clifford in McNamara. McNamara a slightly better passer and Clifford/McSorley better runners.

I acknowledge that I want Iowa to have a quarterback that can use his feet so desperately. That I might be seeing things in McNamara that do not exist.:)

KF can and will throw down the field historically. Maybe not w Davis. Actually KF historically throws more downfield than did HF. HF liked the sidelines. HF didn't like interceptions.

Doesn't seem to have a strong arm. In the videos he had a pocket to throw from. Seems to have field awareness. I didn't see a fantastic qb. Solid. Some speed. Going to guess he had fast deceptive receivers. Iowa type receivers seem to need a strong armed delivery due to long routes. We'll see.

Anyone see where Montana talked about his lack of arm strength and he had to release quickly so Rice/Solomon didn't outrun his arm.

Last edited:
Spence didn't have a lot of time to scan the field and decide whom to toss the ball to

A lot of the time last season he had 2 seconds, sometimes a little less to throw the ball

Of course, he did throw the ball 2/3 feet in front of a wide-open receiver 5 feet from the goal line
in the Illinois game

:cool:
That's what frustrated us so much about Petras was when ever he did have some time and an open receiver witch was few and far between he couldn't hit em consistently. Because even if he coulda done that it woulda kept drives alive and converted some more 3rd downs. Just flipping the field position more often woulda been largely beneficial to us. That's what killed us against OSU. We kept punting the ball back to them on the wrong side of the 50. They scored all those points but hardly had any yards due to it. In the other one score games we lost just an extra 1st down here and there coulda mattered. That's just how bad we were.

Doesn't seem to have a strong arm. In the videos he had a pocket to throw from. Seems to have field awareness. I didn't see a fantastic qb. Solid. Some speed. Going to guess he had fast deceptive receivers. Iowa type receivers seem to need a strong armed delivery due to long routes. We'll see.

Anyone see where Montana talked about his lack of arm strength and he had to release quickly so Rice/Solomon didn't outrun his arm.
I don't think we expect the second coming of Joe Burrow. What Iowa's offense needs to be is just competent. Explosive is so far outside of my wish list I can barely utter the words. We need a guy that can accurately distribute the ball, make smart decisions with the ball, scramble here and there, and just keep the chains moving. Give the defense a break. Get into favorable field goal or punting position to flip the field, and punch in 3 TDs per game. You don't need a superstar to do that.

I don't think we expect the second coming of Joe Burrow. What Iowa's offense needs to be is just competent. Explosive is so far outside of my wish list I can barely utter the words. We need a guy that can accurately distribute the ball, make smart decisions with the ball, scramble here and there, and just keep the chains moving. Give the defense a break. Get into favorable field goal or punting position to flip the field, and punch in 3 TDs per game. You don't need a superstar to do that.
Agree. Just noting he had a lot of time on those passes and most were long. The routes appeared to be quick moves and not drawn out. Not exactly Iowa's forte'. Was disappointed with the arm strength... meaning lack of it. Don't know if I have ever seen an Iowa QB has as weak of arm strength...granted the video was limited. I can now kind of see what Iowa recruited the Wisc qb as he's built like a tank.

Agree. Just noting he had a lot of time on those passes and most were long. The routes appeared to be quick moves and not drawn out. Not exactly Iowa's forte'. Was disappointed with the arm strength... meaning lack of it. Don't know if I have ever seen an Iowa QB has as weak of arm strength...granted the video was limited. I can now kind of see what Iowa recruited the Wisc qb as he's built like a tank.
Rudock didn't exactly have a cannon either but he did ok. I think Cades is better then his was. I don't think it's less than anyway. I'd be fine with a qb that's more accurate that can convert 3rd and 8s compared to a strong armed guy like Petras that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn